Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem with Deep Sky Stacker and my new laptop

Mark500

Hi, I have recently changed my laptop to a Dell XPS 15 which has an i5 processor. Notably it has a combined drive ie it has 100GB Solid State Drive (C:) which is where the programs and operating system reside plus a 1TB Hard Drive (D:) for general files. I am getting error messages from DSS that there is not enough space on my C drive, it requiring on this occasion 4.5GB. Looking at the C drive it was indeed very low on free space, so I freed up some space on my C drive and got rid of that message. But when DSS ran it went through  the whole process to the end and then didn't produce an image. I checked the settings and there is a path specified for the output so that is apparently set correctly. I have used DSS for many years on my old laptop, but this laptop is a problem. I think the issue lies in the combined drives. There is 1TB of space available to it on the D: drive but it doesn't seem to be able to use it. I wonder also if there is an issue with the pathway specified so that it is not 'seeing' the file allocated to it on the D: drive. I tried moving DSS folder to the D: drive and ran it from here but it still has the same issues. Has anyone come across this kind of issue? And is there a solution?

Just a quick suggestion....

100GB SSD is a bit too small for C disk... and Win 10 with all the software we use in AP...

Uninstall all Large APs like Photoshop, PI and etc and DSS.

Create Folder in D disk for example "Programs" and install all your apps to this location.

Also, create Downloands, Documents, Video, Pic, Music and even Desktop folders in D disk, after  - Right Click on each original ShortCut (Video, Documents, Downloads) on the Left Pane, Select Properties >Location and move them one by one to newly created folders in D disk.

Thanks Roland and NGC2419, both replies very helpful indeed. I have sorted my drives out, reallocating files from C to D drive and also found the setting for temporary files folder in DSS. Everything works!

Thanks, Mark

Archived