Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TV everbrite with Baader Mark V

Kenza

Hi everyone!

I plan to buy the baader mark V bino to use with a CFF 132 triplet and C11. I know that a prism, such as the baader T2 prisms, would be the best choice because of the short glass path. The thing is i already have a perfectly good TV 2” everbrite which i love because of the one piece body construction . My question is will i be able to use this combination at all and are there any restrictions to using this combination? 

Thanks!

Aleksandar

If you already have a TV Everbrite diagonal you have one of the finest diagonals possible.

Just make sure that when the eyepiece is inserted into the diagonal the nosepiece does not contact the mirror, especially if you add the Baader barlow lens.   TV eyepieces would not contact the mirror, all TV products are manufactured to avoid problems when used together, but TV could not be expected to take account of another manufacturers product specifications.

Ed.

• Like 1

Hello . If you already have a TV , then just give it a go and see how you get on. As above just be careful that you do not accidentally tap the mirror.

My experience with the TV diagonals, are that they are extremely well made externally and internally, and mirror quality is top notch. The only downside these days is the cost of a new one. Luckily I got a really good condition one from a fellow SGL member a few years ago at reasonable money. And have never thought or wanted to change. 

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

The only issue I can think of is how easily you can achieve focus with the binoviewer and the diagonal. You are obviously aware that the glass path is critical and that the prism provides a shorter path.

However, I tried a Takahashi prism instead of my Everbrite and made no discernible difference; still had to experiment with Barlow and/or BV nosepiece.

As above, the TV diagonal is up there with the best and you certainly will be able to use the combination you cite, albeit with some additional kit.

Have fun.

I agree with the above comments re: the TV Everbrite diagonals (I have 3 of them). If you get a chance to get an Astro Physics Maxbright I might prefer to go for that but otherwise it's difficult to fault the Everbrites. I have also compared these (including the Astro Physics) to my Baader T2 Zeiss prism diagonal but stuggle to see any obvious differences in the views. The little Baader T2 prism seems to suit my Tak FC-100DL rather well though so thats the scope it serves in :smiley:

Hi Alexandar. It’s not just shorter light path that makes Baader diagonals so useful with the Mk V - the binoviewer comes with a ‘heavy duty’ ring which screws directly onto the T2 diagonal , and which makes positioning the binoviewer at any angle very easy. It’s a wonderfully designed system - and extremely strong, which is necessary as the Mk V is a heavy piece of kit. To use it with a 2” diagonal you’d probably need to add a T2/2” adapter between binoviewer and diagonal - adding further to the light path. 

There might be enough focus travel on the c11 but you may have to use glass path altering barlows/adjusters on the cff. As others have said, I’d try what you have first as the TV is a leading product and in the end, why spend money you don’t need to?  The benefit of improved vision due to binocular summation of using two eyes together is noticeable for me.  I’ve not used any of the products you mention but I am a big fan of bingo viewing for lunar, solar and the larger planets.

Steve 

Here’s a pic of the MkV and the T2 adapter/ring. It doesn’t come with either a 1.25” or 2” nosepiece. If you want to use a 2” diagonal instead of a T2 prism/mirror, you would add a 2”/T2 nosepiece (Baader #T2-16), so the order would be:

Binoviewer with GPC screwed in - heavy duty ring - 2”/T2 nosepiece - 2” diagonal.

Worth making sure first that your refractor will reach focus with such a system. 

3C2CE42A-6D91-4248-9ADD-C0A9418BA61B.jpeg

On 19/09/2019 at 18:30, Highburymark said:

Here’s a pic of the MkV and the T2 adapter/ring. It doesn’t come with either a 1.25” or 2” nosepiece. If you want to use a 2” diagonal instead of a T2 prism/mirror, you would add a 2”/T2 nosepiece (Baader #T2-16), so the order would be:

Binoviewer with GPC screwed in - heavy duty ring - 2”/T2 nosepiece - 2” diagonal.

Worth making sure first that your refractor will reach focus with such a system. 

3C2CE42A-6D91-4248-9ADD-C0A9418BA61B.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I know about the nosepiece. I don’t think there will be a problem to reach focus, CFF has 180 mm backfocus. I reckon that should be enough.

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2019 at 11:01, Kenza said:

Thanks for the info. I know about the nosepiece. I don’t think there will be a problem to reach focus, CFF has 180 mm backfocus. I reckon that should be enough.

With a big 2" Everbrite, i'd say not. 

My advice is to use a Baader prism with the Mk V and keep the Everbrite for cyclops viewing with 2" glass.

Edited by Tubby Bear