Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting back into imaging after a long break

Gina

I was still light when I went to bed (just) and a lot of the clouds had gone but with dark cloud on the horizon to the south and west anything could happen.

I probably won't be doing any imaging for several weeks at least.  There isn't really enough dark time to make it worth staying up for, at least not until I'm 100% fit.

I shall just slowly work on my ROR chain and motor drive during the daytime.

Edited by Gina

Fortunately with "Summer" targets they're visible right into October-November so we're not fighting a battle with shortening nights. Plenty of time to get well and get those targets in.

Just look after yourself Gina.

• Thanks 1

Just had a look outside, at the sky.  Probably dark enough for NB imaging, a few stars showing and the odd planet or two but there's also cloud.  CO shows this as the best that can be expected with more cloud in the next hours.  No, I wasn't thinking of doing any imaging, just thought I'd have a look at the sky before I go to bed.  I only ventured just outside the door.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

How was it last night Dave? 

Well, I managed 8 subs, 600 sec each, then saw stars missing, and the milky way disappearing so closed up. I think I may have chickened out early, as I started to see more stars as I was going back in, but wasn't going to start again.

Good to hear you're feeling better Gina, take it easy with that obsy.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I am taking it easy.  Not done very much today - been rather too warm but getting cloudy now so might do a bit this evening.  Have made some progress though.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see it through the sycamores right in front of me as I stand in the observatory at the moment.  Not sure if the clear sky will last long enough for it to clear the trees though.

James

Went out with my bridge camera and a bat detector, managed to get some iffy video of bats, but great 'snaps' of the 'sturgeon moon', jupiter and saturn.

Feel guilty for not setting up for planetary as the conditions are great, probably the high wind is sorting the seeing. But my lappy is recording meteors and my camera has a wide angle adaptor on it and is lying on its back on a bit of foam on top of the shed roof taking dodgy pics in the hopes of getting a late meteor.

DSCN3044.thumb.JPG.0593d666b890f5582117f56ff1873558.JPG

• Like 1

There's a fair bit here, too.  And the Moon is so bright I can walk around outside without a torch.  It doesn't look like there's going to be much in the way of clear sky tonight really, so as I didn't sleep very well last night I've decided I can pass for this evening.

James