NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Screw has rounded off and now its stuck!

The screws on my son's tripod were loosening and now I've rounded the head of the screw and its completely stuck now! I've tried using an elastic band to get more grip on the screw, but it still won't come out. I've also tried pliers and I couldn't grasp the screw. Has anyone else got any ideas on how I can get it out?

Thanks,

Harry

Depending on the size of the screw a centre punch and a light hammer. Careful tapping of the centre punch near the edge of the screw can loosen it off enough to then extract normally. I use this method at work sometimes as an engineer to get screws out with damaged heads.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, so it was the slot of a screw that was damaged, not the head? 

Some interesting ideas on the video. 

One of my tips is to first of all very slightly Tighten the screw, this breaks the grip, then loosen, always pressing down hard on the driver to keep it from slipping in the slot. 

Michael 

Last weekend I removed an M3 screw that had sheared off flush with the metal plate it was fitted into.  Far too small for an extractor, so I ended up buying a 2.5mm left-handed drill bit (took a fair while to find someone in the UK who could supply one that didn't appear to be made of cheese at a price that wasn't ridiculous), centre-punching the remaining shank and starting to drill a hole down the centre of the screw.  Before I'd even really made an obvious hole, the drill had bitten in enough and the screw started undoing itself.  Very neat job, I have to admit.

James

• Like 3