Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart Nebula HaSHO

Rodd

This image has been plagued with mottling in the red channel.  Also, the saturation level was always way off the chart high.  I was finally able to fix all that.  I reprocessed the image to what I believe is decent effect.  I refrained from removing all the green, and I stayed my hand when deciding on a saturation level--especially for blue.  Full resolution viewing now is not nearly as traumatic to the eye!  The combination of the wide-ish FOV and small pixels provides a wide range of viewing scales.  As always CC is welscomed and respected.

FSQ 106 2ith .6x reducer and ASI 1600

Ha: 29 300sec

OIII: 38 300sec

SII: 31 300sec

HaSHO-new-1g.thumb.jpg.fab0f7dfabc9cebc3c5d66079938df45.jpg

• Like 19

Wow, that's a bit special Rodd, it reminds me of a Roger Dean art work, the guy that painted so many album covers for bands like Yes among other, this is something I wish to try though I don't have Ha and Olll, only OSC. But I want to take it with my Borg 77EDii as I can get the whole nebula in shot with that scope. May even get the Soul Neb in as well if I use the 071.

Alan 

26 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Wow, that's a bit special Rodd, it reminds me of a Roger Dean art work, the guy that painted so many album covers for bands like Yes among other, this is something I wish to try though I don't have Ha and Olll, only OSC. But I want to take it with my Borg 77EDii as I can get the whole nebula in shot with that scope. May even get the Soul Neb in as well if I use the 071.

Alan 

Thanks Alan. I had to give this one another go as the mottling and saturation always bothered me.  The mottling was at very small scales so the image was passable. To get rid of it I used Olly’s suggestion of hitting the color channels hard with noise control and inserting the Ha as luminance. Works like laying luminance over the color in PS I think.

I think you will get a very nice result with the Borg 77.

Rodd

Edited by Rodd

38 minutes ago, astro mick said:

This gives a great 3D effect Rob,its like looking through a hole in space to another Universe.

Exerllent my friend.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.  I hear the passion for our craft in your words.  Quite refreshing!

Rodd

• Like 1

Excellent image, Rodd.

Btw, you probably noticed it yourself, there is a small galaxy left of the nebula. I never noticed it before in images of this target. Usually it is just outside the frame.

Edited by wimvb

10 hours ago, Rodd said:

Well--I think this is it.  I removed some of the purple patches and gave the dark structures a more smokey, charcoalish appearance.

HaSHO-new-1g5a.thumb.jpg.24be9e0d7fac7bb9e89b648dc3e554dd.jpg

That's probably as good as any I have seen of this target (maybe better) , absolutely brilliant, puts my efforts to shame but at the same time inspires me to try the target again as there is so much more to it than I managed with my first attempt.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Excellent image, Rodd.

Btw, you probably noticed it yourself, there is a small galaxy left of the nebula. I never noticed it before in images of this target. Usually it is just outside the frame.

Could that really be a galaxy? I assume it would have to be very bright to shine through that dust. There is a fuzzy thing in the same spot in this APOD image:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190911.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Excellent image, Rodd.

Thanks Wim.  If you are referring to the little blue splotch within the orange field left of the nebula, I never knew that was a galaxy.  I always thought it was just a blue blotch artifact (a new designation).  But now that you mention it and I look at it with the word galaxy in my mind--it does look like a spiral galaxy with a distiguishable core--I guess the blue through me off.  

Rodd

42 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

That's probably as good as any I have seen of this target (maybe better) , absolutely brilliant, puts my efforts to shame but at the same time inspires me to try the target again as there is so much more to it than I managed with my first attempt.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Your inspiration is inspiring!

Rodd

40 minutes ago, gorann said:

Could that really be a galaxy? I assume it would have to be very bright to shine through that dust. There is a fuzzy thing in the same spot in this APOD image:

I thin PN is more likely--but that's just a guess

Rodd

• Like 1