NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A nice refractor for lunar/solar ?

I think I can probably claim  to have started the thoughts of taking the FC-100 as carry on baggage when I discovered it was short enough if you remove the dew shield and focuser. Others have added plenty to the discussion on how best to do this, from the best case to use (I use a ThinkTank Airport Accelerator) to Lens Coat covers to protect the open ends of the scope, and more.

If properly packed, it is totally safe to take onboard. I took mine to the US last year with a mount and full set of eypeiecs etc and it was very easy. My scope is well looked after, but is used quite intensively, not treated as an ornament.

Note I said it was probably as easy, not necessarily easier than the 76mm.

Getting 100mm of premium Apo under a dark sky is well worth the effort!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I have the Tak FS102 and the Tak FC76DCU. The latter is my airline travel scope and fits into a relatively compact backpack. It performs very well on Moon and planets, as well as deep sky. But the FS102, with an extra inch of aperture gives better planetary views. If I had to chose one, it would depend on how often I needed the travel capability: if only a few times I'd go with the larger scope. I realise the FS102 is bigger and heavier than the FC100 and that people do take the latter on flights.

IMG_9260.JPG.1d55c325274096ea6da975d0aaf0c478.JPGIMG_5052.JPG.aac304dbf0af10a3eb88d665d49e57c8.JPG

What's the size difference of these two when both assembled ?

Have you got or used the extender on the 76 ?

4 minutes ago, SAW said:

What's the size difference of these two when both assembled ?

Have you got or used the extender on the 76 ?

Well the older FS102 comes in a 115 mm tube, whereas the FC100 (which I don't have) comes in a significantly narrower 95 mm tube, making it much more compact and lighter. So you really need to compare the FC100 with the FC76. Anyway, heres a pic of the FS102, FC76DCU assembled and the FS60:

IMG_9227.JPG.6d4a46e3a02fd58104fe28239a9d0e03.JPG

I have the Tak Extender Q 1.6 x unit which works well with the Tak 76. This attaches at the eye end of the scope; by contrast the 1.7 x unit insets in the main tube. However, I find that short FL eyepieces with high mag (like the Vixen HR's and the TeleVue NZ Zoom) are more convenient to use than the extender if you are switching backwards and forwards between high power and low power views during an observing session.

• Like 1

Just been looking on astronomy tools and am I correct in saying I'll get a closer view when using the FC76 with the extension piece as it will be f/12.5 compared to he FC100 at f/7.5 even though it's less aperture ? BUT will the FC100 give me a better view being it's larger aperture ?

ARGHHH why is it so hard to decide !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAW said:

... BUT will the FC100 give me a better view being it's larger aperture ?

Yes. The FC100 has 34% additional aperture. Thats going to make a difference to the views, no doubt about it IMHO.

But if the larger scope can't be transported or mounted effectively then the additional performance is of no consequence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAW said:

Just been looking on astronomy tools and am I correct in saying I'll get a closer view when using the FC76 with the extension piece as it will be f/12.5 compared to he FC100 at f/7.5 even though it's less aperture ? BUT will the FC100 give me a better view being it's larger aperture ?

ARGHHH why is it so hard to decide !

Don't be misled into thinking that a longer focal ratio on the smaller scope will give you a bigger and better image. You will be able to use higher powers and resolve finer detail with the FC100 (unless seeing is horrendous), so the main issue is portability. It depends how important that is to you, and how often you would be doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crikey, the OP must be dizzy with the number of choices at his disposal.   I know I'm  stunned by all the different breeds of optical units there are these days. When I was a youngster choice was very limited. I often wonder if the Sweetie shops   are making choices more difficult, rather than easy. I know choices are welcome, but there are so many of them.

I recollect years ago,  observing the moon with a home  made folded  Wooden  tubed 6" f12  spherical Newtonian mirror. The secondary had a 13mm minor axis.

The results were outstanding too.the difficult bit was keeping track of the target, the darned thing moved too quickly through the FOV.  😀.

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 5

Anyone got or used the FOA-60 or FOA-60Q how do they compare to the others I've mentioned ? Are they different from each other or like the FS-60Q where you can add the extender.

I have ED80 on a EQ5pro mount

I also use Coronado Solarmax11 on same mount

For solar, you can also get glass or baada visual solar film, to make up cap for the ED scopes

The attached pic taken at recent solar viewing day with my club

Shows my ED80, with solar filter

Scope in background, is also an ED80 on a HEQ5 mount, using glass solar filter

Easy to transport,and I leave the EQ5 mount attached to tripod 

Last saturday was out with couple other club members, doing solar during the day, and deep sky observing, that night, for 150 Cubs, scouts movement, in regional  weekend camp near home

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

• Like 2

Been looking at the WO73 Zenithstar it's half the price of the Takahashi 76 but is this twice as bad ?

Using the WO73 gives me a full disc of the moon with the 178MM and full disc of the sun in white light us with the Quark nice and close up. 

It's going to be rubbish with Planetary because of the aperture but how will it be with lunar/solar for observing and imaging ?

It's a law of diminishing returns with equipment and quality generally so the Tak 76 will be a bit better than the WO73 but the differences will be small. Likewise with something like the Skywatcher ED72 which is half the price of the WO73.

These scopes won't be rubbish at anything really - they will perform as per their apertures dictate both for planetary and DSO's. Popular size for imaging because they can be easily over-mounted which is what you need for imaging.

2 hours ago, John said:

It's a law of diminishing returns with equipment and quality generally so the Tak 76 will be a bit better than the WO73 but the differences will be small. Likewise with something like the Skywatcher ED72 which is half the price of the WO73.

These scopes won't be rubbish at anything really - they will perform as per their apertures dictate both for planetary and DSO's. Popular size for imaging because they can be easily over-mounted which is what you need for imaging.

I've owned the WO61 and SW72ED and the SW is probably one scope I regret selling but I'm not sure it's very suited to lunar/solar which is what I really want the scope for. If it works for DSO imaging as well then it's a bonus but I rather get something more suited to lunar/solar than a bit of everything scope of that makes sense 😁

Edited by SAW

I THINK I've ruled out the FC100 only because I'd need to do a mosaic when lunar imaging where as if I use a 174MM with the FC76 I can get the full disc in, it will fit with the FC100 and 174MM but it's really tight. 

Now with the solar I can't get quite as close if I use the Quark with the FC76 as I can with the FC102 but it's still pretty good.

I think I would prefer the FC76DCU compared to the FC76DS as I can use the extender for lunar observing and even a bit of planetary plus it can be broken down smaller for travelling if needed. It's also lighter which will help with mounting on my Lightrack.

Is the focuser going to be good enough when using a CMOS, weight, travel etc ? I've read it's limited and spacers may be need as well for observing ?

Does this sound like a sensible choice ?

If you are intending using a Quark C for visual and imaging then optimum f/ is 32 bearing in mind the 4.2x of the Barlow. However, when I owned one the primary consideration was the quality of the focuser. Quarks are very unwieldy and thus demanding on a focuser. They do work well with an ASI174 or 290 though. Above 80mm aperture I used an IR block too.

Edited by Owmuchonomy

Using the FC-76 and quark gives me a focal ratio of around f/31.5. 

Do you not think the focuser is suitable on the FC-76DCU with the Quark ?

Edited by SAW

On 07/06/2019 at 21:02, SAW said:

I've owned the WO61 and SW72ED and the SW is probably one scope I regret selling but I'm not sure it's very suited to lunar/solar which is what I really want the scope for. If it works for DSO imaging as well then it's a bonus but I rather get something more suited to lunar/solar than a bit of everything scope of that makes sense 😁

SAW

As you said, you had the SWED72, and got rid of it

Was perfect scope, for what you trying to do, fir solar/lunar viewing

What mount did you have with the ED72

You "Liked" my previous entry with pic of my ED80 with solar filter

John

6 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

SAW

As you said, you had the SWED72, and got rid of it

Was perfect scope, for what you trying to do, fir solar/lunar viewing

What mount did you have with the ED72

You "Liked" my previous entry with pic of my ED80 with solar filter

John

Mostly used it on the HEQ5, I wish it had a rotator for the camera BUT apparently there is one due out soon for it.

38 minutes ago, SAW said:

Mostly used it on the HEQ5, I wish it had a rotator for the camera BUT apparently there is one due out soon for it.

When I got my ED80, I ordered a HEQ5 mount, and retailer sold last one few days before, and I finished up taking the EQ5pro mount

I find does everything I want to do, and still want to venture into AP

Have now also got the SynScan WiFi adapter, and like that as well

I am disappointed in the Coronado Solarmax11 solar scope

Does not have turn knob focuser, and the securing screws are plastic

It is also very hard to align, as has a tiny spotting scope on top 

Apparently the new Solarmax 111 is a big improvement with fine and course focuser 

You ever make it to my part of the world, be nice to catch up

John

3 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

When I got my ED80, I ordered a HEQ5 mount, and retailer sold last one few days before, and I finished up taking the EQ5pro mount

I find does everything I want to do, and still want to venture into AP

Have now also got the SynScan WiFi adapter, and like that as well

I am disappointed in the Coronado Solarmax11 solar scope

Does not have turn knob focuser, and the securing screws are plastic

It is also very hard to align, as has a tiny spotting scope on top 

Apparently the new Solarmax 111 is a big improvement with fine and course focuser 

You ever make it to my part of the world, be nice to catch up

John

I've just come back from the Goldcoast ! I was staying with my partners auntie in Broadbeach, we were out there for 3 weeks. I tried looking for astro clubs and things to do astro related but there was nothing going on that I could find 😞

Just now, SAW said:

I've just come back from the Goldcoast ! I was staying with my partners auntie in Broadbeach, we were out there for 3 weeks. I tried looking for astro clubs and things to do astro related but there was nothing going on that I could find 😞

I live up behind Movieworld, out in the hinterland, towards Tamborine

If you had googled astronomy goldcoast, would had found link to SAS

I am no longer a member, due to personal reasons

Weekend before last, I did camp for 150 cubs, scouting movement, out at camp site at Canungra, which is about 40kms inland from Nerang

Unfortunately got clouded out afternoon, as was planning on doing solar viewing, and cloud came back over that night

Currently have Jupiter rising just after sunset

Overhead, you would had seen Southern Cross, CRUX on some star charts

John

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SAW said:

Oh and I emailed sas before I came out but never got a reply ?

My contact details used to be on the Website field night co-coordinator

Had same respond from couple of the cubs groups, other weekend, no response back

I am also sheltered by hills, from light pollution from Goldcoast, and have relatively clear skies

• Like 1