Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just seen Uranus

Miguel1983

6 hours ago, SIDO said:

Congratulations, I remember my first time in a non tracking scope it was...Fast little thing it is ?

?  i can only imagine, i used my EQ6R-Pro just to be safe ? .

Would it even be possible to track it manually at 560 power with a field of view of 0,1207° ? 

17 minutes ago, Charic said:

I'm certain aside Mars ( which was perfectly located for my setup) that I too saw Uranus last night.
The obvious difference, being the colour blue, compared to the surrounding Stars, and also matching the precise location  as depicted in Stellarium.

Had some family visiting  too,  so it should  have been be a good night for them, looking at the Moon, and during the short spell, they did enjoy seeing the Moon, Mars  and a what we believe to be Uranus. 

It was -4° outside, snow and ice all around, poor seeing initially around 1900 hours, and  it seemed to take ages for the scope to cool, but you could actually see the thermal reduction taking place over time, then about 2130 observing stopped suddenly,  one guest reporting ill possibly needing medical attention.

So my observing count with the scope this year (1) started last night , and  with two Planets and the Moon,  not bad for one night, under the present conditions, and especially good for my guests  as they too have seen two Planets , and the Moon, even the 'holes on the Moon' as one young member described the craters with their own eyes. A good start to the season.

Yep, was a good session here to, my youngest son was to fascinated by our beautiful moon ?

IMG_6985.thumb.JPG.f4f322858d1f7cc8ca53b97600391acb.JPG

29 minutes ago, Miguel1983 said:

?  i can only imagine, i used my EQ6R-Pro just to be safe ? .

Would it even be possible to track it manually at 560 power with a field of view of 0,1207° ? 

I doubt it but in an 8" dob with it's long lever and some experience it isent bad at 350x...does likely look more colourful in the 11" though I'll bet. 

9 hours ago, Charic said:

So my observing count with the scope this year (1) started last night , and  with two Planets and the Moon,  not bad for one night, under the present conditions, and especially good for my guests  as they too have seen two Planets , and the Moon, even the 'holes on the Moon' as one young member described the craters with their own eyes. A good start to the season.

Not a bad start to the year! 

I always think its similar to Neptune but bigger and brighter and obviously non stellar.

I've not bagged any of the moons though, nor Triton.

The good news....Uranus will be well placed for UK viewers for about the next 50  years ! Certainly for the rest of my time.

Archived