Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hello guys! Its  me kronos, and i have been wondering about getting a binoviewer sometime in the near future!

I do have some questions tho, (Binoviewer Budget Up to 200Euros *shipping and vat included)

1)Which One??( Please recommend sites from the EU only,Brexit is happening in a few days and i live in the EU so rip FLO for me)

2)Can i use my barlow lens on it(the lens part) i have a BST Barlow Or do i need to buy another one

3)Can i use 1.25" filters ? and if so, can i stack them with the barlow lens?

1. TS Binoviewer Lots of the cheaper binoviewers are very similar internally but this one is supposed to have the best eyepiece clamps. If you buy a different one make sure you go for one with a self centring twist lock clamp not one with three grub screws which can push the eyepieces out of collimation.

2. So long as the binoviewer has a standard filter thread on the nosepiece and a barlow cell has the same thread then yes. This is the normal arrangement on most binoviewers and barlows. You may find that your particular barlow does not allow the binoviewer to reach focus in which case you will have to buy and try another barlow. I bought one that looks like the FLO Astro Essentials barlow on eBay direct from China very cheaply and it gives about 3x magnification in my BV with a touch of outfocus needed.

3. If the barlow lens you are using has a filter thread on the bottom then yes you can use filters. I wouldn't be messing around with trying to fit a filter between the binoviewer and the barlow. With my BV barlows one has a filter thread and one doesn't (the cheap one from China), but I have a 2"-1.25" adaptor that is threaded for 2" filters so I just use 2" filters. I only use binoviewers on solar system objects and the only filter I use for this is a neodymium filter.

Okay! Thank you! My barlow has a

• 2) Nosepiece threaded to accept 1.25” filters  as flo states  So i should be able to put them together ,right?
  • So anyway, im buying the Ts One will i be able to use my barlow and filter on it?

8 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

Okay! Thank you! My barlow has a

• 2) Nosepiece threaded to accept 1.25” filters  as flo states  So i should be able to put them together ,right?
  • So anyway, im buying the Ts One will i be able to use my barlow and filter on it?

That means that the barlow has a filter thread on the bottom of it. The thread that connects the barlow cell to the body may be the same thread of different, you will have to unscrew it to find out. In fact, looking at a picture of the barlow, I don't know if it will even unscrew. It looks like it might be a single piece.

I have the T-S binoviewers and both TS GPC correctors. 
I do not recommend the 1.6X TS GPC because its non-standard diameter is very hard to clamp in some eyepiece fittings.
Nor does it fully compensate for the glass path length of the binoviewers.
The 2.6x GPC produces very high magnifications so I have never used it even with 40mm eyepieces.

It is a shame that the TS does not have a filter thread in the binoviewer body for direct attachment of Barlow nose pieces.
That would allow lower powers to be used. All correctors or Barlow nose pieces must be screwed into the binoviewer nosepiece.
Which causes higher amplification becase the greater distance from the eyepieces.

I recently bought the William Optics 2x Barlow nosepiece [with standard 1.25x filter thread] and much prefer it to the TS GPCs.
Others have tried different 2x Barlow nose pieces and have recommended them.

The binoviewers in my signature accept the active x2 barlow element unscrewed from a Skywatcher x2 Barlow.  So the same probably applies to other binoviewers that look like mine (i.e. most of the cheaper ones - all clones of each other).  The Barlows that came with the bino kit worked but were not very good.

There have been several threads on binoviewers here in the past. I recommend searching for them. 

Be aware that with Newtonians etc you will have trouble getting focus without a Barlow (etc) as you are inserting about 100mm extension into the light path and a Newtonian focuser will only give you about 20mm to play with..

Posted (edited)

Not mentioned is the choice of eyepieces for binoviewer usage.  I've found that deep undercuts lead to tipped eyepiece when you tighten down the collet to secure them.  If this happens, you can either fill the undercut with pinstriping tape or simply hold the eyepiece firmly down while clamping.

Smaller diameter eyepieces are advantageous because it's easier to fit your nose between them.  My favorites when using a 2x barlow nosepiece (from a Meade 140 2x yielding 3x) to reach focus are the 23mm Vite/Svbony 62 degree aspheric eyepieces available for $10 on ebay from China.  They are more than sharp enough in the central 75% of the field and are nice and small and light (1.5 oz. each) with 17mm of usable eye relief with the rubber eye cup removed and a very shallow undercut.

Remember, the binoviewer is heavy all by itself (19 oz.), so putting two heavy eyepieces in it makes balancing it that much tougher.  Long focal length Plossls weigh around 4 to 5 ounces each.

Also keep in mind that the low cost binoviewers have a 22mm clear aperture, limiting the maximum field stop usable on eyepieces.  As a result, 32mm Plossls tend to vignette at the edges in them while 25mm/26mm Plossls do not.

I've found that eyepieces seem about 5 to 10 degrees wider in a binoviewer than in monovision.  Thus, 60 degree eyepieces seem more like 65 to 70 degree eyepieces.  I'm guessing it's something to do with your brain integrating the two images into one larger virtual image.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jeff-Colorado
      I've read reports over the years that bino-viewers enhance the experience of solar system observing, so I finally decided to buy one. I didn't want to spend too much money, so I got the Celestron one for $175 on Amazon and since I already had one Celestron 8-24 EP, I bought a second one. I have an 8 SE scope.
      The seeing was below average tonight, but it wasn't cloudy so I pointed my scope at Jupiter, not expecting much. Wow--the detail in the cloud belts was amazing with both eyes. I switched back and forth between bino-viewing and mono and I'm a believer now in bino-viewing (at least for solar system and brighter deep sky). It looks a bit 3D too (as others have said). It is absolutely worth the money (to me). 
      I look forward to viewing Mars, the Moon, and globular clusters later this week when I go camping.
    • By Hitman77
      SOLD! Admins - feel free to remove........Mint condition Williams Optics binoviwers with WO 20mm ep's and a pair of 25mm ep's. Comes as bought with WO barlow. 
      Retails new for £284 so grab yourself a bargain and have them for £190 plus packaging. Get in touch if you fancy taking advantage of the rest of the season.
      Andy

• By JonH
      Hi All, 
      I have for sale the following:
      William Optics Binoviewer - £135. This is boxed and in excellent condition. SOLD.
      Telrad Finder - £22. This is boxed and in excellent condition although being used, it will need new sticky pads on the bottom. SOLD
      Baader Sky Surfer III - £15. This is also boxed and in excellent condition. SOLD.
      All items can be cash on collection or posted if the buyer pays postage.
      Also a heads up for future sales posts: most of the major items for a full PST mod, including PST, D-ERF filter, Coronado BF10, Vixen A80M, filter holder and finder. Also a MN190 + NEQ6. Pictures and prices to follow.
      Cheers,
      Jon

• By Cosmic Geoff
      A review of a budget Binoviewer.
      As a preamble, binoviewers split the image so that it can be viewed by both eyes. These were originally invented for microscopes, where they are usually described as 'binocular viewers'  or the like, and seem to be in common use. If you are good in the workshop it is possible to convert a microscope binocular viewer for astronomical use - the used microscope viewers tend to be cheaper.  Why use a binoviewer? Essentially because two eyes are better than one. If you want to see what a binoviewer might do for you without investing a three-figure sum, try looking at this screen (or your HDTV) using just one eye, then the other one, then both together. Which is better?   So why are they not universally used? (1) cost and complication. (2) Light loss. (3) Adds about 10cm to optical path length.
      BST Starguider appears to be a trading mark of "Sky's The Limit" who supplied this item at a cost of £120.  They say that it is identical to the Arcturus binoviewer sold in the USA.  The device and packaging however are not marked with any name or identifying marks. In general appearance it looks like other budget binoviewers (a lot of the budget binoviewer brands come from the same factory.) It comes with two 32mm Plossl eyepieces, a x1.8 Barlow and a x3 Barlow, which is more accessories than most of these outfits offer.
      The unit appears fairly well made and is packaged with sealing bags, and various plastic caps. The eye-spacing is controlled by a hingeing arrangement (like conventional binoculars) The eyepieces are gripped by compression rings and at least one can be individually focused. The eyepieces are claimed to have a FOV of 48 degrees with 22mm eye relief. They are unmarked and look budget, and I suspect that given the clear aperture of the binoviewer itself is more like 25mm, some vignetting must occur.
      I tried the binoviewer first in daylight, using my 127mm Mak on a AZ-4 mount. In summary, it does work, and gives a distinctly 3-D view of satellite dishes and the like. The aluminium nosepiece can be unscrewed and replaced by one of the Barlows.  Getting focus in a Mak cassegrain telescope was no trouble at all, but the magnification seems higher than expected. Hopefully the Barlow lenses will allow focus to be attained in other designs of telescope.
      At night, on Mars and Venus, I could not get a clean image with my right eye without the Barlow lenses, but with x1.8 I could get a clean image with both eyes. The problem seemed to be with my eye, as I re-tried after rotating the binoviewer through 180 degrees. I compared the results with a regular 15mm Plossl and confirmed that the binoviewer results were acceptable considering the observing condtions.
      On the Moon there was a striking 3-D effect, and picking out fine detail seemed less of a strain when using both eyes.  Castor (double) was well split with the x1.8
      Last night I tried it on Jupiter with the x1.8. (magnification x100 - x120?) The seeing was awful, but I could make out two cloudbelts which seemed to have uneven edges. I have seen (glimpsed) more detail with regular eyepieces in previous seasons, but using both eyes seems less of a strain.
      I am still waiting for a 20mm Plossl eyepiece  to make up a 20mm pair.
      I bought a second 20mm Revelation Astro Plossl and was able to try them on 14th March. I found that with these I had difficulty in merging the images. This is not a fault with the binoviewer; the 32mm eyepieces still work fine. One of the Revelations has a safety groove on the barrel while the other has not. It dawned on me that the 32mm Plossls supplied are specially designed to minimise the path length, as the entire barrel apart from the eyecup goes inside the eyepiece holder. Not so with the typical astro eyepiece! With some fiddling around I was able to get the images to merge, and found that the 20mm eyepieces work quite well on Jupiter. Some extra winding of the Mak focus knob is needed to get them in focus (it is easier to do this on a bright star or planet).  On the Moon, the magnification seemed higher than nominal. With the x1.8 Barlow there was marked off-axis chromatic aberration, worse than with the 32mm eyepieces.
      In summary, binoviewing does work, and if you want to try it out with an entry-level device, this model, at half the price of some of the other popular binoviewers, seems worth buying.

• By JonF
      Revelation binoviewer for sale, complete with two pairs of eyepieces. In very good condition, complete with original aluminium box, a pair of FMC 12mm wide angle eyepieces and a pair of FMC 20mm wide angle eyepieces. New from Telescope House the binoviewer alone is £125. For both sets of eyepieces plus the viewer the price is a mere £120, plus postage. Postage will be £8. Can also be collected from Victoria area of London.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.