SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moonlite Focuser for Bresser?.

I'm sure somewhere on the forum here I've seen a Moonlite focuser fitted to the New Bresser AR127L (hex focuser addition).

Does anyone have this setup?. Or could confirm that there is this option without modification?.

Thanks Rob

Edited by Rob
typo
  • Like 1

ok heres my thought dont get mad just saying my opinion

i just repleced the stock focuser of my tak tsa 102 to a moonlight dual speed AND it was very expensive. iam talking about the whole focuser asseble tho not sure if u can just get a cheaper set-up. total cost me $712, now if i didnt have a expensive scope and it was a more entry level i probally wounld not have done it.

since i see u r talking about a 5" acro would it make sence to sell it and dont spend the money on the focuser and maybe just something bigger or apo? just throwing that out there. to me the focuser would be  2x the amount of the scope. Altho again iam not sure if theres a cheaper adptor that can be just attcked to the end to make it alot cheaper than mine was, cause mine is threaded from the end of the tube etc.

joejaguar

• Like 1

These are all the flanges that Moonlite do for various refractors. My suspicion is that they won't have one currently with the Bresser AR127L name on it but one of the others is probably the right one, either a Meade or an ES probably because those brands have had strong connections with Bresser products. The question is which one precisely .....

https://focuser.com/refractorflange.php

If you can get the flange sorted out, the rest is easy :smiley:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

I think it's a great thought, Joe. Makes a lot of sense. I've recently ordered a Moonlite from FLO but only because I have a gorgeous old-time Vixen 102s fluorite whose focuser was letting down the side. A few years back I did the same for Lunt's H-alpha 60mm. If either of them had been less than keeper status, personally I don't think I would have bothered with such an upgrade.

17 hours ago, Rob Sellent said:

I think it's a great thought, Joe. Makes a lot of sense. I've recently ordered a Moonlite from FLO but only because I have a gorgeous old-time Vixen 102s fluorite whose focuser was letting down the side. A few years back I did the same for Lunt's H-alpha 60mm. If either of them had been less than keeper status, personally I don't think I would have bothered with such an upgrade.

I agree too Rob.........

17 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

i just repleced the stock focuser of my tak tsa 102 to a moonlight dual speed AND it was very expensive. iam talking about the whole focuser asseble tho not sure if u can just get a cheaper set-up. total cost me $712, now if i didnt have a expensive scope and it was a more entry level i probally wounld not have done it.

since i see u r talking about a 5" acro would it make sence to sell it and dont spend the money on the focuser and maybe just something bigger or apo? just throwing that out there. to me the focuser would be  2x the amount of the scope. Altho again iam not sure if theres a cheaper adptor that can be just attcked to the end to make it alot cheaper than mine was, cause mine is threaded from the end of the tube etc.

joejaguar

In principle I agree Joe.. and not mad at all!. Now 1 issue.. I cant sell it as it was a gift from what was then my wife to be (now wife ..aka Boss). Shes also asked that I don't sell..

Fortunately I own a good example. Its not that I don't like the Hex focuser in all honesty either. However I bought the 1:10 upgrade and fitted. Its not working correctly, and to add insult I cannot get the thing off!. It just works when it wants to. The grub screws are all jammed, so I cant even take it apart to regrease. Clearly a lemon!.

This broken 1:10 is annoying me hugely....

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I cant sell it as it was a gift from what was then my wife to be (now wife...

Congratulations, Rob :icon_biggrin: It's nice to read some good news from time to time rather than all the doom and gloom we're currently experiencing on both sides of the continent. From where I'm sitting - a sunny blue sky Spain :laugh: -  it makes perfect sense to upgrade with a Moonlite. I feel they're worth every penny and with the Lunt 60, I am really impressed with its precision, smoothness and strength. When the focusser comes for the Vixen, I'll let you know how it goes :thumbright: As you already know, a focusser is a critical piece of the equation, as important as good eyepieces and mount that can make or break the viewing experience. That you're adding a decent bit of kit on such a quality loving present from your wife only deserves clear skies for eternity :smiley:

• Thanks 1

I had a bresser 127L, which I sold to finance a SW 120Ed. In all honesty I found the R&P hexafoc (single speed) much better than the sw dual speed crayford even though it's a good specimen. Especially with 2" diagonal and heavy eyepieces.

If you just want to invest in a nice accessory for your scope go for a sw 72ed to use as a finder.🤟

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob said:

I agree too Rob.........

In principle I agree Joe.. and not mad at all!. Now 1 issue.. I cant sell it as it was a gift from what was then my wife to be (now wife ..aka Boss). Shes also asked that I don't sell..

Fortunately I own a good example. Its not that I don't like the Hex focuser in all honesty either. However I bought the 1:10 upgrade and fitted. Its not working correctly, and to add insult I cannot get the thing off!. It just works when it wants to. The grub screws are all jammed, so I cant even take it apart to regrease. Clearly a lemon!.

This broken 1:10 is annoying me hugely....

Contact Bresser. They have a good warranty department and are quite likely to fix the focuser if you let them know you have a problem (and the receipts!). 

• Like 1

I Appreciate your replies all!. Thanks

I will contact Bresser as suggested firstly, may still go down the Moonlight or even the Feather touch upgrade as noted on the Bresser site (also movable to other Bresser & ES ED scopes)

Rob

• Thanks 1

The Mmonlite looks nice but Isn’t perfect. there are others of similar quality for less. The Baader Diamond Steeltrack is a stronger and more durable focuser that is very highly regarded. The Feathertouch is superb but so eye wateringly expensive nowadays..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-diamond-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-diamond-nt-for-newtonians.html

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Mmonlite looks nice but Isn’t perfect. there are others of similar quality for less. The Baader Diamond Steeltrack is a stronger and more durable focuser that is very highly regarded. The Feathertouch is superb but so eye wateringly expensive nowadays..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-diamond-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-diamond-nt-for-newtonians.html

Thanks John. I assume the Baader ST focusers flange is equal to the FT one?. I know I would still need the Bresser Adapter, but that's fine. Humm I do like those ST focusers I have to say.

I have a Feathertouch on my 130mm F/9.2 triplet refractor. It is superb in every respect. I like the Moonlites and have a couple of those but the Feathertouch is in a different league again. Pricewise too, unfortunately !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I use the Baader on Big Red.

F33E96B2-4AEF-4ECF-B11A-CCB7482F5DD6.jpeg

Nice setup all round there John.

I know the Baader focusers have a great rep. FLO have replied to me already. I need to measure the diameter on the scope. So that's the next step

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

The issue I had with the Baader was that when I wanted to fit one to an original Starwave 102 f/11 that Baader didn't offer the correct fitting off the shelf and required measurements from me to make up a specific one. I think I had the same issue when I wanted to fit one to my WO ZS66SD as well.   I was happy measuring the diameter, but wasn't confident measuring the thread pitch.

I wasn't confident that my measurements would be accurate enough for it to fit properly, so I gave up and approached Moonlite who told me which of their flanges would fit, then I ordered from FLO.

Its a long wait (6 weeks so far) but I am confident that it will fit when I receive it.

I have an original Steeltrack fitted to my Lunt LS60 and its superb I just wish they offered a wider range of fittings for it off the shelf.  Its simple if its the standard Synta three bolt fitting.

• Like 1