Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Seeliger Effect

astroavani

spacer.png

Photo taken in the opposition of Saturn when the Seeliger Effect occurs.
The opposing outbreak (sometimes known as opposition effect, opposition peak or Seeliger effect) is the brightness of a rough surface, or an object with many particles, when illuminated directly behind the observer. The term is most widely used in astronomy, where it generally refers to the sudden perceptible increase in the brightness of a celestial body, such as a planet, moon, or comet, as its viewing angle approaches zero. It is so called because the light reflected by the celestial body seems significantly brighter than predicted by simple Lambertian reflection when in astronomical opposition.
#televue #Saturn
https://www.astrobin.com/full/415051/0/?nc=user

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the extra info Avani, I think I can barely just make out the hexagon in this shot but I may be wrong and just wanting to see it...Very nice shot indeed.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Good stuff Avani.

We are lucky to be in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment with Saturn and Jupiter both in prime positions!

Certainly my friend!
But a few years from now the people from the north will have their turn.

22 hours ago, SIDO said:

Thanks for the extra info Avani, I think I can barely just make out the hexagon in this shot but I may be wrong and just wanting to see it...Very nice shot indeed.

It is possible to see weakly the hexagon my dear friend, and even the eye of the hurricane is visible like a dark point.

• Like 1

Fantastic image... I was out observing Saturn with my 14" dob during the night of opposition and noticed the brighter rings in the FOV.... awesome sight... I did't image because I was exposing on a seyfert galaxy during the previous and that night and didn't want to change the setup.. but fantastic had views etched into my memory.  

• Like 1

On 14/07/2019 at 00:01, MarsG76 said:

Fantastic image... I was out observing Saturn with my 14" dob during the night of opposition and noticed the brighter rings in the FOV.... awesome sight... I did't image because I was exposing on a seyfert galaxy during the previous and that night and didn't want to change the setup.. but fantastic had views etched into my memory.  

Good thing you had opportunity to observe this effect friend MarsG76!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

With Saturn's return to opposition this weekend, it's worth suggesting that people look out for the particularly bright appearance of the rings due to the effects of backscatter.

Also, it's 411 days (to the day) since Galileo first saw the rings through a telescope. Though it took another 49 years before Huygens recognised that they were rings surrounding the planet.