Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for help with Deep Sky Stacker

Hi' I'm looking for advice with Deep Sky Stacker, One night in the week while imaging the Orion Nebula with a Canon 300D modified with a CLS filter at prime focus to a 8'' reflector i manage to capture 34 frames at 3 mins total time of 1 hour 42 mins.Same frames for Darks, Bias, and Flats. but at the finish of Deep Sky Stacker i only ended up with 21 minutes of frames.What i like to know am i doing any thing wrong with the soft ware to loose frames.The scope was tracking all of the time because i was checking through the finder scope.Thanks for reading.Mark.

Hi

Have you used 'check above a threshold' when registering? What was dss star count like? If any subs showed a low number have a closer look at them. It's a good idea to register frames and check the quality of them and do the stacking separately. You can adjust the star detection threshold and see if that helps. Read the manual! You didn't mention guiding? You will almost certainly need to guide with a big newt... What mount are you using? You'll need something beefy!

Louise

Hi Louise' My mount is a neq6 on a fully charge Skywatcher 17 AMP Power tank.I was looking through the 50mm finder scope to make sure the Nebula was still in line.What you wrote down i will check through on the DSS again.Thanks for your help.Mark

If you're imaging don't even breathe near the scope..once you collected the data be ruthless and kick out the substandard ones  ie any trailing, cloud etc..click on the register files and click on the advanced tab..the lower the percentage the higher the star count..I look for 100 if I can..if 2% don't get you 100 stars then just go with what you have..don't use the saturation etc, just use it for stacking

2 hours ago, jonnydreads said:

Surely the name of something should at least half explain what it does?  I'm a gas engineer,  a PRV stands for pressure relief valve, that half explains what that thing does. ? I think I'm missing a trick ?

City Light Suppression Filter does it, no? 

Archived