Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flaming Star IC405

Barry-Wilson

I used this target during its processing as the subject of the PI tutorial for star boosting technique "HSV Repaired Separation" on my SmugMug site.  It is a colourful target after all ?.  I was really keen to show the serene blue reflection nebula that floats seemingly on the surface of the main spiky nebula; adding Ha to supplement the red channel can lead to some strange artefacts at times and I didn't want to lose the hard-won reflection nebula.  I am pleased with the result.

Details:

• Tak FSQ106 at F5
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with Astrodon filters
  • Ha 31 x 1200s; Lum 48 x 600s; each RGB 24 x 600s; total integration 30.3 hrs
  • Own remote shared rig at e-Eye
  • Data acquitision: Barry Wilson & Steve Milne
  • Processing: Barry Wilson

From Wikipedia: "IC 405 (also known as the Flaming Star Nebula, SH 2-229, or Caldwell 31) is an emission and reflection nebula in the constellation Auriga, surrounding the bluish star AE Aurigae. It shines at magnitude +6.0. Its celestial coordinates are RA 05h 16.2m dec +34° 28′.[2] It surrounds the irregular variable star AE Aurigae and is located near the emission nebula IC 410, the open clusters M38 and M36, and the K-class star Iota Aurigae. The nebula measures approximately 37.0' x 19.0', and lies about 1,500 light-years away from Earth. It is believed that the proper motion of the central star can be traced back to the Orion's Belt area. The nebula is about 5 light-years across."

Flaming_Star_LHaRGB_Final.thumb.jpg.ec0a75fe0425987034062b26630a7e10.jpg

Lovely one Barry. The star colour is intense! There will be an opportunity to compare and contrast the skies of Spain with those of North Wiltshire very soon... I am currently processing my data of the Flaming Star Nebula. You’ve set the bar very high! That blue reflection on the nebulosity near to the star AE Aurigae is weird and wonderful, isnt it?!

On 27/01/2019 at 20:50, Seanelly said:

Beautifully done.

Thank you Sean.

On 27/01/2019 at 20:55, ultranova said:

Very pleasing to the eye and the star colours are superb,

Nice and deep judging by all the nebulosity you guy's have captured.

Nicely done both of you.

Paul

The dark sky at e-Eye really does help . . . along with a muxurious amount of data, especially the RGB channel which gives depth.

23 hours ago, Spaceade said:

Gorgeous & well framed. 

Thank you.

23 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Lovely one Barry. The star colour is intense! There will be an opportunity to compare and contrast the skies of Spain with those of North Wiltshire very soon... I am currently processing my data of the Flaming Star Nebula. You’ve set the bar very high! That blue reflection on the nebulosity near to the star AE Aurigae is weird and wonderful, isnt it?!

The benefit of having sufficient time to capture 4 hours of colour for each channel.  Gav, I'm sure you will produce the best you can with your available sky and I look forward to seeing it soon.

23 hours ago, carastro said:

Excellent processing Barry, I love it.  I agree that the Ha does have a tendency to "ruin" the reflection bit of the nebula.  Well controlled. 

Carole 

Much appreciated Carole.

We had one of your fellow imagers from E-Eye do a talk and remote demonstration at the local astro group last Wednesday.   Though it was a bit cloudy in Spain we could at least see it all working.  He explained all the nuts and bolts as to maintaining a remote set up, particularly all the back up plans in case there is a power cut etc etc, it was very interesting.

Carole 

Archived