Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

J47

Did I see Uranus Rings and Moon in Nexstar 4se???

Hello stargazers, welcome. I had posted a picture yesterday of Uranus that had appeared to show its rings. I am using a Nexstar 4se, a 2x Barlow, and my Neximage Burst Color and capturing hundreds of photos and stacking them for my results. But still had me and others curious to if I were actually seeing the rings of Uranus or maybe just a glare of some sort.

So I got back out there this morning, might I note I live in FL where the weather tends to stay hot so clear imaging during this time of year can be difficult, but not impossible as this image that I stacked 150 out of 300 images taken may show that statement holds true..............or I could just be mistaken the object in the image, but all in all I am feeling pretty confident that I have a decently clear image(stacked 150 images) of Uranus, its rings, and one of it's distant moons. It may be necessary to zoom in on my photo in order to see the moon it should be down and to the right of the planet a good distance in relation to the size of planet, I noticed that looking at Uranus in the photo helped bring the moon out just like stargazing in real-time. 

If anyone can better distinguish what I might have done right or wrong here any help would be appreciated (also forgot to change format save for my images so I am stuck with .bmp and setting it as a download, sorry for any inconvenience.) - - - J47(JAY)

uranusringmoon.bmp

• Like 1

The ring around the planet certainly look like an artifact, possibly a reflection from the barlow. I'm fairly sure it's not possible to image the rings of Uranus with amateur kit.

Here is a page describing imaging the rings in IR using  1m scope in Chile...

https://britastro.org/node/8591

I can't open the image but would agree. The rings were only discovered in 1977 with some fairly advanced pro kit, so I'm sure that whatever is in your image is an artifact of some sort.

• Like 1

Oh wow that is interesting to view them in IR, I was also believing it to be possibly an artifact coming from somewhere but I tried my focus knob both ways and didnt clear any of the fog which would make sense that it would be coming from the barlow and not my focusing. Do you believe that I captured a moon in this photo that appears about 45 degrees down to the right of the planet? very faint but does stick out more than it's surroundings

Thanks for the replies I do feel there could be something causing an artifact I was mainly I guess hoping it was not lol I shall try to get another photo stacked and processed tomorrow without the barlow and see what the rings may do then thanks again for the feedback guys. J47

5 minutes ago, J47 said:

Oh wow that is interesting to view them in IR, I was also believing it to be possibly an artifact coming from somewhere but I tried my focus knob both ways and didnt clear any of the fog which would make sense that it would be coming from the barlow and not my focusing. Do you believe that I captured a moon in this photo that appears about 45 degrees down to the right of the planet? very faint but does stick out more than it's surroundings

I played around a little with the levels to bring the "moon" out more and it looks like an internal reflection also.

I googled it - it looks like you'd need a 1 metre telescope to be able to detect them:

https://britastro.org/node/8591

But I agree - it does look exactly how you'd imagine they'd look can totally see why you thought you'd got them.

Niall

Even to get Uranus with a 4" SCT, that is an amazing acheivement. Congratulations @J47:icon_salut:

• Like 1

Thanks Cornelius that is very helpful I shall try a few more adjustments next time and thanks everyone for feedback, much appreciated and thanks Philip I was having trouble locating Uranus this morning as my eyepiece is a 25mm so I get a pretty small view of uranus trying to find it is a hassle sometimes but fortunately while tracing around the early morning skies I managed to see within my eyepiece(did not take photos do to my concern with artifacts showing up) but I managed to sweep across and stop on a set of double stars for the first time, which was very interesting to see two stars so close.

22 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

They look like diffraction rings to me...

Just managed to open the file, it foes very much look like a diffraction ring doesn't it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just managed to open the file, it foes very much look like a diffraction ring doesn't it?

I'm currently in the middle Harold Suiter's Star Testing book, so naturally I'm suddenly an expert ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

I'm currently in the middle Harold Suiter's Star Testing book, so naturally I'm suddenly an expert ;)

A fine read, but I must give it another go to understand a bit more of it!

Nice try, but no cigar as they say! ;) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By c4llum83
      Thought people may like to see my recent custom design for my SkyWatcher Heritage 130p... 
      As a big Apollo misson geek, and not being a fan of the stock astronomer names wrap on the 130p, I decided to get creative. 
      I used a great moon wall sticker just £6 from Ikea (https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kinnared-decoration-stickers-moon-00448463/) as well as some matt vinyl stickers from Redbubble, one for each Apollo mission patch. 
      Below is pics of the mod in progress and the end result - would love to hear what you think!

• By CowsonConcrete
      Hi,
      Here's a quick shot of last night's moon.
      I've broken the crayford on my SkyWatcher 130pds so had to hold the focuser tube to get it sharp. Not ideal but I'm pleased with the result. 
      Àny ideas how I can add more colour without affecting the detail?
      Thanks

• By Kluson
      Wow, First time I've seen the Moon through a telescope and what a sight. We had a good look at the Moon last night. It was also a chance to play around with the different eyepieces and what a difference that made. The red dot pointer was spot on after I found the little cardboard trick on you tube. Only using the 6SE in manual mode at the moment. Hopefully the cables for the firmware updates will be here today and the sky will be clear tonight. I fear that tonight will be cloudy, seems to be building up now, even looks like we may have a little rain. Looking at the moon was a little bit emotional. I am so happy we have the telescope.  One question someone may be able to help with, is there a way to make the focusing on the Celestron 6SE a little less coarse.. It's almost like we need some kind of fine focus. Don't get me wrong, the focus is great , it's just a little bit sensitive, It's almost as if it needed something with a larger circumference.
      We were looking at the moon with mouths wide open in awe of the beauty of something ordinarily we take for granted. I think we are hooked into astronomy, although there is so much to learn, at least now we have the time. We are finding that we now have the urge to take pictures, and also record our observing. Do people just use notebooks for observing notes or is there some kind of  correct way of doing things
       Thanks for all the words of encouragement
      D

• By RH323
      I'm fairly new and on one of my daily stargazing sessions I viewed, with the naked eye, a huge passing light going SE, from my perspective it was brighter and bigger than any stars, planets or meteors that I've seen before. It was roughly the size of a baseball. 
      If this was a star -> . 
      this is roughly how big it looked -> O
      It had a trail of similar size, seemingly dusty. It also passed and disappeared between Corona Borealis and one of Hercules' legs. 
      Viewed on May 16th, 22:00- 23:40 

I assumed, based on recent headlines, that it was Comet Swan, but upon further investigation, that was far from true. 
      Comet Swan should not be visible with the naked eye, and definitely not to the degree I saw. Additionally, based on my coordinates* it wouldn't even cross the sky I saw, it would be below the horizon. 
      (*roughly 15 °N, 120 °E, PH)

Considering again the magnitude of the object amd the fact that I viewed it with the naked eye discounts it from being an asteroid or meteor*. 
      (*More possible but still hard to believe with its size, you wouldn't even see something like that during meteor showers)

So I then researched if it could be space debris. I thought that something as big as that should be covered by a news article somewhere. 
      *The only results were of the 18 ton Chinese Rocket but it couldn't be that because:
      A. It passed over Los Angeles and New York then fell into the Atlantic Ocean, with some pieces landing in Africa. Meaning it wouldn't pass over my country.
      B. That happened 5 days before my viewing, on May 11 at 11:33 AM ET (08:33 PDT)

It's still possible but it just seems unlikely, and with how big it was I'd assume that it would attract some media attention but I cant find anything else. 
      Does anyone have any idea what it could have been? I have to know. If it was debris then all I need is confirmation.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/16/chinese-rocket-falls-to-earth-space-debris-problem-worsens.html
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/5/13/21256484/china-rocket-debris-africa-uncontrolled-reentry-long-march-5b

• By Akmcf
      Hi guys! 🙂
      My name is Andrew, I only just stumbled across these forums just now! Couldn’t have come across a better community to help me with some questions I have!

So I’ve Come to the conclusion that I’m going to be buying a Celestron Nexstar 6SE telescope everything about it appeals to me. I currently own a much older manual celestron telescope and am ready for my first proper telescope!
      I do plenty of photography and own a DSLR and am aware that with this telescope that it comes with a software that will record video of what you’re gazing at and stack the images if I’m correct?
      because I’m familiar with normal photography and not so much with Astro photography I was wondering if anyone could help me out. For the stocking software, is that all the process completed within the telescope and no DSLR? Or is that recorded with the DSL are and then the software stacks? What kind of adapters would I need to be getting into AP? By the way I’m looking at mainly photographing the moon and hopefully get some awesome shots of the other planets too! 😄 not so much deep AP, as from my research I’ve gathered that this isn’t the greatest for it... anyways.

Is it better to use a DSLR and an adapter on the eyepiece for imaging? Or the stacking and what would I need for best result stacking images, especially of planets like Saturn and Jupiter?! Are the individual eyepiece attachments you buy for the telescope, cameras in themselves? What is aci?  I’ve got no clue! Haha a lot to learn!

I thought I was on the right track looking by myself for equipment and I came across the 10MP celestron Neximage eyepiece or whatever it is? I’m not entirely sure? And also what is a T ring? Is that a Dslr adapter? Does the stacking software come with the telescope or with additional purchases?!
      Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Obviously I’m very excited to get going and am very keen on getting some equipment! Any answers are much appreciated!
      Have a great day!

Andrew

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.