NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rosette Nebula

12 minutes ago, Startinez said:

I'm quite the novice, but it's really encouraging to see how much light and effects can be extracted from that original image. I had no idea! I'm going to have a play about with it myself but is there a general workflow suggestion that would be useful?

Sorry to digress from the original topic.

Just tell us first what software do you use? Photoshop, PixInsight?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Just tell us first what software do you use? Photoshop, PixInsight?

I have GIMP, Registax, DSS and Autostakkert although I'm thinking the last two would be redundant for the stage this image is already at?

8 hours ago, Startinez said:

I have GIMP, Registax, DSS and Autostakkert although I'm thinking the last two would be redundant for the stage this image is already at?

I have no skl for them haha. I can help you a lot with PixInsight if you get it.

18 hours ago, Startinez said:

I use Photoshop, so I think you'd be able to follow largely the same kind of workflow in GIMP.  Bear in mind that I'm still near the bottom of the learning curve with post processing, but my workflow starts by using levels to colour balance (shift the middle slider on each colour channel separately to make the histogram peaks overlap - don't worry about overhanging tails), raise the black point a little (taking care not to clip shadows), then use curves to stretch and bring out the nebulosity (a luminosity mask can help to stop the stars bloating too much).  I keep checking for colour neutrality in the background, and repeat the levels adjustment to colour balance and the curve adjustment to stretch until it starts to show the nebula nicely without the noise becoming too much.  Lots of small adjustments seem to give a better result than a few more aggressive ones.

I'd love to see what you can get from the data.

On 25/03/2019 at 17:52, GraemeH said:

I always enjoy seeing what other people do with the same data I've tried to process.  Thank you for sharing your result.

Thank you for sharing your data, was fun adding those colours ?.

CS

On 25/03/2019 at 17:53, GraemeH said:

I was already using dithering for this (average dither was around 8-10 pixels).  Maybe just not enough subs to smooth out the noise (only 24 x 300").

Those red gradients are from light poluttion, will not go away by dithering. Will vanish as u appraoch a dark sky site , r u using LP filters ?

Here is an HRGB test version 2hrs ha 1 hr RGb shot from an yellow zone., where the Ha data covers the light polllution disturbances.

1114612625_RsttaHRGB.jpg.f07dfee1d896abbcf3c8a44483af870b.jpg

Cs

Rush

On 06/03/2019 at 15:28, GraemeH said:

I've posted an earlier process of this data in the Christmas Present Challenge, but I find myself keeping coming back to it to make small adjustments.  I guess we all do that, especially in poor weather when we can't capture any new data.  I'd be grateful for any hints about how I might improve this further (beyond the obvious one of more exposure time).  I think my processing skills are improving, but I'm still near the bottom of the learning curve (or maybe that should be cliff).

Technical details:
Scope: Skywatcher ED72
Mount: Nexstar Evolution on wedge
Camera: Canon 6D unmodified
Flattener: OVL non-reducing flattener
Filter: Baader UHC-S
Guider: QHY5Lii-c & Skywatcher 9 x 50 finder
Software: APT, PHD2, DSS, Photoshop

Thanks for looking.

Rosette v3.png

Hi Greame stunning pic .a quick question I see ur using the qhy5l iic and phd2 can you remember having any issues with timing out or not recognising the cam ?

Thanks  Si

6 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi Greame stunning pic .a quick question I see ur using the qhy5l iic and phd2 can you remember having any issues with timing out or not recognising the cam ?

Thanks  Si

I vaguely remember having some issues with getting the QHY drivers to install properly, but it was some time ago and haven't had any difficulties since then.

Archived