SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 5146

Star101

WiKi

IC 5146 (also Caldwell 19, Sh 2-125, and the Cocoon Nebula) is a reflection/emission nebula and Caldwell object in the constellation Cygnus. The NGC description refers to IC 5146 as a cluster of 9.5 mag stars involved in a bright and dark nebula. The cluster is also known as Collinder 470. It shines at magnitude +10.0/+9.3/+7.2. Its celestial coordinates are RA  21h 53.5m, dec +47° 16′. It is located near the naked-eye star Pi Cygni, the open cluster NGC 7209 in Lacerta, and the bright open cluster M39. The cluster is about 4,000 ly away, and the central star that lights it formed about 100,000 years ago, the nebula is about 12 arcmins across, which is equivalent to a span of 15 light years.

When viewing IC 5146, dark nebula Barnard 168 (B168) is an inseparable part of the experience, forming a dark lane that surrounds the cluster and projects westward forming the appearance of a trail behind the Cocoon.

Taken the night of 7/8 August 19.

75 x 120s Lights

50 darks/bias

Master Flat

Processed in Pixinsight.

Atik 4120EX OSC 

C11 Hyperstar

Mesu 200 mount.

OAG Guiding using TS65EQ ZWO OAG and Lodestar X2.

IC5146.jpg

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Must track that one down , don't seem to have IC numbers on my C du C program. Very nice capture you have taken.

Alan

Thank you for your kind words.

Hope this helps if you wish....image.thumb.png.87d363b4388baee3a826c696d0b0615d.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

I guess with it being rather small I have missed it, maybe my scope is a bit too short at 805mm to do any good but I may just have a try.

Thanks all of you.

Alan

This was taken using my C11 with Hyperstar. Focal length 560mm.  :) 

The camera is a one shot colour camera.

I did use a IDAS LP filter. I have, when the neighbours lights are out, bortle 5 skies. Else, Im imaging next to street lights.

Edited by Star101
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Alan - This might help?

CdC_find.jpg

This seems to come out different to my screen in Windows 7. With my amazing powers of observation I have never seen this section before. Similar to back in the 70's when I knew my cousin was a top record producer finding and recording some of the biggest names in music, I had 12 of his albums and never noticed once. That's a great help thanks.

Alan