SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Auriga DSOs

MartinB

Still getting to grips with my new set up and a few tedious gremlins of my own making made gathering the data for this image a bit of a trial over several nights.  As always, could have done with more data but I've lost the will to live and have now gone into hibernation mode!

Camera: ASI 1600 pro with a Canon 200mm lens at F2.8

Baader filters - Ha 30x300secs gain 150,  R and G each 100x30 secs gain 21, B 100x30 secs gain 150 (total cock up on my part, should have been 21 and caused intense misery during calibration and processing but I'm slowly getting over it)

Captured with SGP, calibrated and combined in Maxim and processed in PS

The image includes the Flaming Star Nebula IC405, The Tadpole Nebula IC 410, IC 417, SH2 234 and 237 along with open clusters M36, M38 and NGC 1907

Auriga HaRGB Jan 2019.jpg

Really nice - and wide?

My field is so much smaller - currently have a go at IC 417, but clouds, a flu and crying babies effectively put that to a stop!

Something wrong with the colour - particularly evident in the lower left where it looks pinkish?

/Thommy 

Thanks Simmo and Thommy.

4 hours ago, Thommy said:

Something wrong with the colour - particularly evident in the lower left where it looks pinkish?

I think the area you are looking at is probably being affected by the blue reflection nebulosity of the flame.  Unfortunately I messed up the camera settings for the blue channel and the flame has come out very poorly.  I suppose I should have done a separate blue channel process specifically to pull out the flame but it is so tiny with this FOV

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Seeing the whole thing like this makes for a great, great image. It's such a shame that this vast Ha region is usually seen as an amputee!

Olly

Ha ha!  Imaging with a 200mm lens and the ASI 1600 feels like an all you can eat buffet!  Attempt at imaging tonight being thwarted by cloud.  Looked on Sat24 and, as usual, it looks crystal clear your way.

Archived