Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your horizon

Swoop1

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

View North West from our patio near Baltimore Ireland...

796D76C5-20B4-42A9-B50E-DC8BB254DA70.thumb.jpeg.92e9fba722a42cdc11826f51ee324ca5.jpeg

What a view! I could never tire of a view like that!

Here is my only horizon, looking north at sunrise this morning. Leo, Virgo, Lyra and Andromeda all creep along just above to tree tops. All other directions are blocked by huge trees. 

20190710_073200.jpg.98a384b4232e20b1f3642dbdaae0c266.jpg

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

What a view! I could never tire of a view like that!

Here is my only horizon, looking north at sunrise this morning. Leo, Virgo, Lyra and Andromeda all creep along just above to tree tops. All other directions are blocked by huge trees. 

20190710_073200.jpg.98a384b4232e20b1f3642dbdaae0c266.jpg

Is a Northern horizon the Antipodean equivalant of our Southern horizon- i.e. where all the best stuff is?

2 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Is a Northern horizon the Antipodean equivalant of our Southern horizon- i.e. where all the best stuff is?

I would think the things I see on my north horizon will be pretty much overhead in the UK. Likewise, the stuff on your southern horizon will be overhead here.

• Like 2

At the risk of going a bit off-topic, do some of us (DEFINITELY me included) get a bit obsessed about the horizon? I've just done a quick search and there are no fewer than 2630 UGC galaxies (so 14th mag or brighter) that pass within 10 degrees of my zenith. That is quite a lot of SN-hunting ground. So I guess that, even with horrible horizons and obscured views, given a permanent setup, I could still do something worthwhile (probably more so than what I do currently) and would never actually run out of work to do.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gina said:

Yes indeed.  In spite of good horizons here my current imaging is almost straight up - constellation of Cygnus.

I'd love to explore Cygnus but it hardly gets above the horizon here. :( 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

OTOH you have other interesting regions in he Southern Hemisphere.

Too true Gina, some of the nebulas and globular clusters we can see down here that you can't are truly breathtaking! :) 

• Like 1