NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rimae Hippalus

astroavani

wXLxiTs5CRJd_1824x0_n6Yk_5AN.jpg
Concentric rilles are the largest and most impressive on the moon many times. The best example is Rimae Hippalus forming an arc around the eastern side of Mare Humorum . Northeast and above Hippalus a strange thing happens - some rilles bow and tornan is concave to the east . The most notable of these features is named Rima Agatharchides , but is actually a part of Rille or Hippalus family?
Rima , Rimae ( Channel ) or for some selenogistas Rille ( narrow valley ) - Fissure or channel
lava that collapsed totally or partially.
The Rimae (plural rhyme ) Hippalus are straight or curved rilles , or failure caused by tension in the crust . Other sinuous rilles are believed to have formed by fast moving lava flow . Sinuous rilles often originate crumbling volcanic vents and ramps .
In the attached picture you can see perfectly Rimae Hippalus  and Rima Agatharchides outstanding examples of the above .
A bonus that I liked very much in this photo, it was the ease of realizing that the Marth crater, actually a concentric crater, observe it carefully in the lower right corner.
Mosaic from 2 photos using iMerge
Stack of 172 frames in each picture with AS ! 2
Photofiltre Processing and Irfan .
https://www.astrobin.com/full/392653/0/?nc=user

Incredible detail.

2 hours ago, astroavani said:

Rima Agatharchides , but is actually a part of Rille or Hippalus family?

My guess would be that the main one is not. R.Hippalus seem to stop at the boundaries of N & P. The fainter members of  R.Agatharchides look as if they might be continuations (partially covered by the formation of Agatharchides P, but the most obvious one is definitely in a different direction. Maybe the R.Agatharchides features formed at different times and just happened to be in the same place? Just my guess ... I just don't know enough about the formation of lunar features ...

10 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Detalhe incrível.

Meu palpite seria que o principal não é. R.Hippalus parece parar nos limites de N e P. Os membros mais fracos de R.Agatharchides parecem ser continuações (parcialmente cobertos pela formação de Agatharchides P, mas o mais óbvio é definitivamente em uma direção diferente. Talvez as características do R.Agatharchides tenham se formado em épocas diferentes e por acaso estivessem no mesmo lugar ... Apenas meu palpite ... Eu não sei o suficiente sobre a formação de feições lunares ...

But it's a great guess! In fact this analysis was made by the great Chuck Woods in a photo of the same lineup I posted on LPOD.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived