Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any teachers fancy getting their pupils chasing comet 46P?

Helen

Calling teachers/anyone with secondary school links... eg @PhotoGav

I'm working with the Faulkes Telescope Project to get schools imaging Comet 46P (and then hopefully other comets as they come around).  We're putting together some background material and some associated guides for doing basic measurements etc which we hope to develop in number and complexity over coming weeks/months.  This is proper science using the big telescopes FT has access to.  The data will be used by me as part of my PhD, hopefully be presented at the conference on 46P next summer, and shared with other professional observing campaigns too.  (With schools being cited.)  Additionally, the European Space Agency is looking to feature one of our images, and the project, in a few weeks.

The comet is now starting to be visible in the northern hemisphere skies, and travels very conveniently past Orion and upwards through December - at brightest expected to be naked eye magnitude around 16th December (shame about the moon, but...)

If schools want to undertake their own observations in parallel that would be brilliant too. 

So.... if you fancy getting involved send me a PM and we can talk details ?  Obviously, we need to get it going soon!

Helen

Sounds like that could be great fun to do.

I discovered a couple of years ago that the school my children are at has an astronomy club.  Then a few weeks back my wife found out that it was no longer being run due to "lack of interest".  All rather sad :(

James

27 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Sounds like that could be great fun to do.

I discovered a couple of years ago that the school my children are at has an astronomy club.  Then a few weeks back my wife found out that it was no longer being run due to "lack of interest".  All rather sad :(

James

It's rarely lack of interest amongst the children, more that of an available teacher.

Helen would you mind if I copy your post to the Scottish Physics Teacher network (SPUTNIK)  - it's a very active  IOP hosted forum that connects with almost every Physics teacher in Scotland.   It may help to reach some interested parties.  

Jim 

image.gif

14 minutes ago, saac said:

Helen would you mind if I copy your post to the Scottish Physics Teacher network (SPUTNIK)  - it's a very active  IOP hosted forum that connects with almost every Physics teacher in Scotland.   It may help to reach some interested parties.  

Jim 

image.gif

Hi Jim,

Yes, that would be great (love the name) ?  We're using this as a start for a new comet/asteroid programme with FT.  So a long term development project.  

Personally, I really want to get schools all geared up for the return of Rosetta's comet 67p in 2020/21.  They can then claim to be part of the Rosetta Mission too ?

The more the merrier!

Thanks

Helen

33 minutes ago, Helen said:

Hi Jim,

Yes, that would be great (love the name) ?  We're using this as a start for a new comet/asteroid programme with FT.  So a long term development project.  

Personally, I really want to get schools all geared up for the return of Rosetta's comet 67p in 2020/21.  They can then claim to be part of the Rosetta Mission too ?

The more the merrier!

Thanks

Helen

Thanks Helen, I'll post it up tomorrow at work and keep fingers crossed we get some interest;I'll pass any email details to you. :) 

Jim 

37 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Can I join  in if I put my short trousers on :grin:

Dave

Well actually.... My next job once FT sorted is to launch a SGL 46p campaign too ?  So yes, you can join in (but I'd suggest keeping your trousers long at this time of year ?)

Helen

Since 46P is already rather large and I assume the FOV of the FT is rather small won't this be rather difficult to get anything useful? I guess you could look for inner coma jets.

Owen

3 hours ago, obrazell said:

Since 46P is already rather large and I assume the FOV of the FT is rather small won't this be rather difficult to get anything useful? I guess you could look for inner coma jets.

Owen

FT has access to 2m, 1m and 0.4m scopes so varying fov.  We are looking at doing a variety of analyses though including coma morphology.

Helen

Archived