Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Win 10 Home to Pro update path

AlistairW

Hello,

If I want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro (from Home). What's the easiest way ? (I would like to avoid a full reinstall)

[Specifically I have found that Win 10 Home does not fully support RDP - so I want to enable that functionality that Pro has].

Thanks

Alistair

4 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Alistair

Sorry mate home to Pro reinstall only no upgrade possible

Andy

I never knew that, always assumed that the factory installed versions of Win 10 had both versions and was just a matter of switching licences..

Alan

But you don;t do it that way, you activate a pro  license key to an existing W10 home box using the system settings| licenses menu.

Now going from 32 bit to 64 bit  - that I understand. That's always been the case. 

I can;t say I've done it in 10, I did it in 8 and 7 by adding the upgrade license. They then got upgraded to 10.

Back up your data to a folder on a usb drive and then re-install a 64bit version OS and restore your data. Dont forget the licenses. 

22 minutes ago, skybadger said:

But you don;t do it that way, you activate a pro  license key to an existing W10 home box using the system settings| licenses menu.

Now going from 32 bit to 64 bit  - that I understand. That's always been the case. 

I can;t say I've done it in 10, I did it in 8 and 7 by adding the upgrade license. They then got upgraded to 10.

Back up your data to a folder on a usb drive and then re-install a 64bit version OS and restore your data. Dont forget the licenses. 

As I found out to my peril. ouch going 32/64

Yes, you just buy a new licence key either direct from the Microsoft Store or from sellers on Amazon etc. Here's how to do it from the store. If you buy a licence key use the same method but instead of clicking on 'Go to Store' click on 'Change Product Key' instead. 

RDP is installed on the machine whether you buy the Home or Pro version. The Pro licence just unlocks it to use it fully.

Alan

If your on win 10 home 64 bit  its easy, no wipe required, but as always backup anything valuable. I have recently done several upgrades and new installs using keys from

https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-category/windows-10/

I have used them a lot, other people have been using them (on here), etc. Costs £20.

Instructions are provided with the key, here they are

11 | P a g e w w w . S o f t w a r e g e e k s . c o . u k
UPGRADING TO 10 PRO. IMPORTANT!
Step 1: Before running the upgrade, you MUST DISCONNECT YOUR COMPUTER FROM THE INTERNET
Step 2: You will need to upgrade to 10 PRO by using the following dummy key in control panel --- system and security --- system --- change product key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Step 3: After the upgrade is completed and you see you have installed Windows 10 PRO in Control panel --- system, RECONNECT YOUR COMPUTER TO THE INTERNET
Step 4: Click on change product key and use the purchased key (Purchased key is always in the email

Archived