Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering a Canon T6i?

Seanelly

I thought I could power my T6i DSLR from the laptop while imaging for long periods, but this is not so, apparently. Is there a way around this without having to resort to buying more and monitoring battery levels and changing them out when necessary?

You can use a mains-powered dummy battery for the camera if you have mains at your mount, or if you need portable power, a USB-powered dummy battery and one of those portable charging batteries often used for charging a mobile phone. 

Just for example here is the portable setup;

- A dummy battery like this with 2 USB inputs, to ensure that the camera always has enough current to call on;  Amazon.co.uk: Dual USB Power Kit AC Adapter

- And a portable charging battery like this: Amazon.co.uk: 10000mAh Portable Charger 

These are just examples, you can find a wide range of choice on Amazon or eBay, etc. You can get a single USB dummy battery that will probably do as well as the dual USB I've listed, but you only save a few quid, so its up to you.

The dummy battery and an intervalometer were my first AP purchases after the T-ring to attach my DSLR to the scope ?

Hope this helps.

Ady

26 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

You can use a mains-powered dummy battery for the camera if you have mains at your mount

Sorry to be a dummy: There is no extra jack (mains?) on the mount (HEQ5) so does that mean I MUST have the portable setup you linked me to, or can I plug the USB jacks on the dummy battery into the laptop, which is powered from the house?

3 hours ago, Seanelly said:

Sorry to be a dummy: There is no extra jack (mains?) on the mount (HEQ5) so does that mean I MUST have the portable setup you linked me to, or can I plug the USB jacks on the dummy battery into the laptop, which is powered from the house?

Mains = 240v for uk. Do you have a household plug socket at the mount?

USB is 5 volts and the T6i requires 7.4 volts so you need something to step the voltage up (that's what that small black box with the twin leads in the first link does) and, depending on which type of USB socket (1, 2 or 3) you are using, it may not supply enough current for the voltage converter to work. But you can't go straight from a USB port to the dummy battery.

5 hours ago, Seanelly said:

Firstly, you're no dummy - asking questions is the right thing to do. (or if you are, you're in good company :lol:) We've all been through these issues, and the earlier in to the hobby you are the more likely you are to need help - and better to gain from the experience of others. Hopefully somewhere in our ramblings is the answer you need ?

Are you looking for the cheapest possible solution? If so, does your laptop have the 'lightning' symbol over one (or more) of its USB ports? The spec for standard USB is 0.5A which won't be enough to power the camera...

BTW, Is your HEQ5 mains or battery-powered?

There are several methods to increase camera life when imaging and the examples already mentioned are good, this is a list of the possibilities that I use.

1. Battery grip which allows the camera to take two normal batteries at the same time, in my view the best option but is expensive and adds weight, the other benefit for AP is that it moves the battery from inside the camera so reducing thermal noise effects on long exposure frames.

2. Mains powered adapter as mentioned elsewhere, good for prolonged use but not portable.

3. USB powered adapter, works well but you do need the version that uses two USB sockets in my view as the single versions struggle with some cameras. This post details these devices.

4. Similar to the above but using a step down converter and dummy battery to run from a 12V powertank/car battery etc.

Alan

P.S. The laptop USB ports will not provide enough power, dual power banks can deliver 5.1V at 2.1A on each output.

21 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

the other benefit for AP is that it moves the battery from inside the camera so reducing thermal noise effects on long exposure frames.

Just curious - isn't this the same for all the solutions you listed? 

Ady

17 hours ago, Craney said:

Get one of these,    make sure it is the right battery type.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-87130-KIT-Rechargeable-description-Compatibility/dp/B00S5FSZZO

It is an extra battery, but it lasts for days non-stop.

This seems to be the way to go?

15 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Mains = 240v for uk. Do you have a household plug socket at the mount?

The mount has no conventional socket for power, only the jack for the adapter that is powered from the house (120v)

13 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Are you looking for the cheapest possible solution? If so, does your laptop have the 'lightning' symbol over one (or more) of its USB ports? The spec for standard USB is 0.5A which won't be enough to power the camera...

BTW, Is your HEQ5 mains or battery-powered?

I'm looking for 'A' solution, cheap or not, that will supply at least four or five hours of continuous power through one of our usually brutal upcoming Canadian winters. I don't need it to be portable, as with the steep learning curve involved in all this and the fact that I live in a rural area that is not overly light polluted, I will be sticking around the side yard for at least the upcoming winter. Portability will be something to look into in the future. I mentioned above that the mount has only a jack for the adapter that is powered (120v) from the house. (There is no lightning symbol at any of the USB jacks.) I'm now supposing that Craney (above) has supplied an adequate link? At any rate, I think I have the info I need to solve my problem. (And really, only my wife thinks I'm a dummy for actually wanting to spend more hours outside in our fast approaching winter than absolutely necessary, haha.)

What I don't quite understand is if you've got mains to the laptop, why not also use it for mains to the dummy camera battery? I assume you'll also have dew/frost heaters too? That could do with some mains-powered goodness also ☺ 

Not saying you having got it sorted, just thinking that is the simplest solution... 

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

‘At’ the mount not ‘on’ the mount. In other words do you have an extension lead out to the mount that you can also plug in your camera to.  Most of us on here will know what an HEQ5 is ??

Yes, I mentioned earlier that I have power (120v) from my house. I have the mount, the laptop, and the dew heaters powered from it. But I got the impression that I could not run the camera from it. Now you know how green I am. (Thanks for bearing with me, by the way.)

3 hours ago, adyj1 said:

What I don't quite understand is if you've got mains to the laptop, why not also use it for mains to the dummy camera battery? I assume you'll also have dew/frost heaters too? That could do with some mains-powered goodness also ☺ 

Not saying you having got it sorted, just thinking that is the simplest solution... 

(See above.) I thought it was clear that the laptop could not provide enough power to run the camera? From the links provided I did not see anything that simply plugged into 110v that would power the battery/camera, though it sounds now like I was mistaken.  (Thank you for sparing the time with this.)

4 hours ago, Seanelly said:

I did not see anything that simply plugged into 110v that would power the battery/camera, though it sounds now like I was mistaken.  (Thank you for sparing the time with this.)

If you google Canon T6i ac adapter, you should find a range of systems/options. Many come with a dummy battery and this can also be powered from an accumulator with a suitable voltage. 

6 hours ago, almcl said:

If you google Canon T6i ac adapter, you should find a range of systems/options. Many come with a dummy battery and this can also be powered from an accumulator with a suitable voltage. 

I did as you suggested using those exact words and found what I was looking for, thank you. I overthought the whole issue from the start and just ended up confusing myself, in spite of all the appreciated advice trying to steer me in the right direction. $33 Canadian and my headaches are over. Thank you anyone else with the fortitude to hang in there with me!

Archived