Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which dslr for astro photography?

Hi 

Im looking to buy my first dslr. It will be used for nornal and astro and normal photography. I have around 500 -600 to spend on the camera and will be buying used. This will be used on a star adventurer. I was looking at the 700d and the 800d. But i think there was some problems with the 700d or was it the 750d? If there are any other alternatives i should look at please let me know thanks.

The cameras you mention along with the 650D all have hybrid AF focus in video or liveview mode that uses extra rows of pixels that can under certain circumstances cause banding when the image is stretched. I believe the 600D doesn't have this potential issue or any of the models that use dual pixel AF like the 60/70/80D etc.

I would certainly look at used 60D or similar...

Alan

P.S. I had a 650D and never noticed banding but then I shot very widefield with minimal stretching of the image in post processing..

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

I'm using a somewhat aged 40D now which is modded, I sure you could pick up a 50 or 60D for less than 500 and as a camera it would be much better than many but as an astro camera I have to say I don't know. I also have a 7D Mk 1 & 2 and both make stunning shots though both are un-modded. My friend Mal at Camtech had  a 7D for 350 quid, his stuff is always tip top and he can be trusted.

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

The cameras you mention along with the 650D all have hybrid AF focus in video or liveview mode that uses extra rows of pixels that can under certain circumstances cause banding when the image is stretched. I believe the 600D doesn't have this potential issue or any of the models that use dual pixel AF like the 60/70/80D etc.

Alan

P.S. I had a 650D and never noticed banding but then I shot very widefield with minimal stretching of the image in post processing..

Are you sure? I thought that this issue arrived with the 24mp sensors as opposed to the older 18mp sensors. 

3 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

Hi alan

Thats the thing i was trying to describe couldn't remember the name off the top of my head. Will look at the cameras you suggested thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

I'm using a somewhat aged 40D now which is modded, I sure you could pick up a 50 or 60D for less than 500 and as a camera it would be much better than many but as an astro camera I have to say I don't know. I also have a 7D Mk 1 & 2 and both make stunning shots though both are un-modded. My friend Mal at Camtech had  a 7D for 350 quid, his stuff is always tip top and he can be trusted.

Alan

Thanks alan

Can I suggest a slightly different approach? Buy 2 used cameras- 1 for ap and one for 'normal' imaging- then get the ap one modified.

I did this- using a 100d for normal and a modded 600d for astro, and this is working very well for me. You could do this, including the mod, for the lower end of your budget, although lenses would be additional.

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Are you sure? I thought that this issue arrived with the 24mp sensors as opposed to the older 18mp sensors. 

I am not sure but the extra lines of AF pixels exist in all those models, perhaps the smaller tightly packed pixels in the 24mp versions make the problem much worse...

Alan