Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette Nebula

I've posted an earlier process of this data in the Christmas Present Challenge, but I find myself keeping coming back to it to make small adjustments.  I guess we all do that, especially in poor weather when we can't capture any new data.  I'd be grateful for any hints about how I might improve this further (beyond the obvious one of more exposure time).  I think my processing skills are improving, but I'm still near the bottom of the learning curve (or maybe that should be cliff).

Technical details:
Scope: Skywatcher ED72
Mount: Nexstar Evolution on wedge
Camera: Canon 6D unmodified
Flattener: OVL non-reducing flattener
Filter: Baader UHC-S
Guider: QHY5Lii-c & Skywatcher 9 x 50 finder
Software: APT, PHD2, DSS, Photoshop

Thanks for looking.

Rosette v3.png

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

I've posted an earlier process of this data in the Christmas Present Challenge, but I find myself keeping coming back to it to make small adjustments.  I guess we all do that, especially in poor weather when we can't capture any new data.  I'd be grateful for any hints about how I might improve this further (beyond the obvious one of more exposure time).  I think my processing skills are improving, but I'm still near the bottom of the learning curve (or maybe that should be cliff).

Technical details:
Scope: Skywatcher ED72
Mount: Nexstar Evolution on wedge
Camera: Canon 6D unmodified
Flattener: OVL non-reducing flattener
Filter: Baader UHC-S
Guider: QHY5Lii-c & Skywatcher 9 x 50 finder
Software: APT, PHD2, DSS, Photoshop

Thanks for looking.

Rosette v3.png

You are clipping your data..background is way to dark + you started getting holes in the nebulae itself.

7 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

You are clipping your data..background is way to dark + you started getting holes in the nebulae itself. 

It's strange - it looks much darker here than on the same screen whilst still in Photoshop.  I do try to be careful about not letting the histogram peak get too close to the left edge.  Thanks for the feedback though.

4 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

It's strange - it looks much darker here than on the same screen whilst still in Photoshop.  I do try to be careful about not letting the histogram peak get too close to the left edge.  Thanks for the feedback though.

This area is bright overall. Just make it brighter and thats it

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GraemeH said:

Constant cloud cover has given me plenty of time to play around with this data a bit more. Have I improved the final result? 

Rosette v6.png

Yes much better. Now lower your saturation as the red is burning on my screen. And thats it. Perfect :)

1 hour ago, serbiadarksky said:

Nice! Is there any way to upload the stacked unedited tif file?

Sure - I'd love to see what someone with more processing skill than me can do with it.  Attached is the uncropped, unedited stack.  This is from 24 x 300", ISO 1600 with flats and bias (no darks - dithered after every frame), rest of the details in the first post of the thread.

AHD Med KS.TIF

25 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

Sure - I'd love to see what someone with more processing skill than me can do with it.  Attached is the uncropped, unedited stack.  This is from 24 x 300", ISO 1600 with flats and bias (no darks - dithered after every frame), rest of the details in the first post of the thread.

AHD Med KS.TIF 112.96 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks for sharing, I always love it when people share their data

6 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

@GraemeH I took the time and played with it. I didnt oversaturated it, but noise reduced the background, keeped the fain nebulosity north and west from nebula too.

I hope you like it :)

AHD_Med_KS_ABE.jpg

Thank you - love the hint of blue that you've managed to get in the centre of the nebula. 

I made the mistake of requesting a trial license for Pixinsight before I was ready to really understand what to do with it. I'm now reluctant to buy a full license in case I still don't get on well with it. 

20 hours ago, GraemeH said:

I made the mistake of requesting a trial license for Pixinsight before I was ready to really understand what to do with it. I'm now reluctant to buy a full license in case I still don't get on well with it. 

You can request another trial license online, even with the same email address and you will probably get another 45 days to play around with it for free.  I did this on 2 occasions and it went through fine.

By the way, that final process above looks lovely well done!

4 hours ago, feilimb said:

You can request another trial license online, even with the same email address and you will probably get another 45 days to play around with it for free.  I did this on 2 occasions and it went through fine.

By the way, that final process above looks lovely well done!

Thanks for the heads up - completed my request for a new trial license and it came through within about 15 minutes. Time to give it another try...

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:45, Rush said:

Hi,

little more colours added to sweet Rosetta:)

Hope i didnt ruin your image.

cheers

Rush

889666515_GHRosetta.jpg.a94460cb14e12e29b057442c8a2e5496.jpg

I always enjoy seeing what other people do with the same data I've tried to process.  Thank you for sharing your result.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 00:17, serbiadarksky said:

Interesting. As the colors get a but saturation - the color mottle accross the image shows up..I thought it is only my editing went wrong. I suggest start ditgering :)

I was already using dithering for this (average dither was around 8-10 pixels).  Maybe just not enough subs to smooth out the noise (only 24 x 300").

I'm quite the novice, but it's really encouraging to see how much light and effects can be extracted from that original image. I had no idea! I'm going to have a play about with it myself but is there a general workflow suggestion that would be useful?

Sorry to digress from the original topic.

Archived