SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon 4000d or nikon d3500

I'm talking about the software that will control a photography session - being able to set the bulb exposure to any length, for example. 

We don't use the SDK, it's the devs who write the AP control software who do... 

The answer seems to depend on where you are in the world. Ask the same question on the USA's largest forum and the likely answer would be the Nikon 5300 or later model.

The 3000 series, as already answered by someone else on SGL, can in fact be controlled by your PC but the 5000 series is much better. In the USA they appear to like the Sony chips.

To be clear, I don't use the Nikon 5300 attached to a PC as I don't own one. The major problem with buying Nikon isn't the SDK any more because there's more than enough software that works, it's the lack of anecdotal help you'll get.

Dave.

I wouldn't want to advise on either really. Even as a confirmed Nikon user, I wouldn't particularly want to use a D3500.  I think both companies make far better cameras than these.

Dave.

As I was about to buy a canon 4000d, I'll comment on that. Basically it's a 600d in a new package. Their differences are that the 4000d has a slightly newer processor (digic 4+ vs digic 4) and built-in wifi, while having an inferior and non-articulating  display and plastic (!) lens mount. So if you can get it  significantly cheaper than a 600d, then go for it.

6 hours ago, davew said:

The 3000 series, as already answered by someone else on SGL, can in fact be controlled by your PC

I'd love to try this out, but haven't seen the recommendations (bar one that says it can be controlled by a Linux system, but I'm running Windows 10).

Can you point me in the right direction, please? 

Ady

This was the thread - 

I should perhaps make myself clearer on what I mean. I'm sure both the cameras mentioned are just fine. If it was me I'd want at least a D5300 or newer, second hand. I'm also not keen on a plastic bodied non flip screen camera for robust use in the dark and damp :)

Dave.

1 hour ago, Anthony1979 said:

Sorry which would be better... Only asked because a friend is selling both and im currently using a nikon D40

If you plan to use it for non-AP and you have lenses, then your answer is the Nikon - reusing glass nearly always makes the decision for you.

If you're just using it for AP, the Canon is preferable because of the software support. As others have said you can't use the D3500 with any software to control it during capture sessions. If your definition of AP is mostly widefield with in-build camera features and a simple tracker, though, then either will be fine.

You can use Nikon lenses on a canon as you can get a lens mount adaptor if you already own lenses. Me I chose Canon and control it using my Android tablet as I don't have a laptop and I dislike being controlled on what I can do so Canon's open approach won.

3 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You can use Nikon lenses on a canon as you can get a lens mount adaptor if you already own lenses. Me I chose Canon and control it using my Android tablet as I don't have a laptop and I dislike being controlled on what I can do so Canon's open approach won.

Depends on the Canon, and the lenses - it's not a given by any means. You'll definitely lose a lot of the intelligence in electronic lenses, autofocus won't work, and you won't be able to use VR stabilisation.

I do prefer Canon's software approach.