NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ-GTi counterweight

Ags

I have had the AZ-GTi for a few days and I have been very impressed by how stable and accurate it is. I will put it down as one of my more successful astro purchases.

I want to try out the mount in roughly EQ mode to reduce field rotation while doing EEA, but for that I will need a counterweight shaft and weight. Can anyone suggest a suitable product I can buy? I did ask Teleskop Service and they said they had nuthin'.

If you do go for the M12 bolt option, I would suggest buying the "coach" variant with a short thread, and between 200mm - 300mm in length.
This is because the socket eats almost 30mm of the bar and the mount battery compartment blocks another 90mm.

As for counterweight, TS do sell one that fits on the 12mm rod. 
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10277_TS-Optics-Counterweight-1-kg-for-counterweight-rod-with-10-12-mm-diameter.html
I own one and it works OK, but the quality I got from them was below average in my opinion (maybe I am just picky). 

Edited by Panda Alvin
Fixed numbers
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, knobby said:

Hi Agnes, a long M12 bolt works well, or the Star adventurer weight with an M8 to M12 adaptor is what I'm using.

Knobby, where did you get the m8-12 adapter?

Cheers Steve

• 1 year later...

This is what I went for in the end: Explore Scientific dob counterweights with an M12 bolt. I did try a longer piece of threaded rod instead of a bolt but felt it vibrated too much.

IMG_20200613_142004843.thumb.jpg.c041c57ffc6cfbf24a2d0ea4745a6d56.jpg

• Like 1