SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Barn door open or close?

g-rex

Have built myself a barn door tracker that I was thinking of making motorized. It seems the way to go is an Arduino using a stepper motor is the usual thing to do.

All the things I've read say hinge on the left and the door opens.

My question is if the hinge is on the right and the door closes does it still work exactly the same?  I'm guessing yes  but a bit unsure.

Cheers

Graeme

3 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Only if you use chickens to motorize it you should keep the barn door closed. You wouldn't want them to wander off.

No one in their right mind would use chickens for this these days. Hamsters produce much lower tracking periodic error and smoother running drive.

8 hours ago, vlaiv said:

No one in their right mind would use chickens for this these days. Hamsters produce much lower tracking periodic error and smoother running drive.

Like it! ?

Reason I ask is that to open (or lift the door, camera and lens) will take a decent motor with some torque. 

But if it's closing its effectively coming down under its own weight, so surely a motor out of a clock (with gearing to make from 12 hr to 24hr) would suffice?

Am trying to keep things as cheap and simple as possible.

Graeme

Thanks for that. Can you remember if it was built the same then? So it just closed east to west instead of opening east to west? 

What I'm trying to ask (and possibly not making a good job of it) is will the tracker I've built work if I have the hinge on the right, or do I have to somehow change bits on it to make it work this way?

Graeme

9 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Does your build use a threaded rod being turned to lift the door? The itsy motor i've on mine turns 1 rpm and it's works pretty good. 

Yes. A curved rod. M6 bolt which requires to be turned at 1rpm.

Can I ask what motor you used and is it a controlled stepper motor or just a straightforward 1rpm motor?

Thanks

Graeme

1rpm can be easily implemented with stepper motor, you don't even need micro stepping. 200 step one will need step fired every 0.3s to get 1RPM - that is fine enough stepping not to be noticed on small focal lengths.

Thanks for the replies.

Some food for thought.

I'm comfortable making things but electronics are a bit of a dark art to me. Was hoping to steer away from stepper motors but guess I need to do some research on them. 

One more question (sorry)

I have a EQ2 mount with a Skywatcher 130 on it. If I bought a Skywatcher motor for it and piggybacked the DSLR on this do you have any idea if this would be more or less accurate than a barn door tracker? 

My thinking is if it's as accurate I've got the motor to help with viewing too.

Thanks

Graeme 

Still learning polar alignment (only just got it) but I would've aligned the telescope/mount with the red dot finder I have. The point about the wind is a good one. Especially as where I live is quite open.

Yeah, definitely a steep learning curve! 

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated. Will make use of these cloudy nights by trying to soak up as much info as I can.

Cheers

Graeme

You polar align the mount (not telescope).

The earth rotates on an axis. Where you live the latitude is your position. Polaris (well really the north celestial pole) isn't moving everything rotates around it. The angle from where you stand to the NCP is your latitude. You align the mount to that so that you can track the rotation by just turning one axis, the RA axis. Once aligned the telescope can point anywhere.

I won't mention the meridian flip.

Archived