Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular observing in Kent

Hi!

The forecast is for clear skies across the board tonight here in Kent so I plan on making the most of it! I will be visiting a quiet beach along the North Kent coast where I've seen spectacular dark skies in the past but this time I'll be armed with my binoculars. 🕵️‍♀️

Is there anything you would recommend looking out for at this time of year?

Thanks,

Cary

34 minutes ago, Cary Jacobs said:

The forecast is for clear skies across the board tonight here in Kent

Let's hope so, the forecast was for clear skies all day but as soon as I set up for solar it's clouded over 😟

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cary Jacobs said:

Is there anything you would recommend looking out for at this time of year?

It's a very common question from beginners who probably don't know that many things can be observed with binoculars on any night. Too many to make a practical list in a post. We've been advising beginners to start with binocs instead of a telescope, but I'm starting to think a sky atlas should come first. Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas is ideal, not too big, not overwhelming with too many entries, costs only 20€, and complete enough to be used at the telescope for several years after the binocular initiation.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p193_Kompakte-Version-des-Sky-Atlas-2000---bis-7-6mag.html

• Like 1