Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope help please

Starlight 1

Hi Les,

My bet is that yes, you'd be able to see Saturn's rings. My first scope bought for me by my parents in 1971 when I got good grades in my 'O' Levels, was one of these and it gave me my first view of Saturn's rings....

https://www.gumtree.com/p/binoculars-scopes/charles-frank-saturn-astronomical-telescope-4-inch-diameter-mirror/1300999639

Give it a try....

Good luck, Geof

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

As I recall, I could see Saturn by eye and then in the finderscope but keeping the target within the sensor frame of the webcam was very difficult.  I even made an improved motor drive for the RA axis but I knew nothing about stepper motors in those days and just used DC motors.

• Like 2

Hello Les,

Nice scope.

Both Jupiter and Saturn can be seen in the southern sky at dusk by eye.

Your scope will see the great red spot, moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn too.

Keep the power to around x100 (12mm eyepiece) 👍

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

That's a lovely looking frac, Starlight. Be nice to hear how you get along with the Moon, planets and doubles with the f16 🙂

In my small 76mm, Saturn, its ring and perhaps a moon or two is easy game but I really struggle to see the Cassini Division and when I say struggle, I probably want to say I've found it nearly impossible. Of the age of scopes, within reason, I'm not convinced it really matters. If the optics are good and are kept in good condition, fracs should last a life time. My Vixen is over 25 years old and is probably still one of the nicest 4" you'll ever find. The 76mm is probably over 15 years old and although I feel its optics are dated, it is still a gorgeous scope :smile:.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

That's a lovely looking frac, Starlight. Be nice to hear how you get along with the Moon, planets and doubles with the f16 🙂

In my small 76mm, Saturn, its ring and perhaps a moon or two is easy game but I really struggle to see the Cassini Division and when I say struggle, I probably want to say I've found it nearly impossible. Of the age of scopes, within reason, I'm not convinced it really matters. If the optics are good and are kept in good condition, fracs should last a life time. My Vixen is over 25 years old and is probably still one of the nicest 4" you'll ever find. The 76mm is probably over 15 years old and although I feel its optics are dated, it is still a gorgeous scope :smile:.

Probably closer to 40 years old and still looking great 😀

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starlight 1 said:

What I like to know is my old scope from the 70s/80s scope D76.2 x f1250  I never use this scope BUT will it see Saturn and if any of the rings ?

Les

My late 60s/early 70s 50mm Tasco shows Saturn's rings nicely. My 10" dob shows them rather better!

3 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

how do you work  the F number please.

Focal length of scope divided by diameter of objective. I would estimate your lovely scope as being about f16.

• Thanks 1

Wow - that takes me back! I had the same model of 'scope back in the 80's. Mine was branded "Panorama", but it had the same spec. and was identical in every detail to the one in your picture, Les.

I had many happy years with it, viewing the planets and deep sky objects! I was even able to see the brighter part of the Veil Nebula, with this 'scope and a 20mm eyepiece. Saturn's rings and Jupiter's main belts were no problem, though bear in mind they are low in the sky at the moment and often severely effected by atmospheric turbulence. 

I eventually sold the 'scope to my brother-in-law in the 90's, having bought a Celestron C8. He gave it to his grandson  recently - so it's still in the family, 37 years later.

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I have any details to hand now, as it was a long time ago that I sold it. I know that it was made in Japan, but I've not heard any more about the "Panorama" brand. It may have been that the same telescope was marketed by different companies under different brand names.

Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1