Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iOptron AZ Pro mount

GlenM

On 23/04/2019 at 07:30, Pig said:

Hiya Ade, the length is a tricky one to answer, none of the scopes I have used have been over a metre with all the attachments. There is a point at which a foul condition can occur between the scope with the tripod legs during the auto align as the scope will point straight up. There is a lot of adjustment as the dovetail clamp is quite long and one could simply slide the scope forward until there is no foul condition. ( I am not sure what this limit is) there is a tower available also. I will take a picture of the distance from the pivot point of the mount to the tripod legs so you can see the scale on a tape measure. 

TBH I simply sync to the targets these days and do not bother with the full alignment set up as the sync option is also very accurate. Thus no need to point the scope straight up ?

Thanks for the info @Pig, I figured that I'd probably need a pier extension for the Starwave f/11 with it being about 1,100mm focal length, and your photo has just confirmed that to be the case.  Its also confirmed that fouling may well occur with the ED100 and ED120, both with a 900mm focal length, but I think they'll be ok.

The accuracy is nice to hear about, there is someone at our local astro group who brought his along for me to have a look at and the lack of cables etc is a big draw, so I may have to speak nicely to him and try one of the OTAs on it at one of our observing sessions.

From reading the rest of the thread, I think I'll definitely be ok with the ED100 and the ED120 weight wise but am likely to run into issues with all scopes fouling the legs unless a pier extension is used, which is a tad on the expensive side.

The Starwave 102 f/11 may also present an issue due to the moment arm, so I might have to carry on learning to love the EQ5 Mount for that one.

This has been an interesting thread and thanks to all for the information and discussion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks for the info @Pig, I figured that I'd probably need a pier extension for the Starwave f/11 with it being about 1,100mm focal length, and your photo has just confirmed that to be the case.  Its also confirmed that fouling may well occur with the ED100 and ED120, both with a 900mm focal length, but I think they'll be ok.

The accuracy is nice to hear about, there is someone at our local astro group who brought his along for me to have a look at and the lack of cables etc is a big draw, so I may have to speak nicely to him and try one of the OTAs on it at one of our observing sessions.

From reading the rest of the thread, I think I'll definitely be ok with the ED100 and the ED120 weight wise but am likely to run into issues with all scopes fouling the legs unless a pier extension is used, which is a tad on the expensive side.

The Starwave 102 f/11 may also present an issue due to the moment arm, so I might have to carry on learning to love the EQ5 Mount for that one.

This has been an interesting thread and thanks to all for the information and discussion.

Ade, I’ve been in touch with FLO regarding tripod pier extension, Grant says it is available from ioptron at about £180 and they are going to try and source one for me if I order the mount and tripod. I might not need it for the 900mm ED equinox but I think I’ll go for it anyway and that way be sure of no fouling problems. As you say it might be ok but  I’m happy to go for it as an insurance policy. Currently they are waiting stock delivery of the tripods. 

Steve 

20 minutes ago, Trikeflyer said:

Ade, I’ve been in touch with FLO regarding tripod pier extension, Grant says it is available from ioptron at about £180 and they are going to try and source one for me if I order the mount and tripod. I might not need it for the 900mm ED equinox but I think I’ll go for it anyway and that way be sure of no fouling problems. As you say it might be ok but  I’m happy to go for it as an insurance policy. Currently they are waiting stock delivery of the tripods. 

Steve 

Thanks for the info Steve, I won't be getting one anytime soon but have probably settled on this option like yourself.

I thought I'd seen an adaptor from Primaluce or someone similar that allowed fitting to an EQ5 tripod head, I just need to remember who made the adaptor, or where I saw the link.

I'll be interested in how you get on if you get the mount.

2 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks for the info Steve, I won't be getting one anytime soon but have probably settled on this option like yourself.

I thought I'd seen an adaptor from Primaluce or someone similar that allowed fitting to an EQ5 tripod head, I just need to remember who made the adaptor, or where I saw the link.

I'll be interested in how you get on if you get the mount.

If you find out let me know because I have a skytee 2 on a SW tripod with an extension tube already ?

6 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

If you find out let me know because I have a skytee 2 on a SW tripod with an extension tube already ?

I was thinking about getting a price for a custom made Aluminium one, though I'm wondering whether it would be possible to make one out of wood. 

I can't find the adaptor plate again, though it might have been the ioptron adaptor for a permanent pier that I'm thinking of which I think has threaded holes for the Star nuts. 

Sounds like the EQ6 tripod and pier extension are compatible with the mount based on @fate187 post above. I'm guessing that's because the North pin on the EQ6 is removable which isn't unfortunately the case on the EQ5/HEQ5 tripod and pier extension. 

• Like 1

Guys you would not really need to worry about scope length if you do not run the auto alignment as this is the only time you will be pointing he scope in a vertical position, the “sync” option will also work just as well. In some scenarios the OTA will have to move forward to counteract the weight from the diagonal etc, thus moving it away from the tripod leges.

Edited by Pig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pig said:

Guys you would not really need to worry about scope length if you do not run the auto alignment as this is the only time you will be pointing he scope in a vertical position, the “sync” option will also work just as well. In some scenarios the OTA will have to move forward to counteract the weight from the diagonal etc, thus moving it away from the tripod leges.

How about observing at the zenith Shaun?

2 minutes ago, Pig said:

Guys you would not really need to worry about scope length if you do not run the auto alignment as this is the only time you will be pointing he scope in a vertical position, the “sync” option will also work just as well. 

I seldom observe near the Zenith Shaun, so straight up wouldn't bother me too much but I was just concerned with how much the extra length of the ED120 (approx 960mm) compared to the FC100 (approx 815mm) that you're using might reduce the maximum "safe" viewing altitude by, though I know that in reality you shouldn't leave a mount slewing unattended just in case.

I'm pretty much decided on the mount but tend to massively over analyse things before I take the plunge.

I'm also quite keen to avoid having to purchase another astro tripod if I can (plus it adds £200 the the price of the setup), as I have several astro tripods cluttering up the garage already and another wouldn't be well received by SWMBO.  

Out of interest, does anyone know whether the mounting plate from the Skywatcher Pillar Mount is compatible with the 16" Skywatcher extension tube?

If it is and the EQ6 version can be purchased as a part that might be an option for providing a flat base to mount the AZ Pro on if your happy to level using the tripod legs instead of the star nuts.

Thinking out loud here, someone tell me if its a stupid idea.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2019 at 18:14, Stu said:

How about observing at the zenith Shaun?

Yes, that would be a problem, but you could slide the scope, (the Tak clamshell is great for this because you can slide the tube all the way through) and you may also have  some free movement with the dovetail bar. I am sure for longer scopes an extension is required ?

Edited by Pig
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GlenM said:

Not been so well lately so all I've done is charge it. The weather up here not playing ball either. Looking forward to the shorter days as well.

Glen.

Hope you get better soon and that the weather improves.  I've been happy with mine in general and just wondered how you were getting on.  

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can someone just clarify this for me I have the EQ6 Tripod with a adapter plate for EQ5 with a extension this extension has a removable North pin as in the pictures would this fit the Ioptron az Pro mount or would I need a EQ6 Tripod extension if so I can save a lot of money when I come to buy it and I can use my Meade 127mm F9. 3 on it with extra counter weights on thanks. 

20210507_173901.jpg

20210507_173847.jpg

20210507_173743.jpg

20200710_141935.jpg

Edited by wookie1965

I'll have a look at my EQ5 extension and see whether it will work.

You will need a longer, larger diameter central bolt than the EQ5 one, but I'll give it a go for you in a bit once I can find the various parts in the Man Pit.

Ade

• Like 1

Apologies for the delay in responding but it took me a while to find the spare EQ5 fitting for the extension tube and I didn't want to disturb the semi-permanently mounted GPD2 mount in the garden as PA is as good as I've ever achieved.

Anyway, I can confirm that once the North pin is removed, the circular footprint of the EQ5 adaptor did neatly between the three countersunk holes that the iOptron star levelling knobs fit into on an iOptron tripod. 

These three holes actually have slight ridges surrounding them but the EQ5 adaptor fits between these without fouling them which would introduce a slight tilt.

So you would just need to level the mount by adjusting the length of the tripod legs.

As mentioned before you'll need a larger diameter and longer bolt, the AZPro uses M12 diameter for the central bolt.

IMG_20210509_191028.thumb.jpg.87eb1918b235168b885e51b3641e4d01.jpg

Hope this helps,

Ade

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2021 at 22:03, AdeKing said:

Apologies for the delay in responding but it took me a while to find the spare EQ5 fitting for the extension tube and I didn't want to disturb the semi-permanently mounted GPD2 mount in the garden as PA is as good as I've ever achieved.

Anyway, I can confirm that once the North pin is removed, the circular footprint of the EQ5 adaptor did neatly between the three countersunk holes that the iOptron star levelling knobs fit into on an iOptron tripod. 

These three holes actually have slight ridges surrounding them but the EQ5 adaptor fits between these without fouling them which would introduce a slight tilt.

So you would just need to level the mount by adjusting the length of the tripod legs.

As mentioned before you'll need a larger diameter and longer bolt, the AZPro uses M12 diameter for the central bolt.

IMG_20210509_191028.thumb.jpg.87eb1918b235168b885e51b3641e4d01.jpg

Hope this helps,

Ade

When I bought the adaptor plate the orange one it came with a bolt that has either 12mm with the other end threaded for 10mm or the opposite way around either way I think I can jig something up. 

• 2 years later...
On 26/07/2019 at 14:14, Trikeflyer said:

Hope you get better soon and that the weather improves.  I've been happy with mine in general and just wondered how you were getting on.  

Steve

Sorry for bringing this up so late. But have you used this with 1.75" sw tripod? Not sure if I udnerstood the previous posts. As I am looking for an AZ mount but want to reduce the costs :)

I haven’t used with the Sky-Watcher tripod but I did look at this as a option previously - I got put off because you will need an adapter plate to attach the mount to the tripod as it will not fit directly. That adapter plate might be more than just getting the Ioptron tripod? Not sure if they even exist commercially but an engineering shop could probably make one as a one off? Hope that helps 
Steve 

I never got the AZ Pro mount as I was put off with my EQ6 Tripod with the EQ5 adapter plate may not fit the AZ. 

As I have long Fracs I need the height to clear the tripod I have never got a satisfactory answer if the AZ would fit with this adapter plate. 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-heq5-tripod-adaptor-for-eq6-2-tripods.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt5euBhB9EiwAdkXWOxDihu79uRqzi5VndF0gRdudFRVuq5fOq8pKe-V5fcH0440RooafcRoC4C8QAvD_BwE