Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plate Solving software

TerryMcK

This has probably been asked many, many times before but I am interested in what other members have had success with.

I've installed and configured AstroTortilla and had varying degrees of success with it. However it does not always work and when I try goto image, load a TIF and let it plate solve it rarely works. Even changing the parameters to arcsecperpix works very occassionally - that seems to have been the most reliable. Having said that it is flakey probably due to my installation. I used this tutorial to install it https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-and-using-astrotortilla-for-plate-solving.html

I probably need to re-install it again but....

What other plate solving software tools do you use? I would prefer something offline, like astrotortilla, but if an internet connection is required I'm fine with that too.

Another question on AstroTortilla - the website shows software from about 2014 and a beta from 2016 - is it still being actively developed ?

Edited by TerryMcK

I don't use automatic platesolving that often, but when I have I've used the built in functionality of AstroArt. Overall I've found that to work reasonably well, though Astrotortilla looks to be more powerful. You can also set up Astrometry.net to run locally, though I have not had any joy with that.

Billy.

Hello TerryMcK,

Since you ask "What other plate solving software tools do you use? I would prefer something offline, like astrotortilla, but if an internet connection is required I'm fine with that too."

Do you want to use PLATESOLVING for GOTO purposes and to control or direct /control your mount? then have a look to NINA. https://nighttime-imaging.eu/download/

If you want to plate solve only then have a look also to https://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

Both combined, are one of the best combinations you can use to control your mount and imaging purposes and also for plate solving..

Here is another great plate solver, http://www.astrogb.com/astrogb/All_Sky_Plate_Solver.html 

byxe

Martin 

Yes it would be nice to use platesolving for GOTO. I must say I'm also using BackyardEOS Canon version to control the camera at the moment. I note that NINA doesn't appear to have that as a camera option yet. Ultimately I will use a full astro CCD but for the time being just a DSLR.

I also use PHD2 for guiding and have an HEQ5 Pro mount controlled through the ASCOM driver.

Edited by TerryMcK

Hello TerryMcK,

As far I know, N.I.N.A supports also DSLR.. just open  N.I.N.A and see the Camera List, I did never use N.I.N.A with any DSLR, only with CCD.. but just connect your DSLR via USB to your laptop and try it with N.I.N.A.

I guess it should work..

Cheers

Martin

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

I also use PHD2 for guiding and have an HEQ5 Pro mount controlled through the ASCOM driver.

And N.I.N.A supports also PHD2 Guiding.. " by the way " and also ASCOM is supported by N.I.N.A + FOCUS " automated + manual " .

regards

Martin 

Edited by Guest

For me, Astro Photography Tool and its use of platesolving and GOTO has been fantastic. It's dirt cheap and integrates image capture/goto/plate solving/focus

I have played with N.I.N.A but think it's got a way to go yet. 

Astro Photography Tool is only 18 euro initially and then 6 euro a year after that. 

the plate solving is carried out by APT but uses platesolve 2 and ASPS

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

For me, Astro Photography Tool and its use of platesolving and GOTO has been fantastic. It's dirt cheap and integrates image capture/goto/plate solving/focus

I have played with N.I.N.A but think it's got a way to go yet. 

Astro Photography Tool is only 18 euro initially and then 6 euro a year after that. 

the plate solving is carried out by APT but uses platesolve 2 and ASPS

+1

APT and platesolving was a Godsend for me in my early stages of AP. Before I discovered this I spent so long finding the image and framing it correctly the clouds were out before I got any proper data.

Now I am there in maybe 3 clicks of different command buttons in APT. I am sure lots of apps use platesolving (and yes as you say strictly speaking the work is not done with APT but other software) and are just as easy.

I couldn't think of being without it now.

Steve

I use PinPoint with the GSC 1.1 catalogue, but don't use it natively but from within Maxim DL and the ASA Sequence software. The only times I've had any problems they've been due to other things such as not specifying the camera / 'scope parameters or when the cameras has played up. Otherwise spot on.

APT is a +1 and in the early days it just made life so much easier, great support from Ivo and very good value for money. I have yet to try out NINA but have it installed ready to go. First glance it looks so similar to sgpro (which I am using now) but with the additional bonus or being able to browse an image list for targets.

TerryMcK,

Your experiences sound like what I was struggling with two weeks ago. One of the very helpful replies referred to this tutorial - which was helpful - https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-setting-up-and-using-astrotortilla-for-plate-solving.html 

You also might look back thru this discussion -

Stash and Martin both jumped in to help me and included some screenshots of their settings which also helped. It was interesting that one had downscaling set to "0" the other had it set to "1", but both configurations worked. One suggestion as a starting point, is to take an image from the preview folder where BYEOS (I also use that for camera control) stores the images requested by AT and upload it to astrometry.net and see if it solves.

My "stupid stick" error was I had a discrepancy between the settings of the -L and -H values in the option line, and what the settings were for the Scale Min and Scale Max. They are the same. I deleted the settings in the option line - they were redundantly "wrong" - lol. 

I did have some weird errors with AT after my laptop was upgraded Friday to Win 10 1903. BYEO had startup licensing issues, which I quickly fixed, but AT was just a mess. It was solving, but with the target off to the left of the BYEOS target/focusing circle. I completely deleted and reloaded AT Saturday afternoon and AT behaved perfectly Saturday night.  It's a marvelous tool - when it works <s>.

One other thing - make sure port 1499 is open in BYEOS - otherwise the two pieces of software can't talk to each other. Windows will ask you to confirm you want that port open.

I am by NO means an experienced user - but it sounds like you have the same issues I was struggling with. It is very much worth the effort to get it working. A whole different imaging experience now that AT is working seamlessly with CDC and BYEOS.

Rich

• Like 1

Some great replies from everybody. I have reinstalled the 64bit version of AstroTortilla (was previously the x86 version) and this is noticeably faster , installed a demo version of APT, installed PlateSolve, UCAC3PS and ASPS (for APT integration).

Now just have to wait for some clear skies. I think it may be OK tonight 07/10/2019 in north west England. 🤞

1 minute ago, TerryMcK said:

Some great replies from everybody. I have reinstalled the 64bit version of AstroTortilla (was previously the x86 version) and this is noticeably faster , installed a demo version of APT, installed PlateSolve, UCAC3PS and ASPS (for APT integration).

Now just have to wait for some clear skies. I think it may be OK tonight 07/10/2019 in north west England. 🤞

make sure all of the camera settings are correct in the platesolving apps and that the catalogues needed are downloaded.

after you've used pointcraft goto++ there's no going back.

pointcraft for goto++ platesolving and Sharpcap for PA make the hobby so much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

No need to wait for clear skies - if you have some old images try them out during the day to test your settings - too late in the dark or when loosing valuable clear skies 🙂