Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount & Tripod? (Tak FC-100DC, binoviewer)

PGM

Hello everybody!

I’m new to the forum and to telescopes. I just introduced myself in the proper section, hopefully that will distract you from some embarrassing newbie questions to come.

My life plan is to buy 2 telescopes:
- 4” APO refractor (Takahashi FC-100DC + FT focuser), very soon, for general use;
- 8”, 9.25”, or 11” Celestron SCT, in about 1-2 years, for highest mag. on planets.
In between I also plan to get a Binoviewer, it’s something I can just sense will feel great to me.

I live in a mid-sized city, in a small apartment. Seeing seems to be good, apart from some light pollution from street lamps. I am well aware of the implications of indoor astronomy, but my apartment is where 99% of my work will be done from, due to some mobility problems I have (I can lift or move heavy objects, but stairs are terrible for me and my building has no elevator).

Mount:
I’m estimating the weight load (pre-mount) at 6kg, around 7.5kg with the future binoviewer. A Mini Ercole or a Vamo would probably be enough, but stability and aesthetics are important and portability not so much, so I’m undecided between full-size Giro Ercole and AOK Ayo II, using a Vixen-style bar/clamp for the Tak FC-100DC.

Tripod:
Weight is not a big factor here, but in-between feet diameter is, because I’ll be observing from my cramped apartment. So, tripods with long spreads in-between feet are not the best fit. Wood tripods are also excluded, because they’re bulky, but especially because I can’t get along with their aesthetics - no offense, I know they’re arguably the best for the job! Finally, I’d like the tripod to be black, not white - again, sorry... :D

Max. weight load (inc. mount) would be around 11.5kg, so I’m trying to decide between getting:
- a black EQ6 / CG5 tripod with 2" steel legs (less expensive, 12kg!)

- a Gitzo GT5543LS (obscenely expensive, 4 sections, 40kg) or 5542 predecessor
- a Gitzo GT4553S (very expensive, 5 sections, 25kg) - perhaps
more sections help with observing positions?

So, taking into account that...
- my main interest is the Sun/Moon/Planets
- I want the option to use the highest possible mags seeing will allow
- stability and feet distance diameter are very important, weight/portability is not decisive
- wood/white tripods are not allowed

...I’d love to hear your opinion on the best mount/tripod combo.

Don't know about tripod (in my view 2" steel tripod would suffice), but would advise you on two points:

1. If your main interest are Sun/Moon/Planets, do seriously consider to get a tracking mount. I myself love freedom of good manual alt az mount (have both Dobsonian mounted Newton and also regular AltAz mounted refractor - nothing fancy, just plain old AZ4 from sky watcher), but do think that there is significant advantage in having tracking mount when observing planets - let's you concentrate on observing part. I'm sure other members can be of assistance in choosing a right model here if you decide to go with driven mount (AZ-EQ5 from Skywatcher comes to mind as you can use it in EQ or AZ mode and mount two scopes to it).

2. Also have look at pier / column extension for tripod if floor space is limited - that way you don't have to extend tripod legs fully (saves space), but you will still be able to get required height for seated observation with refractor.

vlaiv, thanks. Very interesting ideas!

Tracking makes sense, but I hadn't considered it yet because it sounds a bit more complicated. I just assumed an Alt-Az would be an easier way for me to start observing and better adapt to low floor space. Let's see if other members chime in.

The pier extension was something I had thought of previously exactly for that reason, then abandoned the idea because of the substancial weight increase. But I have taken note of it again, depending on the tripod. Keen eye! ;)

5 hours ago, GavStar said:

my skywatcher az gti works very well with my Tak FC100D and a good photo tripod (eg gitzo), even with a heavy eyepiece or binoviewer.

Hmm... if I'm seeing correctly, the SW AZ Gti seems to have a 5kg limit, I think I'd be more relaxed with something a little more sturdy for high mag.

7 hours ago, PGM said:

Hmm... if I'm seeing correctly, the SW AZ Gti seems to have a 5kg limit, I think I'd be more relaxed with something a little more sturdy for high mag.

In my experience (and I believe Stu’s?) once a better photo tripod is put on the az gti it copes very well with the fc100DC and heavy eyepiece setup up to say 200x which I think is plenty for most planetary work. I tend to stick to around 150-180x when I’m viewing planets. 

I started with manual alt az mounts such as the vixen porta 2 and t-Rex but having made the switch to goto/tracking, it’s now the only approach I use. I love the fact that the object just stays in the fov and I can just concentrate on observing without recentreing regularly.

Also I started with mostly planetary viewing at high mag but in the past 18 months have done a lot of low mag wide fov dso viewing which I love!

Im sure you will get some other views on mounts that will give you added info to make the right choice for you (which may well be different to my preference ?)

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

In respect to the tripod options, have you considered a Pier mount such as this..
https://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/tripods-piers/skywatcher-pier-for-heq5.html
just a thought when minimum leg spread on a "standard" tripod is not an option..

A pier looks like a too permanent solution for my needs, a tripod sounds a bit more convenient. But I have added your suggestion as a plan B just in case the tripod route fails. Thanks!

4 hours ago, GavStar said:

In my experience (and I believe Stu’s?) once a better photo tripod is put on the az gti it copes very well with the fc100DC and heavy eyepiece setup up to say 200x which I think is plenty for most planetary work. I tend to stick to around 150-180x when I’m viewing planets. 

having made the switch to goto/tracking, it’s now the only approach I use. I love the fact that the object just stays in the fov and I can just concentrate on observing without recentreing regularly.

What you and vlaiv are saying makes total sense. I remember someone mention that some planet would only stay in the FoV for under 20 sec., and that's from edge to edge. I guess I'll eventually have to try to find an AZ Gti second hand and compare both designs by myself - tracking convenience vs. sturdier manual mount for high mag. I'll confess I'm hoping to get away with mags well over 200x occasionally, since seeing seems recurringly good around here - MeteoBlue's astronomical prediction rated last night as 5-5 / 5-4, and constellations did look fantastic. Fingers crossed!

If mainly observing the objects you mention then a CG5 with tracking in at least right ascension would be good. It can run on a battery and I have used it for visual with a 10kg+ 120ed. I'd definitely agree that a tracking mount takes the fuss out of observing for longish periods. It all depends on your budget which based on your scope choice I presume is reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Ercole mini on a 4 series Gitzo for my FC-100DC, and an AZ5 for my heavier Lunt LS60 and double stack filter, both with binoviewer - and they all work very well. My experience is that most mounts' minimum payload can be exceeded, though obviously not by too much. From what I've read reports suggest you'll be ok with an AZGti. 

Archived