Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first telescope

The 6SE has eyepieces and a imaging camera for imaging the Moon and planets. I would want to see a head on shot of the front element of the 6SE and you'd want to see the mount being moved by the handset to I think. The mount has goto I think and celestron support a wedge and there by equatorial movement should you wish to dabble beyond altaz imaging limitations. I don't know how it compares price wise to what you were looking at.

The other 8" is bigger but the mount shown is not something I am familiar with.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Platon said:

The 8" i don't know it it's a Nexstar 8 or what. I have sent a message to the seller asking for model and year, but he haven't answered yet.

You'll need this detail. It is clearly a large fork mounted SCT, presumably a C8 and a previous model to the current CPC800. There was a model called a Nexstar 8 GPS or something, that you could look up for comparison.  Ask if it a GoTo or what.  The stand in the picture includes an equatorial wedge.  The HD wedge for the CPC800 costs £400.

The current CPC800 has a superbly solid fork mount and tripod and is ideal for planetary imaging. It is also extremely heavy.  If that's not what you have in mind and you just want it for visual, get a C6 SE or C8 SE instead - much lighter, and easier to sell on.

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You'll need this detail. It is clearly a large fork mounted SCT, presumably a C8 and a previous model to the current CPC800. There was a model called a Nexstar 8 GPS or something, that you could look up for comparison.  Ask if it a GoTo or what.  The stand in the picture includes an equatorial wedge.  The HD wedge for the CPC800 costs £400.

The current CPC800 has a superbly solid fork mount and tripod and is ideal for planetary imaging. It is also extremely heavy.  If that's not what you have in mind and you just want it for visual, get a C6 SE or C8 SE instead - much lighter, and easier to sell on.

I guess it is a Celestron Ultima 8 as it says that on the base.

That second one is an Ultima 8, probably with PEC, from somewhere in the 1990s.  It has a Byers worm drive.  That would be a very stable and capable imaging rig.  It has Starbright coatings as standard and generally very good optics.  It would definitely not be grab and go due to the weight of the substantial fork and drive.  It is also not computerized in the least.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

That second one is an Ultima 8, probably with PEC, from somewhere in the 1990s.  It has a Byers worm drive.  That would be a very stable and capable imaging rig.  It has Starbright coatings as standard and generally very good optics.  It would definitely not be grab and go due to the weight of the substantial fork and drive.  It is also not computerized in the least.

Very right, it was from 1992 :)

Would you be sceptic to buy a 5 year old Celestron Nexstar 6 SE like this?

It's 600 kilometers from me so it's not so easy to see it before buying.

And what price would you give?

At the moment a new one in Norway without the extra equipment cost 1530 euro, but only a few months back it was on sale for 1030 euro.

3 hours ago, Platon said:

My C8 SE is that old, and there is nothing wrong with the optics though the kit collected a few scrapes and small dents from previous owners, and a touch of rust on steel screws. It all works. I had to sort out the collimation and a few details on receipt, but it was half the price of a new one and has the latest Starbright XLT coatings. Regardless of distance, you should not buy without an inspection, or a guarantee that you can return it if faulty.  But most amateur astronomers look after their kit.

Also do a due diligence check to confirm that the seller is an amateur astronomer and does not live in Nigeria. ?

Price - reckon on paying around 2/3 (66%) of the cost of a new one for a recent model used kit in good condition.  You can check the new price in UK/Europe if you look at some dealer's sites - most offer a discount on RRP and I suspect 1030 euros is closer to what you would normally pay.  Factor in the value of any useful accessories not included in the new retail kit - for instance good eyepieces (£50+ each) and a Neximage 5 camera (£200?)  and powerpack (£50?)

4 hours ago, Platon said:

If it has been regularly used by an knowledgeable person who is simply moving it along to make room for other scopes, then I generally have the utmost confidence it works great.  I'd be skeptical about estate sale finds by resellers where it has been in storage for years and may have corrosion, mechanical, or lubrication issues.  In those cases, the seller has no idea how to properly describe its condition other than to say "looks clean!".

1 hour ago, Platon said:

It's only $100 less than absolutely new, so why bother with a return?  It's cheaper new on their website than on ebay by another $100.

9 hours ago, Platon said:

Only if you live in the US. It's a brand new scope with $100 off because the box has been opened.  The US prices are lower than in Europe, to the annoyance of many Europeans, but once you add on VAT, customs, shipping, etc it is not so attractive and I would advise buying from a dealer in your own country.  

Actually I would advise you to buy one of the smaller and cheaper scopes you were looking at in the first place as a starter.  It does not matter hugely which one - any of them would let you try some practical astronomy and give you a better idea what you want to buy next, without spending all your money on a big scope that does not fit your informed preferences after some experience.  The mount of a C8 SE, for instance, is not well suited for any sort of imaging.

A small scope can be re-purposed as a travel scope or grab'n go instrument. 

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Only if you live in the US. It's a brand new scope with $100 off because the box has been opened.  The US prices are lower than in Europe, to the annoyance of many Europeans, but once you add on VAT, customs, shipping, etc it is not so attractive and I would advise buying from a dealer in your own country.  

Actually I would advise you to buy one of the smaller and cheaper scopes you were looking at in the first place as a starter.  It does not matter hugely which one - any of them would let you try some practical astronomy and give you a better idea what you want to buy next, without spending all your money on a big scope that does not fit your informed preferences after some experience.  The mount of a C8 SE, for instance, is not well suited for any sort of imaging.

A small scope can be re-purposed as a travel scope or grab'n go instrument. 

When it comes to price this product will cost almost twice as much from a Norwegian dealer also when i include norwegian VAT and shipping.
There are no customs expenses for binoculars, telescopes, etc here.

1 hour ago, Platon said:

When it comes to price this product will cost almost twice as much from a Norwegian dealer also when i include norwegian VAT and shipping.
There are no customs expenses for binoculars, telescopes, etc here.

I find this somewhat surprising.  If I was to buy the C8 SE example you cite, after paying the carriage and import charges cited on the web-page, the saving over a typical discounted UK price would be too small to justify the extra stress and bother involved.  Note that you would be liable for Norwegian VAT at 25%.

I was curious enough to do some sums and, based on UK prices, a C8 SE should cost you around 11.810 NKr, (discounted) or 19.709 NKr (recommended retail price) including Norwegian 25% VAT.  If Norwegian dealers are charging more than that, well... maybe you should telephone and say you will import unless they offer a better deal.

But as I wrote before, you should start with a smaller telescope.

41 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I find this somewhat surprising.  If I was to buy the C8 SE example you cite, after paying the carriage and import charges cited on the web-page, the saving over a typical discounted UK price would be too small to justify the extra stress and bother involved.  Note that you would be liable for Norwegian VAT at 25%.

I was curious enough to do some sums and, based on UK prices, a C8 SE should cost you around 11.810 NKr, (discounted) or 19.709 NKr (recommended retail price) including Norwegian 25% VAT.  If Norwegian dealers are charging more than that, well... maybe you should telephone and say you will import unless they offer a better deal.

But as I wrote before, you should start with a smaller telescope.

In the example it would cost me: 

Telescope: NOK 9 431
Freight: NOK 1 834
VAT: NOK 2 378
Total NOK 13 643

The cheapest in Norway now is NOK 22 000 + freight.

Quite a big difference.

That it might be a bit overkill to start with is so.

If my interest grows then it would be a better choice?

My problem is that i will lose a bit more money if not.

I see that you have the same on yourself also.

6 minutes ago, Platon said:

If my interest grows then it would be a better choice?

That all depends ... you would be better advised to get a small scope and find out what exactly your interest is.  If you have to sell, the price drop on a small telescope will be less than on a large one.  I started the instrument collection ? on my signature with the 127mm Mak, which I still use regularly, mainly for looking at planets in daylight.  I recently acquired a CPC800 at some expense, purely for planetary imaging, because the C8 SE mount is only really suitable for visual use.  That said, the C8 is a fine instrument and you could take the OTA off and put it on an equatorial imaging mount.

I wouldn't ship an SCT over great distances.  Their correctors tend to be thin and fragile, and international shippers are brutal and uncaring, so not a good combination.  I received a boxed eyepiece from Germany where the outer box had been crushed all the way to the inner eyepiece box which was luckily quite sturdy.  Had that been a simply boxed SCT, it would have been trashed.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I wouldn't ship an SCT over great distances.  Their correctors tend to be thin and fragile, and international shippers are brutal and uncaring, so not a good combination.  I received a boxed eyepiece from Germany where the outer box had been crushed all the way to the inner eyepiece box which was luckily quite sturdy.  Had that been a simply boxed SCT, it would have been trashed.

You are probably right about that.

Even though all telescopes in Norway are transported here.

Also single deliveries when dealers here don't have it on stock.

48 minutes ago, Platon said:

You are probably right about that.

Even though all telescopes in Norway are transported here.

Also single deliveries when dealers here don't have it on stock.

Remember, dealers often receive stock on cling-wrapped pallets via specialized shipping companies.  The individual boxes reinforce and protect each other.  That, and tossing individual boxes around isn't possible when they're all held tightly together.  I won't buy hard-drives except locally because they tend to get damaged internally during consumer shipping.

3 hours ago, Platon said:

I also got a chance to buy a used Celestron cpc 800 gps xlt not far from where i live.

Any experience with that anyone?

I recently acquired one.  The OTA is the popular C8, same as on C8 SE, but it has a heavy fork mount and a heavy tripod.  If you want to do planetary imaging, it is an ideal instrument as the mount is smooth and rock steady.  However, the OTA and fork cannot be separated and this subassembly is startlingly heavy at ~20Kg/44lbs.  Definitely not a portable or grab'n go instrument.  You can pick up a completely assembled C8 SE kit and carry it outdoors, but you can't do that with a CPC 800. 

If you are only interested in visual, save yourself effort (and possibly money) and get a C8 SE (or as I wrote before, preferably something smaller) instead.

I have decided to order a C8 SE from usa as it is almost half the price compared to Norway.

I spoke to the seller about the packaging and possible freight damages and the ship these around the world all the time with very few problems and they are anyway insured.

Thanx alot for all the help and advice i have received in this post.

It's much appreciated.

Archived