Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner - Low Budget Telescope with stand for Moongazing

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a telescope specifically for viewing the moon.

This is due to my location (unacceptable high amount of light pollution)

I have a pair of 20x50 Binoculars, which I bought from Amazon a while ago, that rather served as a small lesson (I thought I would be able to hold the binoculars with my hand perfectly stable....sure, 20x50 without a stand or any type of stabilizer....silly me)

Therefore I need a telescope, zooming as far into the moon as possible with a mere 100€/$ (I know it's not a lot but it should be enough to gaze at the moon)

Recommend anything, I'm very open-minded :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by StarFiveSky

My first scope was an 80/900 achromatic refractor which gave pretty decent views of the moon, jupiter and saturn, considering it's price. I think you could get a second hand 80/900 or 90/900 refractor on az3 or eq1 mount for your price range, if you are patient.

• Like 1

Since you're in Germany, I would recommend checking out any astronomy classifieds for deals on good quality used telescopes.  Avoid buying department store quality telescopes even second hand.  They're still an abomination even for cheap.

I'm sorry I can't help you locate such a site since I'm in the US; however, you might try http://www.astrotreff.de/.  It appears to be a German language based astronomy forum with discussions and classifieds.  They might be able to hook you up with a good quality used scope in your area.

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2019 at 14:19, Stu said:

I would tend to avoid eBay, just too much that on there.

Have a look through this for some ideas. Skywatcher 100P would be my suggestion at that budget.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

Thanks for the site! When I was looking into astronomy and telescopes I really liked the skywatch heritage 130p telescope.

After visiting the site and seeing the 130p I immediately recognized it and after a bit of research I'm most likely going with it.

Link:https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

Will keep an eye out for sales, other sites, used one, coupons etc... to reach the aforementioned budget.

Thanks everyone:)!

Edited by StarFiveSky
  • Like 2