I guess this qualifies as my 1st ever sketch

Pete Presland

I have said many times on here my drawing ability is pretty poor, but I really like the personal effect of a sketch. So last night during my first observing session of the yearM42 looked so inviting I thought I would give it a go.

Armed with just a piece of paper and HB pencil I managed to produce something vaguely similar to the eyepiece view. I am a regular viewer of the sketches here, so I did follow a few techniques I have read about, particularly the smudging of nebula part of the sketch. Not very easy at the eyepiece, under a red light, with freezing cold hands. 

A quick scan and invert and here we are ?  

m42invert.thumb.jpg.222fae7eb2149a19426d750561ff0e81.jpg

31 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

That's a really nice sketch Pete. Hopefully you'll continue to post many more in the future. I think its really well executed and may inspire others to have a go too. :icon_cyclops_ani:

Thanks, certainly would like to do some at the next available chance. I need a better range of pencils I think as well.

Certainly beats most of my "sketching" - for a start, your stars actually look like stars. I am a great believer in putting pencil to paper to record what you are looking at in some form, simply because it forces you to "see" rather than just "look at". Keep up the good work.

Archived