NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shed painting WOW what a difference!

Star101

I, my 30ish year old nephew and 73 year old dad in law, built my 8' x 10' ror shed a couple of  years ago. I wrote the process and calamities elsewhere on the net. Needless to say, I was more than excited to get everything in there and up and running once power was installed by a qualified electrician. I didn't think too much about the internal look, until recently.

I bought the wood paint, dark oak, a few weeks ago but was only this last Saturday I finally got the time to set to work. Emptied the shed of everything that could not be put on the pier :)

After about 6 hours of arm aching work. It all came together. It is supposed to be dark oak but doesn't look as dark as I expected until I go in the shed at night..OMG its dark lol.

What colour is your obsy inside? 

Shed original colour.JPG

Shed new colour.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

My main observatory internal decor is dark blue for the dome and light cedar varnish for the wood paneled wall.   😀

She Who Must Be Obeyed is insisting on dark blue for the Obs..

May I ask which paint you used?  Is it suitable for wood? And, does it keep the rain out?

Thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Matte black inside an observatory is a must, it increases dark adaptation.

Not when you're a solar imager it doesn't.  :wink2:

Though I do wear a matt black T-shirt to stop reflections off the laptop screen. :thumbsup:

I'm a martyr to reflections. :blush:

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed is insisting on dark blue for the Obs..

May I ask which paint you used?  Is it suitable for wood? And, does it keep the rain out?

Thanks

Not sure about the paint type. The dome is aluminium and was sprayed with an etch primer, the paint is most likely of automotive origin as the member who painted it for us worked in the paint shop of a bus company. It's been on for about 15 years now without any sign of deterioration. The exterior of the dome is left natural.   😀

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

PS your cabling looks 'interesting' 😉

I reconfigure my setup so often, one minute Hyperstar, the next full f/10 2800mm then FR added, two days later its back to Hyperstar,  that the cable lengths need to be longer sometimes than others. I do agree though, I do need to get a cable tidy. ;) 

In the dark, when trying to image, its not advisable to start pulling cables to find the dodgy ones....Just add a new cable and sort the chaff out when its daylight and time is plenty. In this particular rats nest there were some broken/dead cables that I have since removed......Its still a rats nest though!! :) 

6 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Matt Black

unnamed.jpg

I would love Matt Black. Unfortunately preserving the wood was one of the objectives and I could not find black wood stain/paint. Maybe next time I paint, as it is now preserved, so to speak. I will try Matt Black :)

19 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Try this stuff.  My son lives in northern Sweden and he couldn't believe how often we paint our woodwork compared to his. So I tried it - it is AMAZING stuff!

12 year life cycle!! 😮  I think I will order some next year :D  That will see me into retirement and beyond lol.