Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Here is my sketch of m81 and m82

sketched in good seeing and in my light polluted backyard

5C1E142E-9B60-4CB8-84AC-21A51C97EA71.thumb.jpeg.7845d9125744b067c5958f71be8f34a4.jpeg250C8F48-98A2-4552-81F1-07A8B7BF0B69.thumb.jpeg.b6a8640f7d7834edb03251118218b404.jpeg(Spiral arms fainter than the sketching , could just make them out as a halo outside of the core

• Like 9

Well done Kronos for spotting 2 "dim fuzzies" from a light polluted location.

I have so far failed to bag M81 or M82 from my light polluted backyard with an 8" F/5 Newt.

I am  encouraged by your result, so I'll keep trying.

Thank you lenscap! here is a little guide.

I use this to determine if im close to finding them.

Firstly i find this in my 8x50 finder

image.thumb.jpg.59a7cd825254adcb90dea9fc8a39e3f9.jpg

The star pattern out of the field of view towards the north helps me confirm if i found the right spot

once you have found that, look through your scope.image.thumb.jpg.ce8deeaf486e83dad2ce8bed652629b3.jpgyou should see something like thhis,after that, go west(about a first quarter moon diameter) , as the arrow points you should then,find the 2 galaxies.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Best wishes,clear skies,

Kronos.

Ευχαριστω! Τα δικα σου σκίτσα ακομα καλύτερα!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By procky1845
      Had a great view of Mars last night at ~11.30pm. Best I've seen it so far this year I think. Sketch below.
      I think the darker regions in the S are Mare Cimmerium, Mare Sirenum and Mare Chromium.
      Could also clearly see the South Polar Cap and limb cloud at the following side of the planet.

• By stevewanstall
      Messier 57 is is just coming into a position for a decent look around 11 30 pm. IT is a colourful object and I thought it would give me a good target with which to practice my colour developing in PS/Lightroom. I have read so much about how to produce a LRGB image from the four stacked/calibrated luminance, red, blue and green images,  a lot seems contradicatory and some, when followed, gave me colour yes, but not as we know it. I am sure a fair chunk must be put down to me. Anyway, I now have a work flow which gives me colour, sometimes resembling what other people have obtained. Progess of sorts.
      This images is based on 114s subs at gain 139, offset 21.
      L 39, R 20, G 20, B 19
      Calibrated  and stacked in DSS (flats, dark flats and darks)
      Messier 57 Ring Nebula in Lyra

NASA: M57, or the Ring Nebula, is a planetary nebula, the glowing remains of a sun-like star. The tiny white dot in the centre of the nebula is the star’s hot core, called a white dwarf. M57 is about 2,000 light-years away in the constellation Lyra, and is best observed during August. Discovered by the French astronomer Antoine Darquier de Pellepoix in 1779, the Ring Nebula has an apparent magnitude of 8.8 and can be spotted with moderately sized telescopes.
      Equipment: Celestron 9.25 XLT at F10,  Skywatcher EQ6 Pro GEM, ZWO 1600MM Pro, ZWO EFW with ZWO LRGB filters, QHY5IIC guide camera on Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope, Celestron Focus Motor
      Software: Ascom 6, Eqmod, Cartes du Ciel, AstroPhotography Tool, PHD2

• By kuvik
      Hello!

I'm from Hungary. This is my first post. I am glad to be here.
      Recently I'm trying to sketch some deep-sky objects. I've made this observation yesterday. Cygnus was near to the zenith and the sky was pretty dark.

NGC 7000 is one of my favourite target. I like to observe it with any telescopes, especially with RFTs and with UHC filter.
      Please excuse my language errors.

Gyuri
    • By RJ901
      NGC 1528 at 150x

Spent just under 45 minutes at the eyepiece, so ran up against the issue of field rotation (really for first time in my limited sketching experience) and realized the importance of not only anchoring features to certain areas within the eyepiece, but also (and probably more importantly) using the relative locations between 3 and 4 stars at a time to make as accurate a sketch as possible.
    • By RJ901
      The ongoing deluge continues in my neck of the woods so, instead of enjoying the lack of a moon, I’ve scanned my first sketch, made this past October: Open Cluster IC 4996, in Cygnus. I’ve got a long way to go, especially with getting the scale right, but I definitely enjoy the almost Zen like state of focus that I fall into while spending 30+ minutes on one DSO. It’s also made me spend more time on each object while not sketching; its incredible the details that pop out after 15+ minutes, even in light polluted skies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.