SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Year Mars 2019

Moonshane

My garden faces north so this is the first time I managed (have bothered) to sit down and sketch it this apparition BV as it appeared over my house. I confess to wondering what on Earth the bright orange star was for a few seconds!

Here's what I sketched (in rough then transferred to my notebook). And below it, the Calsky view with my scope. Not a bad likeness considering the current apparent size of 7.43 arc seconds!

1546376335121-1926318814.thumb.jpg.5c1ce7c35e0856ab272acbfc1b14cd75.jpg

Screenshot_20190101-210127.thumb.png.efb329c6c41a7d08f6fb33b5ad704900.png

@Moonshane

Great drawing - I was out a little earlier at 17:00 with a 4” refractor at x280 and whilst the view was surprisingly sharp, Mars was very small but did show a strong phase and the central dark area you caught in your drawing along with the brighter left hemisphere.

I suspect it was an easier observation in your 12” scope though 

cheers David

The seeing was a bit poor but yes, the fact I could see anything was helped by the aperture I am sure. I actually wished I'd put out the 120mm Eqionox as this would have been on the HEQ5 and therefore would have allowed a bit more concentration. Nice to have such choices I suppose.

A very nice sketch - way beyond my sketching abilities (artistic skills of a carrot, according to my school art teacher).

Very sharp and detailed tonight even at 7.1 arcsec diameter, with clearly recognizable dark features and a "hint" of a whiter oval at the S Pole. (grab 'n go 127 Mak on a Porta2).

Just a shame that the haze has taken so long to clear; why couldn't Mars have  put on a better show some months back?!

Chris

Archived