Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier 81 and 82 panorama

Barry-Wilson

29 minutes ago, tomato said:

It’s a superb result, so much detail and exquisite colours.

And thanks for posting the earlier image from your UK location, that is a mighty fine image also and clearly shows what can be achieved from a dark UK location. 

I have always thought remote imaging is not for me but my resolve is weakening every time you  post an image taken from e-Eye. I will have to see what’s possible first when the retirement observatory is up and running.

And 16 hours processing time! I was kind of hoping quality data would mean spending less time in front of the monitor. I am hoping you can tell me that something like the 80/20 rule applies here, ie you get 80% of the desired outcome from 20% of the time spent processing? I can spend quite a few hours on my data but that is trying to tease out some detail from the noise...

Yes, the good old 80/20 rule applies.  The 'additional' processing time arises from experimenting with modifying masks to highlight the jets, tweaking Curves etc; undoing the change, trying again etc; bespoke mask to deal with an oddity of a single star etc.  Much of the image is arrived at with 'limited' processing.  I use the Batch PreProcessing script to calibrate but not align.  This can take some time with many subs, plus a repeat for the Ha, which at a longer integration requires its own Cosmetic Correction (sorry for the PI jargon if you are a PS person).

I have screenshots saved for a new tutorial on bespoke masks.  And I do plan a tutorial to show the basic PI workflow, a question I often see arise from new PI users who need some elemantary steps and structure to get them started before they have sufficient confidence to venture off piste ?. (See https://barrywilson.smugmug.com/PixInsight-Tutorials).  Harry's Astro Shed is of course a very good resource!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Barry, that is very interesting indeed to see your UK version for comparison. It renews my hope for UK skies. It’s a lovely image, but the new Spanish version is significantly improved. However, the Spanish image is 56 hours of total integration compared to 8.5 hours of UK time. I wonder... is the only actual advantage of your Spanish sky the higher number of clear nights? Please say yes, whatever the real answer is!!!

Gav - now, what approach do I take with this answer . . . ?? For e-Eye, it is a combination darker skies, better seeing (better transparency, less pollution?) more clear nights, higher altitude.  Then there is a scope advantage with bigger glass and smaller pixels.  However, a good long clear spell during the New Moon in February and steady seeing (and similar image resolution) enabling say 30 hours of integration, I think one has the potential to capture the same photons and detail ?.

31 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Just pure eye-candy Barry! Wonderful.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

25 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Fantastically detailed image Barry - simply wonderful.

I must confess that the colour of the galaxies is a bit too vivid for me and that - to my eye - makes them a tad unnatural (I actually prefer the colours in your UK version).  I'm clearly in the minority, though. 

In any case, it's a tremendous image.  Have a cookie...?

Understood Ciaran.  It is likely that ccd/cmos imaging bringing higher resolution to the amateur is encouraging us to push the colours for our art more than a professionally calibrated image would do.  Now this technology is available, we are perhaps a little intoxicated with its potential and the simple joy it brings us in revelaing the universe while sitting in the comfort of our house ?.  This is an ESA Hubble image of M82, here, and its colours are not as bright or saturated as mine.  It does fill the frame though and this enables the detail to be seen above the noise floor - got to get me a satellite telescope ?!

9 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Thanks Ian.

Understood Ciaran.  It is likely that ccd/cmos imaging bringing higher resolution to the amateur is encouraging us to push the colours for our art more than a professionally calibrated image would do.  Now this technology is available, we are perhaps a little intoxicated with its potential and the simple joy it brings us in revelaing the universe while sitting in the comfort of our house ?.  This is an ESA Hubble image of M82, here, and its colours are not as bright or saturated as mine.  It does fill the frame though and this enables the detail to be seen above the noise floor - got to get me a satellite telescope ?!

Hi Barry

I love the colours, for me they are spot on ?

Think you're mixing me up with @x6gas Easy done, we have very similar usernames ?

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Gav - now, what approach do I take with this answer . . . ?? For e-Eye, it is a combination darker skies, better seeing (better transparency, less pollution?) more clear nights, higher altitude.  Then there is a scope advantage with bigger glass and smaller pixels.  However, a good long clear spell during the New Moon in February and steady seeing (and similar image resolution) enabling say 30 hours of integration, I think one has the potential to capture the same photons and detail ?.

Spanish skies are undoubtedly better than market town Wiltshire skies and the clear night count in Wiltshire is struggling to get above one or two per New Moon... However, my system is all primed and ready to image M81 at 0.75”/pixel. Let’s see how the images compare!!! I’ll get my coat...

On 17/02/2019 at 18:07, Barry-Wilson said:

Thanks Ian.

I understand as well but, just as faint signal develops with integration, so does colour. Nobody tells you off for going too deep. Why would they tell you off for capturing too much colour? No, that's a gross over-simplification, of course, but it might make a starting point for a conversation! 

Olly

PS: I just have to add this. With Barry's images you are always left with the feeling that the data had a bit more to give. But I'll bet my bottom dollar it didn't! That feeling of restraint is sooooo important because it leaves you feeling you are looking into space and not at a computer screen.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I understand as well but, just as faint signal develops with integration, so does colour. Nobody tells you off for going too deep. Why would they tell you off for capturing too much colour? No, that's a gross over-simplification, of course, but it might make a starting point for a conversation! 

Olly

PS: I just have to add this. With Barry's images you are always left with the feeling that the data had a bit more to give. But I'll bet my bottom dollar it didn't! That feeling of restraint is sooooo important because it leaves you feeling you are looking into space and not at a computer screen.

It's a fair point, Olly, but at the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch the colours are just a tad too vivid to me.  It does seem that while I've been away tastes have developed for more saturation (i.e. brighter blues and reds) in these types of targets (or maybe it's always been like that and I just don't remember) and clearly everyone feels that the colours are spot on.  But my personal tastes take nothing away from this terrific image and genuinely weren't meant as a criticism in any way.

14 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Wonderful image Barry. I do like an image presented like this, looks more dramatic.

Much appreciated Richard.

9 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a stupendously good image, Barry without doubt one of or even your best image so far. Absolutely stunning! The time spent in the processing shines through.

Thank you for the praise ? ?.

9 hours ago, FaDG said:

That's stunning! 

The amount of detail and the colours are just mindblowing...?

The image fully deserved the 16 hours of processing. 

Cheers FaDG.

9 hours ago, astro mick said:

Cant really add much to the comments so far said Barry,but the praise is well deserved.You have really worked hard to produce this.

Mick.

?

Archived