Much needed recommendations please

Hello  fellow forumers, first things first sorry if you been asked this type of question a thousand times before. 

I owned a Tasco 60mm x 700mm telesope about 25 years ago which was so flimsy if I breathed near it would fall over, however I did manage to see the rings around Saturn with it which totally blew my mind and I still have that image burned into my brain. Truly an amazing sight and I am desperate to get to recreate this experience with less fuss and stress as it was back then.

I now have a budget of around £350 - £400 for a new rig ideally with a goto mount (getting lazy in my old age ?). Mainly going to be for Luna and planetary viewing with some DSO if possible, also want to be able to transport it  Any recommendations would be appreciated as my head hurts with all the trawling through websites and reviews I have been doing.

Thank you 

Pete the newb 

Hi Pete, and a very warm welcome from me.  If I were choosing on that budget, this would be my choice (you pay quite a bit for GOTO), but this one is a really respectable size and will get you all those things in the night sky that you have asked for: 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-eq3-2-eq3-pro-goto.html

Good luck with your choices!

Hi Pete, I too owned a 60mm.Tasco refractor many years  ago, and enjoyed the views it offered, but aperture fever followed soon after I realised the little frac. No longer provided enough buzz for me.

I'm not sure you will manage to buy a go-to for the price you hope for, unless you can get a used bargain.  They do crop up from time to time. Look in Astro Classifieds, we have one here on SGL, as long as your status qualifies you to buy.

An HEQ5 would probably suit your needs.

Best of luck.

Ron.

For Luna and planetary you need a scope with long focal length, i.e. a longer focal length achromatic refractor or a Maksutov, or a Newtonian equipped with suitable eyepieces and/or Barlow lens.

A general purpose scope IMHO really ought to have GoTo, but for bright planets you can manage without.   Asides from the Moon, the planets and a small telescope may not keep you occupied for all that long, so think general purpose.  You can see some DSO's from an urban site even with a 127mm,

With your budget you'll probably struggle to find a 100mm ED refractor and a goto mount. You may be better buying a second hand SW 100ED first and improving on the mount at a later date. A refractor will give you good lunar & planetary views and nice wide star fields when sweeping for DSO's. Another good lunar and planetary scope is the SW 127 Maksutov. This will be cheaper than the refractor but will still give great performance, however it won't give the wide field views of the refractor. A 150mm F8 Newtonian is a great all round scope that will probably cover all bases. All the above are serious scopes that could offer a lifetime of enjoyment.  Personally I'd first make sure my telescope was top class, relative to budget, and then begin worrying about mount types. 

I agree with above realisation of a likely candidate but with a little twist. Extend your budget slightly to 460 or so and get 127 mak with AZ GTi wifi mount. You will not be dissapointed. Later on get a set of decent eyepieces or even a zoom and you'll be set.

1 hour ago, Pete the newb said:

Maybe this: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-skymax-127-azgti-telescope.html#tab-1

Although the only difference between the 2 is the Wi-Fi or is the az gti a better mount. Sorry for dumb questions but I don't want to "waste" money on making a wrong decision.

That's up to you. Unless somebody has sky-tested both and can report.  With the Wi-Fi the manufacturers are shaving the cost of providing a handset and there is more to go wrong, but the concept seems very popular.  If you find you've backed the wrong horse I believe you can add a handset to the Wi-Fi model.

9 hours ago, Pete the newb said:

Maybe this: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-skymax-127-azgti-telescope.html#tab-1

Although the only difference between the 2 is the Wi-Fi or is the az gti a better mount. Sorry for dumb questions but I don't want to "waste" money on making a wrong decision.

The difference is that the AZ GTi wifi has encoders as well so you can move the mount manually and alignment should still be spot on or very close. I think the other model doesn't even allow the mount to be moved freely. All in all AZ GTi is newer and in my opinion better. It has quite the following as well. I am certainly a fan and have the exact same system as the one you linked.

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:33, Cosmic Geoff said:

A general purpose scope IMHO really ought to have GoTo, but for bright planets you can manage without.   

You think? I don't like goto at all. Started off with a celestron skyprodigy, used to whizz around for 20 mins before I could start and then got bored. AZGti was better, but still lots of setup and whizzing around. I like the context of finding stuff myself and star hopping. Although I've still never found M51 or M103! Everyone is different I guess.

As has been just said, If you are using mainly for Luna and planets, goto is not a must.  OK, Neptune and Uranus might be a challenge without goto but the planets you will see detail on are doable without much trouble.  From personal experience, I’d say spend on the scope optics for these targets and put goto on the future acquisitions list.  I am fortunate to have a Mak albeit old etx 125 and a frac - equinox 120. For planets and the moon, I’d take to equinox every time and the other thing worth considering is a binoviewer for the best views of these objects.  The frac (depending on the focal length of course also gives a wider field and so You will also be able to find some good deep sky with this type of scope.

These are just my opinions - others my differ.

steve 

39 minutes ago, Pete the newb said:

A classic setup that often used to be bought by beginners and then rarely used.  Be warned, this combination is not at all user friendly.  The eyepiece can get into all sorts of awkward positions if used for general observation.  Perhaps less awful if used for planets which are always in a restricted part of the sky.  The mount is a good one and can be upgraded to GoTo (at a cost of £300) and/or used with any smaller scope.

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

A classic setup that often used to be bought by beginners and then rarely used.  Be warned, this combination is not at all user friendly.  The eyepiece can get into all sorts of awkward positions if used for general observation.  Perhaps less awful if used for planets which are always in a restricted part of the sky.  The mount is a good one and can be upgraded to GoTo (at a cost of £300) and/or used with any smaller scope.

I'd second that - The Mak 127 on the AZGTi is a solid choice IMHO. Has both Goto (and non-goto woo!!) depending on the mood and combines a great aperture with an incredibly compact size. 

A 200p on an EQ mount is an absolute monster! I would avoid at all costs unless you were really really sure what you were getting in to!

On 07/04/2019 at 01:16, Pete the newb said:

Hello  fellow forumers, first things first sorry if you been asked this type of question a thousand times before. 

I owned a Tasco 60mm x 700mm telesope about 25 years ago which was so flimsy if I breathed near it would fall over, however I did manage to see the rings around Saturn with it which totally blew my mind and I still have that image burned into my brain. Truly an amazing sight and I am desperate to get to recreate this experience with less fuss and stress as it was back then.

I now have a budget of around £350 - £400 for a new rig ideally with a goto mount (getting lazy in my old age ?). Mainly going to be for Luna and planetary viewing with some DSO if possible, also want to be able to transport it  Any recommendations would be appreciated as my head hurts with all the trawling through websites and reviews I have been doing.

Thank you 

Pete the newb 

Pete

Welcome from Land Down Under

There is always Option 2

Fly south for the summer

Next door neighbours currently have her parents out from Essex, England

John

Sorry everyone

Posted in wrong chat

Archived