Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8” Classical Cassegrain vs Skymax 180

Have been wondering how these two scopes compare. 

The Cassegrain has more aperture and no meniscus lens and should cool down faster and has a crayford focuser and a fixed primary. Made by GSO and the same as the TS and Orion versions. 

Omegon Cassegrain Pro CC 203/2436 OTA

https://www.omegon.eu/telescopes/omegon-cassegrain-telescope-pro-cc-203-2436-ota/p,61487

However not a lot of reviews out there although the few do seem positive. I mean I like my Skymax 180 but would there be any advantage in changing it for the classical Cassegrain. .

Hmmmmmmm 🤔

Edited by johninderby

Thanks for the link. Confirms my opinion that the 8” cass will be a bit better than the 180 Mak. Sounds like a great all round performer with less priblems with changing temps. 👍🏻

Edited by johninderby

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

A cheaper alternative. 🙂

Sort of halfway between the Skymax and the Mewlon? 🤔

That probably sounds about right. The Mewlon has an oversized primary so is presumably 'full aperture', plus probably better figured or at least more consistently figured optics. Hopefully you will enjoy the scope, a nice alternative to the usual options.

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

While googling Cassegrain came across this. Not exactly what I was looking for even if it is a Cassegrain. 😳

15D68C6A-08B0-476B-94A0-9846EB0F846B.jpeg

No, I don't suppose you would be very 'a pea' about that if it turned up.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread? 😉

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, johninderby said:

While googling Cassegrain came across this. Not exactly what I was looking for even if it is a Cassegrain. 😳

15D68C6A-08B0-476B-94A0-9846EB0F846B.jpeg

Nobody could ever accuse you of kicking the can down the road, John

🙂

• Haha 2

Black or white. 🤔

After double checking the prices find Telescope Express is a few pounds cheaper but shipping is slightly more. Only 3 quid more for the TS but shipping by DPD so I’ll know exactly when it’s arriving. 

3C42BB31-A2EE-4149-BDCF-68D1F8B636A6.jpeg

555A2CC5-BB41-4597-BC12-A851EBC9F7A4.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

How significant are coma and astigmatism with the Omegon in practice - any good practical assessments from "discerning users"?

As it is a classical cassegrain design, presumably there are diffraction spikes as well?

Chris

Edited by chiltonstar

Coma and astigmatism don’t seem to ba any problem from the reviews I have read. It seems to be really well corrected. 

As it’s really a lunar & planetary scope spikes are a non issue but only seem to be present on very bright stars.

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Coma and astigmatism don’t seem to ba any problem from the reviews I have read. It seems to be really well corrected. 

As it’s really a lunar & planetary scope spikes are a non issue but only seem to be present on very bright stars.

But aren't the deficiencies of a classical cassegrain design addressed with evolved designs like the Rumak (eg 180 Mak)? Maybe modern optical materials have improved classical cassegrains?

Chris