Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first telescope

Hi,

I am a completely newbie and have a question about my first potential telescope if that is ok here.

As said completely newbie, but i want something that i won't want to replace after a short while.

Preferably motorized and capable of connecting a camera.

I have been looking at the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT MAK and the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130AZ-Gti.

Which one of those would you reccomend?

Or would you go for something else?

Thanx.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you might want to replace either of them fairly soon as neither are particularly suitable for imaging. The 127 Mak will give you good views of the Moon and also the planets when they are better positioned. The 130 reflector will be better for the lower power wider field objects. For the apparent budget you could get a 8" Dobsonian which would be light years better on both types of objects. Leave imaging until you can invest in the level of equipment necessary for satisfying results and after you have had a good time exploring the visual side of the subject.  Welcome to SGL.   ?

12 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I think you might want to replace either of them fairly soon as neither are particularly suitable for imaging. The 127 Mak will give you good views of the Moon and also the planets when they are better positioned. The 130 reflector will be better for the lower power wider field objects. For the apparent budget you could get a 8" Dobsonian which would be light years better on both types of objects. Leave imaging until you can invest in the level of equipment necessary for satisfying results and after you have had a good time exploring the visual side of the subject.  Welcome to SGL.   ?

Thank you Peter :)
Taking pictures is not the most important part, exploring and watching is.

I am also dependent that it is availible in Norway.

Peter's advice is sound...get some visual experience first before hitting the steep learning curve that is astrophotography.

If you insist on jumping in with astrophotography at the deep end, any of the the 80mm aperture apochromatic refractors on the market teamed up with a HEQ5 mount is a very popular tried-and-tested route into the subject. Possibly the most popular scope is the Skywatcher ED80 which has become virtually an institution with good reason.

For AP the mount is at least as important as the scope....don't skimp here because it's unglamorous metal. 

Canon DSLR cameras have the best support for astronomical use. 

Universal advice is to read one of the excellent books available on AP before diving in. "Making every Photon Count" is a favourite.

But...you need to budget for: telescope, mount, field flattener, camera, guidescope, guide camera, laptop, software.........and time to learn how to use it all. You may have some of the kit already but most people find there is little change out of £1000 by the time they have a setup that actually delivers results. There are cheaper ways in just to test the water, with a star adventurer mount and a DSLR with normal camera lens, but if you get the bug you won't want to stop there. 

The skywatcher ED80 or similar is a good visual scope but easily outperformed by a 6" or 8" Dobsonian when used visually. The real beauty of the ED80 is its versatility; even after you have got something larger for visual use they still make excellent widefield AP scopes, and are very portable. Many people keep them as a second scope.

The 127mm Mak SLT was largely responsible for restarting my enthusiasm for amateur astronomy.  I still use it even though I also now own larger instruments.  So I'd naturally recommend you get that.  You can also do planetary imaging with it using a USB video camera, though the  results will be commensurate with the modest aperture.  It is not suitable for deep-space astrophotography as the long focal ratio does not suit, neither does the lightweight alt-az mount. 

Inevitably somebody recommends that you get a 200mm Dobsonian.  This is a fine instrument if you want aperture and don't care that the mount has no tracking, no GoTo, no slow motions and is not suited to more than the most rudimentary astrophotography. 

The Sky-Watcher Explorer 130AZ-Gti might require mechanical modification to accept a camera. The PDS version of this Newtonian is much used for astrophotography, but on a different, heavier and more expensive mount.

34 minutes ago, DavidJM said:

As Peter says, I would go with a decent Dobsonian, more bang to bucks and will always be a scope to use, can't recommend the Skywatcher 200P enough

Thanx.

Is it the Sky-Watcher Explorer-200P EQ5 you are talking about?

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The 127mm Mak SLT was largely responsible for restarting my enthusiasm for amateur astronomy.  I still use it even though I also now own larger instruments.  So I'd naturally recommend you get that.  You can also do planetary imaging with it, though the  results will be commensurate with the modest aperture.

Inevitably somebody recommends that you get a 200mm Dobsonian.  This is a fine instrument if you want aperture and don't care that the mount has no tracking, no GoTo, no slow motions and is not suited to more than the most rudimentary astrophotography. 

I also have the Mak 127, suggested the 200P solely on getting into observing first at low expense as mentioned

Your choice of scope is also dependent on where you'll be observing from.  If it is near you home, an 8" Dob is fine.  If you have to take public transit or bike to it, then the 127 Mak will be the better choice.  If you have a good sized vehicle, either is fine.

The local dealer for this here says that the Celeron Nexstart 127 is better for just observing, but if i want to take pictures the Sky- watcher Explorer 130 is better.

They are both on sales this week.

Any thoughts?

58 minutes ago, Platon said:

The local dealer for this here says that the Celeron Nexstart 127 is better for just observing, but if i want to take pictures the Sky- watcher Explorer 130 is better.

They are both on sales this week.

Any thoughts?

Depends what you want to observe - large or small objects?  And the 130P will not be much good for imaging unless you put it on an imaging mount.  See my first post above.

4 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Depends what you want to observe - large or small objects?  And the 130P will not be much good for imaging unless you put it on an imaging mount.  See my first post above.

I want to see both deep sky objects and planets.

One other thing is that the Sky-watcher comes with wifi so i could control it directly from an app and with the Celestron i have to use the remote control.

Desperatly need advice fast.

The following two Sky-watcher telescopes are on sales until friday this week.

As explained further up here i am a newbie so i don't know exactly what i will prefer watching i the near future.

The two telescopes are:

• Sky-Watcher Explorer 130AZ-Gti
  • Sky-Watcher Skymax 102 AZ Gti

Where the102 is slightly more expensive than the 130.

The 102 is "narrowed" down so all though it is short it has a real focal length of 1300mm (f/12.7) while the 130 has a focal length of 650mm.

What would you recommend would be the best buy for me?

130: https://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-explorer-130-az-gti-wifi-go-to-telescope-13366-p.asp

102: http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/beginners-telescopes/skymax-102-az-gti.html

On 18/03/2019 at 07:10, rl said:

Peter's advice is sound...get some visual experience first before hitting the steep learning curve that is astrophotography.

If you insist on jumping in with astrophotography at the deep end, any of the the 80mm aperture apochromatic refractors on the market teamed up with a HEQ5 mount is a very popular tried-and-tested route into the subject. Possibly the most popular scope is the Skywatcher ED80 which has become virtually an institution with good reason.

For AP the mount is at least as important as the scope....don't skimp here because it's unglamorous metal. 

Canon DSLR cameras have the best support for astronomical use. 

Universal advice is to read one of the excellent books available on AP before diving in. "Making every Photon Count" is a favourite.

But...you need to budget for: telescope, mount, field flattener, camera, guidescope, guide camera, laptop, software.........and time to learn how to use it all. You may have some of the kit already but most people find there is little change out of £1000 by the time they have a setup that actually delivers results. There are cheaper ways in just to test the water, with a star adventurer mount and a DSLR with normal camera lens, but if you get the bug you won't want to stop there. 

The skywatcher ED80 or similar is a good visual scope but easily outperformed by a 6" or 8" Dobsonian when used visually. The real beauty of the ED80 is its versatility; even after you have got something larger for visual use they still make excellent widefield AP scopes, and are very portable. Many people keep them as a second scope.

Planton

I started out with a SW 10" collapsible Dob, which is easy to transport and store

The main thing is good quality eyepieces

Most scopes come with a basic  10mm and 25mm eyepieces

I then upgraded to a SW ED80, which has been mentioned, and mine is on a EQ5 mount

I still use the Dob more than the ED80, as just plonk on the ground, aim and view, where the ED80 on EQ5 mount, takes longer to setup, using the SynScan controller, inserting GPS location, Date/time, doing one or 2 star alignment

Have attached pics of both

ED80 was taken at my club solar viewing day

If have an astronomy club close to you, rock up one club meet night, and members only too happy to show you their setup, and you will also have an opportunity to view different type of scopes 

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Ok, sit down... Breathe... Relax. 

You asked some questions, you got replies, and other questions.You still don't know exactly what you want. 

Sorry to be blunt, but this alone can lead you to frustration. Buying in a hurry is even worse. 

Ok, now, the chosen mount is not primarily designed for photo

Both scopes have about the same light gathering power, but as you were told: the mak has a longer focal length and will show you  smaller objects better (planets, galaxies, planetary nebulae, globulars, moon craters). To look at them with the same magnification through the newt you'd need a barlow or a shorter eyepiece.

With a small planetary cam, the mak would give you IMMEDIATELY nice pics of the moon and planets. Deep space imaging: NO, NO. 

The newt: good for larger objects (nebulae, star fields, moon), will need shorter eyepieces. Focuser ends up in weird positions sometimes, need to rotate ota. Has diffraction spikes. 

great for DSO photo, IF it can reach focus with DSLR (not sure the Explorer can, you should check), IF you use a comacorr, and IF you use it on an equatorial mount. it needs collimation, not a big deal but not as maintenance free as the mak, so a bit less of a beginners scope.

This being said: I have a Skywatcher 150pds newt, and just love it. My primary interest is DSO photo and it works just fine, yet you'd need at least an HEQ5. But it's great on planets too, with a barlow. 

I also have two ED refractors, fine for beginners, and have used a mak, but as I'm not primarily interested in planets, i didn't fall in love with it. 

For me both scopes are undermounted on an AZGTi, the newt more so. 

Are you sure you need to choose today, and only between those two? 

No chance to join a club or go out with a friend? 

Try at least to understand your preferred targets! 

Fabio

---> SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE, I didn't notice that the new mak is a 102. Basic concepts still True, but the 130 newt is definitely better due to the light gathering power. Just use a barlow to increase the focal length

I first bought the 102 Mak as it was the best I could afford at the time. 

I was always somewhat disappointed with it for observing as the aperture is a bit small - I managed to get the 127mm second hand a couple of years ago and it is now the scope I'm most likely to set up first, and certainly the one we take on holiday. 

So I would advise going for the 130 Explorer instead, not least because it's got about 70% more light capturing area. 

The az-gti with free firmware update can work on a wedge in eq mode however I'd then use just a camera with camera lens for DSO imagining. For the Moon or planets you can use the mount in AZ mode and with the telescope MAK and possibly the 130 as with planets you tend to do video.

One more question: both Solutions you identified have the same mounts... Why should the SW be wifi and the Celestron not? 

---> WRONG QUESTION, please disregard this post and read below... 

5 minutes ago, FaDG said:

One more question: both Solutions you identified have the same mounts... Why should the SW be wifi and the Celestron not? 

The OP was originally considering the Nexstar 127 vs the 130 Explorer. 

S/he's now considering either the Explorer or a SkyMax 102 on the same mount (so both are WiFi)

Just now, Gfamily said:

The OP was originally considering the Nexstar 127 vs the 130 Explorer. 

S/he's now considering either the Explorer or a SkyMax 102 on the same mount (so both are WiFi)

Yes, just noticed the change, so also my first post should be corrected (will do so) , as the aperture is not comparabile anymore, and the 130 would beat the 102 hands down on planets too (when barlowed... ) 

Except that the 102 sits on the AZ-GTi much more comfortably than the newt. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for pointing out. 

Thanx alot Stargazers, much appreciated.

I will consider a little more what to do.

The whole process of choosing equipment wasn't as straightforward as i thought it would be.

Maybe i am over complitating it a bit also.

I have browsed the used market in Norway and it's not that many interesting things, but there is the following two models:

The 6 SE is a 2013 model and comes with several eyepieces and a barlow.

The 8" i don't know it it's a Nexstar 8 or what. I have sent a message to the seller asking for model and year, but he haven't answered yet.

Archived