Comet 46P - Wirtanen - it is harder than it looks

Getting an image is proving much harder than I anticipated.

I've spent two nights working on the subs.  Although I'm not at all happy with these, rather than write off the time I've spent, I thought I would share it anyway.

I only had four subs with my mono CCD, 4 x 300s, guided on the comet nucleus, so I had to use the ones with satellite trails.  I had the idea to take RGB binned 2x2, but this made aligning the lum and RGB just impossible with the software and skills I had available.  I also took some DSLR subs with M45 too, one hour of 60s subs, but DSS is not working with me.  If I try to stack the comet and stars it comes out colourless, so I've just stacked on the stars and the comet is blurred.

They cant all be good lol

DSLR46P.jpg

St-med-1200.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AA-RL-noMBB-lpc-St-15.jpg

I really like it. Balances and compares the comet with the Pleiades very nicely. The Pleiades look very close to the view in the eyepiece from a dark site too. It’s great to see just how faint the nebulosity really is compared to the comet which I suppose is fairly bright compared to most faint fuzzies.

I'm also finding processing quite challenging but am now taking two images one stacked on the comet and the other on the stars and combining rather than using the one file stacked on both from DSS. There's a thread running with some ideas on it following the original observation of the combined limitations.

Archived