SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Want to remote view from bedroom

Hope this is in the correct slot; as some know, i have a SkyWatcher 300 PDS on an NEQ6 PRO mount, that said, it is my intentions to place this scope in an obs out side in my garden, BUT!, space is at a premium as with most of us, so, that is what has made me decide to go remote being that the building for said obs won`t have to have me clambering around all night long.

With the above in mind, my quest is for information/advice on what i must acquire to get my viewing up and running; astrophotography  is not a immediate requirement, but, that is an area i would like to look at in the long run, my immediate needs are for information on lists of items that i will need to purchase to do the above, i do have wi-fi so connection to my main PC hub is no problem.

I look forwards to some helpful advice, and i also understand that one size does NOT fit all, in this region, so thanks for up coming help etc etc.

My very best regards and thanks to any and all,        Tom.

I suggest that you find a camera to attach to the scope and run the output to a laptop., and see what you make of the performance and user-friendliness of this arrangement.

When I got my first GoTo scope, remote viewing was at the forefront of my mind, but in practice I have not pursued this and do not see it as a useful or desirable objective.

Large Newtonians on German equatorial mounts are notoriously user-unfriendly. If the size and user-unfriendliness of your scope and mount are the issue, have you considered changing to something easier to use? Like a SCT on an alt-azimuth mount?

I am not able to change the set up because, it is the size i went out to get and the other point is that i really do not think my dear wife would appreciate me changing and also what she most probably would do TO ME!!!!, i hate pain he he he.......

Regards,   Tom..... 

You don't need much to get up and going or anything fancy / expensive. 

1. Power in your obs (battery or live) to power mount and pc.

2. Old laptop or small pc in Obs to connect mount and camera to. 

3. PC in home plus program to connect them. 

4. Free program to control mount like ASCOM / EQ Mod / Stellarium scope. 

5. Free program to control camera like Sharpcap or Firecapture.

6. Optional - Motorized focuser control like JMI pc focus control.

I don't have an Obs but if its cold or mosquitos are bad I do remote.  Pic of small set up I use for viewing taking few snap shots.  Azulle stick pc on left and optional small battery pack on right to run it.  Can also run on 12v power tank that runs mount but with small battery pack can strap all to scope and not worry about cord wrap. Stick pc came with win 10 pro so I use remote desktop connect. Other programs are avail to connect 2 pcs. This stick pc has 2 usb3 ports, a LAN port, HDMI connection and micro sd card port.

For serious imaging you will want something with more usb ports/storage.  Use Kingdel mini pc for times I want to guide and focus remotely, it has 4 usb3 ports and 1 usb2 port. 

notmuch.jpg

Edited by MilwaukeeLion
ports
  • Like 1

I have a small wooden frame over my mount/telescope that can be pulled off. This is only small and just enough room for me to squeeze in if needed. I run plastic pipe to the edge of my garden to a smaller wooden box that houses my computer and router.

Router is set up as a repeater and connected to cat5 lead from the house. Computer has usb to cat5 plugs and this runs off the a nearby shed that houses the monitor, keyboard and mouse and mains switches for the mount and computer. I can then stay in the shed for a bit or move into the house and just vnc into the imaging computer.

I guess it depends on you location and surroundings. In the future I will be doing some landscaping to the garden so may try and build a mini side off roof setup rather than something that looks like a demonic punch and judy hut.

Optional - Motorised focus er control like JMI pc focus control.

Thanks guys for the advice, re above, what and where do i get the motor unit that would facilitate remote focus control; have looked at the site for the item you suggest, but, cannot see any motor or how it would be fixed to said focus control on the scope proper!!???, can you explain a little more and possible to give products or the like.

Many grateful thanks to all,            Tom.

Get a Slywatcher  Auto Focus motor unit and add a Hitec Focus control..You can coonect the motor connecting to the focus knob shaft or get a toothed drive pulley and drive belt and do it that way if you wish.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

Edited by johninderby

I have a focus motors on the 130 and 150 pds but not on the quattro. To be honest I have been using the quattro for a while now and do miss it. I have looked and do not think the skywatcher focus motor will fit it. I might ask in the forum.

The Skywatcher unit should fit the PDS focuser with no problems using one of the supplied brackets. Just make sure ypu can remove the focuser knob first.

Or you could make your own version of the TS unit.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5218_TS-Optics-Focus-Motor-with-Control-for-UNC-Focuser.html

687924ED-CC38-40C1-903E-E9AC59095E35.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Most astro sites sell JMI stuff.

Pick out a JMI moto-focus here http://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_motofocus.htm Will come with hand controller to focus if standing near telescope.

Can see the JMI PCFC here http://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_motor_controls.htm#PC_Focus_Control You unplug hand controller and plug in PCFC to moto-focus and pc.

Below is a pic of what the pc control looks like on your pc screen.  Works perfectly for remote wifi focusing.

Also below are couple examples how they attach.  Different for types of scopes.   For crayford focuser on my refractor it just slips over fine focus adjustment and mounts to existing bolts underneath. For sct it replaces focus knob.

Screenshot (205) - Copy.jpg

IMG_6783 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6784 - Copy.jpg

Edited by MilwaukeeLion
picks of attachment

Hi guys,

This is great!!, i am so grateful for all of this advice and help, I had a look see on the Rother V web site, seeing that it is the people i purchased my equipment from, and, yes, they do indeed offer the above items discussed, and, yes, it is recommended for all SkyWatcher Explorer scopes including the 300PDS that I have; the Hitecastro unit is fitted with a cigarette type power plug as i have noted so called, would it be easy to remove said plug, add an ordinary that would facilitate a power block reducer as are easy to purchase, just a thought??

Regards to all,           Tom.

The latest version of the Hitec Astro unit as stocked by FLO has a plug in power cable not the hard wired version. Also has a sturdier case. Check with RVO if the version they are selling is the old one or the new one.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

The power cable does have a cig lighter end but it’s a standard 5.5mm / 2.1 centre positive plug so a cheap AC adapter can be had for 5 to 10 pounds from Amazon etc.

EDF08A74-3A24-4867-95B6-976069922943.jpeg

46A438F9-F89B-4AE8-9097-7E6E9F1494E3.jpeg

738CAA4E-25AE-4F29-835E-B36E65E80857.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

You don’t say what cameras you are using (unless I’ve missed it) but if you happen to be a ZWO user and depending on your interest you might like to consider ASIAIR.  Remote focus and also PA are now included in the firmware.

Edited by Grierson

Hi Guys,

Grierson, i have not yet decided on which camera, and, Johninderby, yes mate, the RVO is the older of the models so, FLO and seeing they also stock the SkyWatcher focus motor, i will go to this outlet when i purchase the required items.

Thanks for all the help and best regards to all,                     Tom.

15 minutes ago, mckinnell said:

Hi Guys,

Grierson, i have not yet decided on which camera, and, Johninderby, yes mate, the RVO is the older of the models so, FLO and seeing they also stock the SkyWatcher focus motor, i will go to this outlet when i purchase the required items.

Thanks for all the help and best regards to all,                     Tom.

The Skywatcher motor is very adaptable and fairly cheap. I just finished adapting it to two scopes..

DF7808FA-EF3A-4CFD-BB25-41C6E41EC8F5.jpeg

519C19E9-402E-4D55-AED2-A755F3E7A904.jpeg

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

The Skywatcher motor is very adaptable and fairly cheap. I just finished adapting it to two scopes.

I had never thought of doing that. Where did you get the belts and cogs from?

Amazon and eBay.

Just look for GT2 drive pulleys and belts. The motor has a 6mm shaft which I couldn’t find so bought 5mm bore pulley and drilled out to 6mm.

This online calculator was invaluable for working out what length drive belt to buy.

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Timing-Belt-Finder--Calculator-24-a

Edited by johninderby

Johnindeby,

I see the camera, a ZWO?, it is that type and make i am leaning towards, how do you find yours?, pro&cons with said model; my menu of things needed is all most complete, its then to sorting out the ground.

My very best regards and thanks to all,          Tom.

Yes it’s a ZWO ASI290 MM mono camera. Only arrived a few days ago so not used it yet. Replaced a ZWO ASI 120 MM camera . Actualy bought an Altaor GPCAM3 290 M the week before but not impressed or maybe it was a defective one but returned to seller. Never had any problems with the ZWO 120 so decided to get the ZWO 290 even though it was more expensive than the Altair. 

Edited by johninderby

Thanks mate, what as a pointer, would be a very good ZWO colour, i would like to go that way, have read up on the pros and cons of colour V mono, but still would like to go colour; if any one else has a preference as to which model is good, feel free!.

Grateful thanks and regards,           Tom. 

What field of view are you aiming for? To mimic the effect of a 25mm visual eyepiece you will need a camera with a chip with a size of the order of 25mm. The ASI 120MC and other planetary cameras have a chip size of 4.8mm or similar, which means that it is 25 times more difficult to get an object in field than with a low-power eyepiece.

Perhaps you should look at using a DSLR instead.  These have large sensors and may cost less than a large chip astro camera.

I got the 290 mono for solar and lunar imaging with a long focal length HA scope and a Skymax180. Another camera may suit your 300 PDS better though.

Good idea to start a new thread asking for camera recomendations for your scope.