NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader ultra narrow band o3 filter

pietervdv

I have the 36mm versions of these filters and am desperate to have a go with them. Unfortunately my efforts have been delayed somewhat by dropping  my scope fully laden with camera, filters etc  😫. Luckily not much damage done although the focuser got damaged on my leg (so did my leg!).  Cue much shamefaced embarrassment at work though ... astro-dark will have gone by the time the moon has so should be interesting trying them in astro-twilight..

James

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Ouch James that sounds painful all ways, hope your leg isn't badly hurt and gets better soon.

A bit surprised that Baader doesn't have the likely most popular size in stock, but will be very interested to see how the [OIII] in particular copes with astro twilight, as that's the one most usually affected.

I'd be interested in a set for my old filter wheel that's full of original Baader filters complete with O111 haloes, according to Baaders gushing preview on their site the new filters are the bees knees and produced to highest spec in a new state of the art facility so probably why they're slow in appearing, let's hope it's because they're insisting on good QC.

Since the Astrodon takeover the new owners have increased prices exponentially so won't be buying any more of those :grin:

Dave

10 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Ouch James that sounds painful all ways, hope your leg isn't badly hurt and gets better soon.

A bit surprised that Baader doesn't have the likely most popular size in stock, but will be very interested to see how the [OIII] in particular copes with astro twilight, as that's the one most usually affected.

Depends really as astro twilight can actually be of lesser effect than the local light pollution in some cases. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Some feedback on the Baader 4,5 nm O3 filter; I like it a lot! It is a very nice match to my Astrodon 5nm h-alpha filter. The stars are very similar in shape and size, which will allow me to make some nice bi-colour images. If I may give one small point of criticism; there are again some halos noticeable (remember the old 8,5nm O3 filter) around very bright stars. It could be something else in my imaging train, not 100% sure yet... But overall I am happy with this purchase. It will be a return for me to colour imaging after shooting b&w for a long time.

Here is the first light; a quick and dirty bicolour on NGC7000. Scope was my 10" newton, exposure was 2 hours in HA and 2 hours in O3. Colours mixed as HA:O3:O3.

Thanks,

Regards,

Pieter

ngc7000_bicolour.jpg

Edited by pietervdv
  • Like 5

Meh...

I emailed Baader last year to see if they would be releasing the ultra-narrowband filters in 36 mm unmounted format. They said that they had no plans to do so and consequently I ended up spending just shy of 2-grand (pounds, not Euros!) on a set of Chroma 3 nm's

Ho-hum.... :( 

On 13/07/2019 at 11:15, pietervdv said:

Hi all,

Some feedback on the Baader 4,5 nm O3 filter; I like it a lot! It is a very nice match to my Astrodon 5nm h-alpha filter. The stars are very similar in shape and size, which will allow me to make some nice bi-colour images. If I may give one small point of criticism; there are again some halos noticeable (remember the old 8,5nm O3 filter) around very bright stars. It could be something else in my imaging train, not 100% sure yet... But overall I am happy with this purchase. It will be a return for me to colour imaging after shooting b&w for a long time.

Here is the first light; a quick and dirty bicolour on NGC7000. Scope was my 10" newton, exposure was 2 hours in HA and 2 hours in O3. Colours mixed as HA:O3:O3.

Thanks,

Regards,

Pieter

ngc7000_bicolour.jpg

Nice to see you in Technicolor again, Pieter! That's a great image with tiny stars.

Olly

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any more reviews/opinions of these new 4.5nm OIII filters? They seem very well priced.

Heres a single (stretched) 15 minute sub with the standard 8.5nm OIII. The halo is bad enough so can imagine what 20 x stacked will look like.

NGC 7000_Light_OIII_900_secs_2019-08-03T00-46-29_003.jpg

Edited by david_taurus83

• 5 months later...