Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi guys

All my equipment seems to be working but with so many cloudy skies unable to get images. And still cloudy for the next week or so it looks like.?

Was wondering if someone could post a  unprocessed file that I could have a go at processing ( simple one nothing to taxing) .and tips on how and where to start with would be appreciated.

Si

9 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi guys

All my equipment seems to be working but with so many cloudy skies unable to get images. And still cloudy for the next week or so it looks like.?

Was wondering if someone could post a  unprocessed file that I could have a go at processing ( simple one nothing to taxing) .and tips on how and where to start with would be appreciated.

Si

The main thing I would use the time for is making a check list for things you need to do to get up and running. When I first started out I wasted lots of time by forgetting something or doing something out of sequence. I would also have a clear plan as to what target I was going to image, what filters I intend to use and what camera exposure and settings. 

I have probably said this before but I would go for a quick win for your first serious imaging run, so something like M3 or M13, where you know you will get something from these bright targets. It makes for a good confidence booster where as a harder target may generate a disappointing result. 

I am currently imaging M13 in 10 second Luminance and 20second RGB exposures and it is coming out very nicely. You will need at least 100 exposures per channel if you go with this target. 

Am happy to give you a little M13 data if you like but only got 70 subs so far before the clouds came in. 

Adam 

25 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The main thing I would use the time for is making a check list for things you need to do to get up and running. When I first started out I wasted lots of time by forgetting something or doing something out of sequence. I would also have a clear plan as to what target I was going to image, what filters I intend to use and what camera exposure and settings. 

I have probably said this before but I would go for a quick win for your first serious imaging run, so something like M3 or M13, where you know you will get something from these bright targets. It makes for a good confidence booster where as a harder target may generate a disappointing result. 

I am currently imaging M13 in 10 second Luminance and 20second RGB exposures and it is coming out very nicely. You will need at least 100 exposures per channel if you go with this target. 

Am happy to give you a little M13 data if you like but only got 70 subs so far before the clouds came in. 

Adam 

I would like add to Adam's informative post. Whenever you get chance practice setting up and stripping down your equipment, so you get familiar with it and also to help you write your check list. You have to remember you could be setting up in the dark and certainly stripping it all down in the dark.

Steve

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

I would like add to Adam's informative post. Whenever you get chance practice setting up and stripping down your equipment, so you get familiar with it and also to help you write your check list. You have to remember you could be setting up in the dark and certainly stripping it all down in the dark.

Steve

Hi 1664

Setting up and down is not a prob I'm already  setting up and down nearly every day takes about 20 mins including comp and a cuppa strip down takes a  little longer as wipe down and fold cables .

Give this one a try, it's a DSLR Horsehead which I took some years ago, but often use it for processing demonstrations.  This is stacked and calibrated but unprocessed.  

If you want to practice how to process it in Photoshop, see my video tutorial which shows the basics of levels and curves.

Carole 

Horsehead 29.11.11 20 x mons 800 ISO ED120 APT dither.tif

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

Adam 

Hi Adam looking at charts and where Ursa Major sirs in my sky I think M13 is going to be low in the sky and behind some trees in my park but M3 looks promising ?? just need a clear night to find out .

10 hours ago, carastro said:

Give this one a try, it's a DSLR Horsehead which I took some years ago, but often use it for processing demonstrations.  This is stacked and calibrated but unprocessed.  

If you want to practice how to process it in Photoshop, see my video tutorial which shows the basics of levels and curves.

Carole 

Horsehead 29.11.11 20 x mons 800 ISO ED120 APT dither.tif 70.13 MB · 1 download

hi Carole

well my first attempt with your files but done through gimp , super easy to loose image but I ended up with .

thanks Si

Horsehead image gimp 4.4.19.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

hi Carole

well my first attempt with your files but done through gimp , super easy to loose image but I ended up with .

thanks Si

Horsehead image gimp 4.4.19.jpeg

I would say that you are making the classic mistake of clipping the black point because you are expecting space to be black. Infact there is no place in this target as framed that does not contain gas and dust and as such you have clipped out the fainter detail.  I did exactly the same thing on my first attempt :)

I only tried GIMP once and could not get on with it, I was on holiday doing some camera lens imaging and didn't have photoshop on my mini laptop, so I downloaded GIMP. 

So can't comment on the processing.

would say that you are making the classic mistake of clipping the black point because you are expecting space to be black. Infact there is no place in this target as framed that does not contain gas and dust and as such you have clipped out the fainter detail.  I did exactly the same thing on my first attempt :)

Yes just checked the histogram and all 3 channels are clipped. 

Carole 

Archived