Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buying new quality eyepieces to view the planets - is it currently worth it?

7 minutes ago, John said:

IMHO as well and thats where the quandary lies currently, at least for UK based observers. With the planets being so low, the seeing conditions are constantly below par due to the amount of atmosphere and other stuff we have to observe them through. So top tier performing eyepieces (with top tier prices) are less likely to give value for a few years yet.

That's very true John, and I guess is perhaps where a good quality, longer focal length eyepiece with an excellent Barlow or PowerMate may make more sense at for the next few years may make more sense. I agree with Gerry on the Docter, but it is a very pricey option.

• Like 1

I have had my series of top-notch EPs for quite a while (they can take my XW and Delos planetary EPs out of my cold dead hands), so it is not a matter of investing in planetary EPs at this point in time, but I have to say, that although the major planets may be low in the sky, the moon frequently is high enough to benefit from decent seeing and better glass. Having said that, I am quite impressed by the quality of the TS HR Planetary EPs, so those would certainly be a cheap and cheerful option worth considering, although I have not tested them on really fast scopes.

The Delos I had were very high transmission eyepieces and offered excellent contrast with great color rendition. The 10mm Ethos was a favorite, the contrast was so good on that one and was only replaced by the Docter because of the planetary/lunar deal.

Hard to go wrong with a Delos.

• Like 1