Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik 16200 first light - Heart Nebula

Skipper Billy

Can you turn that filterwheel around so the anti reflective side is facing the camera? I have had halos with my 36mm Baader. I exchanged it for another of the same and was very surprised to find it seems to have cured the issue. (🤞🤞🤞) I have faced all my Baader filters towards the camera. Worth a shot if you can turn the atik wheel around.

OIII test.PNG

9 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Can you turn that filterwheel around so the anti reflective side is facing the camera?

Hello David.

I am going to show my ignorance now! Which is the anti reflective side?? The way they are installed now is that they are screwed into the filter wheel from the scope side of the wheel. IE - the side of the filter that is away from me when screwing the filters in is facing the camera.

I cant see any way to change this as the camera attaches directly to the wheel with three screws and the attachment points on the wheel housing only exist on one side of the wheel.

AFAIK the carousel will only fit in one way round ??  (Its an Atik EFW3) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-accessories/atik-efw-3-filter-wheel.html

Any suggestions gratefully received as the quality of the data looks pretty good apart from these horrible haloes !!!!

27 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Hello David.

I am going to show my ignorance now! Which is the anti reflective side?? The way they are installed now is that they are screwed into the filter wheel from the scope side of the wheel. IE - the side of the filter that is away from me when screwing the filters in is facing the camera.

I cant see any way to change this as the camera attaches directly to the wheel with three screws and the attachment points on the wheel housing only exist on one side of the wheel.

AFAIK the carousel will only fit in one way round ??  (Its an Atik EFW3) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-accessories/atik-efw-3-filter-wheel.html

Any suggestions gratefully received as the quality of the data looks pretty good apart from these horrible haloes !!!!

I also independently picked up on this on your UK AI post on FB, I dont believe that those reflections are normal either.

I never had reflections like that from my Baader OIII filter. Not from stars of that brightness anyhow.

The anti-reflection coating is on the threaded side of the filter and is normally placed facing the sensor.

There is a possibility baader installed the filter backwards in its mount.

Contact your supplier or failing that Baader directly I am sure that they will sort you out.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

I thought the AR coating was supposed to face towards the scope. The unmounted Baaders have an arrow penciled on the edge to indicate which way to orientate them. Baader recommend trying them facing the opposite way, ie, toward the camera to see if it makes a difference. I'm not sure which side the mounted filters have it applied. The ZWO filterwheel has a female M42 thread both sides so can face either way. I currently have AR coatings facing the camera, ie, penciled arrow facing the camera.

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

The anti-reflection coating is on the threaded side of the filter and is normally placed facing the sensor.

Adam

I wonder if I have read your post correctly.

The filters on my SBIG and Moravian cameras both screw in from the sensor side, so the threaded side faces away from the sensor.

1 hour ago, don4l said:

I wonder if I have read your post correctly.

The filters on my SBIG and Moravian cameras both screw in from the sensor side, so the threaded side faces away from the sensor.

I cant comment on those cameras, 

This is the manual for an ATIK one which shows the filters being screwed in from the scope side and the thread side facing the sensor. Hence you need to actually removed the wheel to screw the filters in from the scope side. 

https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/46419_1_AtikOneManual.pdf

this is from baader:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/blog/unmounted-filters-which-side-should-face-the-telescope/

I note that the reflective side of a mounted baader filter is the top and not the side with the threads on it which is less reflective.  Hence the threaded side of the filter should under normal conditions face the sensor. The only time you might have the thread face the scope is if the scope has really poor AR coating on its corrector. 

Now looking for images of the Moravian G2 i see examples in the manual with 31mm unmounted filters but not 1.25 ich filters.....

Hence if they are really that way on your camera, I have trouble with that design choice. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

11 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I cant comment on those cameras, 

This is the manual for an ATIK one which shows the filters being screwed in from the scope side and the thread side facing the sensor. Hence you need to actually removed the wheel to screw the filters in from the scope side. 

https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/46419_1_AtikOneManual.pdf

this is from baader:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/blog/unmounted-filters-which-side-should-face-the-telescope/

I note that the reflective side of a mounted baader filter is the top and not the side with the threads on it which is less reflective.  Hence the threaded side of the filter should under normal conditions face the sensor. The only time you might have the thread face the scope is if the scope has really poor AR coating on its corrector. 

Now looking for images of the Moravian G2 i see examples in the manual with 31mm unmounted filters but not 1.25 ich filters.....

Hence if they are really that way on your camera, I have trouble with that design choice. 

Adam 

Thanks.

I found this in the Baader link that you provided :-

" All cell-mounted filters are already oriented in a way that the most appropriate filter face is facing the sky when the filter would be mounted directly onto the front end of the nosepiece of a camera. "

That actually sounds very sensible to me.

I'll check to see if the Moravian filter wheel will accept the screw in filters from the sky side - it is possible.  The Moravian manual doesn't give a definitive answer.  The unmounted filters definitely go in from the CCD side.

I need a new set of filters anyway, so I guess that I will have to get unmounted.

On 21/09/2019 at 23:07, Skipper Billy said:

Yes there are - but not in the Hubble image. I dont know how to get rid of them or what causes them - I wish I did - very ugly!!

David, some Baader filters had a manufacturing error and you can't get rid of them, if you bring this to their attention they will change them for you.

Originally they denied it possible but then agreed and changed them, so i would send them back and send them the images as proof.

Hi David 

I'm glad to see you getting to grips with that new camera and what a start! Fantastic Images!

I am enjoying the 460 when the weather allows. 

thanks for sharing and I hope you get to the bottom of your halo problem, I had a similar issue with an Oiii filter, I ended up biting the bullet and opting for astrodon but only the 1.25 version s/h, I don't think I'd get away with buying the 2"!

Cheers 

Bryan