Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarmate OS on Raspberry PI 4 4gb

Astro-Geek

Hello all!

I have the beta copy of the Stellarmate o/s for the PI4 and so far it seems to work very nicely!! In fact I've become so enamoured with this system that I have kicked Mikysoft out of my Observatory.!! NO MORE WINBLOWS!! (Wahoo!) 

• Like 4

I had a huge issue with StellarMate OS on the Pi4. It's fine during the initial setup after flashing, but after I close down the Pi the StellarMate will never fully reboot. I can connect to the hotspot, but not sign in or do anything. In the end I installed Ubuntu Mate on the Pi4, then INDILib, KSTARS, PHD2, then a VNC client. I then had the issue that the Pi4 wouldn't boot to a desktop without a monitor, so had to install a dummy display driver. Now all set up, but not tested yet.

I'll take another look at StellarMate with a screen connected to see exactly what's happening. I have seen a few people post about just getting a blank screen after shutting down and rebooting, but others saying it all works fine, so not sure what the root cause is.

36 minutes ago, agthomson said:

I had a huge issue with StellarMate OS on the Pi4. It's fine during the initial setup after flashing, but after I close down the Pi the StellarMate will never fully reboot. I can connect to the hotspot, but not sign in or do anything. In the end I installed Ubuntu Mate on the Pi4, then INDILib, KSTARS, PHD2, then a VNC client. I then had the issue that the Pi4 wouldn't boot to a desktop without a monitor, so had to install a dummy display driver. Now all set up, but not tested yet.

I'll take another look at StellarMate with a screen connected to see exactly what's happening. I have seen a few people post about just getting a blank screen after shutting down and rebooting, but others saying it all works fine, so not sure what the root cause is.

mine works fine no issues like that 

4 hours ago, Chriske said:

Just installed Raspbian-buster on a RPi4 4Gb. (Tested it before with a RPi3-B.)
Works very fast.:thumbsup:
Going to use it do drive three 3D-printers at the same time.

Oh and btw, there's a special firmware for these RPi-4 in case you do install a fan on it.
That fan does a good job and is a huge difference compared to that large cooling-fin..! That little fan does a far better job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

mine works fine no issues like that 

Exactly. I need to work out what the cause is. On the plus side I now have a 64-bit version of Ubuntu Mate running everything I need that I can VNC into via its hotspot. 

• 3 months later...

A question for those of you with RPi-4: What are you using for a field power supply? My battery packs with USB won't go above 2.1A, and RPi-4 needs a minimum of 3A. 12V + buck converter, perhaps (and, if so, can someone recommend a reliable one?)

TIA

32 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

A question for those of you with RPi-4: What are you using for a field power supply? My battery packs with USB won't go above 2.1A, and RPi-4 needs a minimum of 3A. 12V + buck converter, perhaps (and, if so, can someone recommend a reliable one?)

TIA

Why put the same question out on multiple threads - one is enough surely 🙂 or start you own thread 🙂

16 hours ago, stash_old said:

Why put the same question out on multiple threads - one is enough surely 🙂 or start you own thread 🙂

To get multiple options - different people had been posting in the different threads. It worked. 🙂

• Sad 1

On 05/03/2020 at 17:07, BinocularSky said:

TIA

there has been a recent fix for the psu on the RPI4 that wont accept many different supplies. the main board has been changed around the USB C connector so that it accepts any psu via the USB C

i run a supply directly into the gpio connector which also gets around this

• Like 1