Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did I see Uranus Rings and Moon in Nexstar 4se???

J47

Hello stargazers, welcome. I had posted a picture yesterday of Uranus that had appeared to show its rings. I am using a Nexstar 4se, a 2x Barlow, and my Neximage Burst Color and capturing hundreds of photos and stacking them for my results. But still had me and others curious to if I were actually seeing the rings of Uranus or maybe just a glare of some sort.

So I got back out there this morning, might I note I live in FL where the weather tends to stay hot so clear imaging during this time of year can be difficult, but not impossible as this image that I stacked 150 out of 300 images taken may show that statement holds true..............or I could just be mistaken the object in the image, but all in all I am feeling pretty confident that I have a decently clear image(stacked 150 images) of Uranus, its rings, and one of it's distant moons. It may be necessary to zoom in on my photo in order to see the moon it should be down and to the right of the planet a good distance in relation to the size of planet, I noticed that looking at Uranus in the photo helped bring the moon out just like stargazing in real-time. 

If anyone can better distinguish what I might have done right or wrong here any help would be appreciated (also forgot to change format save for my images so I am stuck with .bmp and setting it as a download, sorry for any inconvenience.) - - - J47(JAY)

uranusringmoon.bmp

• Like 1

Oh wow that is interesting to view them in IR, I was also believing it to be possibly an artifact coming from somewhere but I tried my focus knob both ways and didnt clear any of the fog which would make sense that it would be coming from the barlow and not my focusing. Do you believe that I captured a moon in this photo that appears about 45 degrees down to the right of the planet? very faint but does stick out more than it's surroundings

Thanks for the replies I do feel there could be something causing an artifact I was mainly I guess hoping it was not lol I shall try to get another photo stacked and processed tomorrow without the barlow and see what the rings may do then thanks again for the feedback guys. J47

5 minutes ago, J47 said:

Oh wow that is interesting to view them in IR, I was also believing it to be possibly an artifact coming from somewhere but I tried my focus knob both ways and didnt clear any of the fog which would make sense that it would be coming from the barlow and not my focusing. Do you believe that I captured a moon in this photo that appears about 45 degrees down to the right of the planet? very faint but does stick out more than it's surroundings

I played around a little with the levels to bring the "moon" out more and it looks like an internal reflection also.

Thanks Cornelius that is very helpful I shall try a few more adjustments next time and thanks everyone for feedback, much appreciated and thanks Philip I was having trouble locating Uranus this morning as my eyepiece is a 25mm so I get a pretty small view of uranus trying to find it is a hassle sometimes but fortunately while tracing around the early morning skies I managed to see within my eyepiece(did not take photos do to my concern with artifacts showing up) but I managed to sweep across and stop on a set of double stars for the first time, which was very interesting to see two stars so close.

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

I'm currently in the middle Harold Suiter's Star Testing book, so naturally I'm suddenly an expert ;)

A fine read, but I must give it another go to understand a bit more of it!