Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time drawing

Dark Adaptation

My first drawing through the eyepiece! (Or, a collection of well placed lines.) I knew it would be hard to draw celestial objects, so of course I went and drew the hardest of them all (in my range, at any rate). The craters and mountain ranges were a little difficult, but the really hard part was the shape of the maria. That's probably obvious to anyone who knows the Moon well--and to those people, don't mind the fact that maria is misshapen 😂.                        

MoonDrawing.thumb.png.265f14ffed08f906f698d8fbd2acdabc.png

• Like 14

It looks pretty good to me, and not an easy target for a first time eyepiece sketch. We're all different in how and what we like to draw, and it will be nice to see how your sketching developes and where it takes you. :thumbsup:

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

It looks pretty good to me, and not an easy target for a first time eyepiece sketch. We're all different in how and what we like to draw, and it will be nice to see how your sketching developes and where it takes you. :thumbsup:

Thanks, @mikeDnight! Hopefully it will take me down a good path.

• Like 1

Kudos for a good first effort.  Sketching isn't something that  anyone can just manage or pickup, as an art form it can be very intimidating to try.  Some likely will not post their efforts for fear of being ridiculed but I say if one doesn't post then one won't get any reaction or feed back however good or bad.

The sketch section is one of my favourite on the forum and I enjoy seeing everyones efforts, there are a varying degrees of work and all are good to see however talented one is.

Edited by Naughty Neal
spelling

On 28/02/2023 at 19:23, Ratlet said:

That's magnificent.

What are the dimensions of the sketch?  What materials did you use?

Thank you! On the dimensions of the sketch, it's somewhere around 8.5 inches across, and 7 inches tall. I did the sketch on plain 8.5x11 printer paper, and used a plain #2 Mechanical pencil. I edited the background from white to black using Gimp. Amazing what you can do with just a pencil, isn't it?

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2023 at 13:24, Naughty Neal said:

Kudos for a good first effort.  Sketching isn't something that  anyone can just manage or pickup, as an art form it can be very intimidating to try.  Some likely will not post their efforts for fear of being ridiculed but I say if one doesn't post then one won't get any reaction or feed back however good or bad.

The sketch section is one of my favourite on the forum and I enjoy seeing everyones efforts, there are a varying degrees of work and all are good to see however talented one is.

I agree, one of my favorite forums is the sketch forum. Some of the drawings here are just amazing!

• Like 1