NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary Binge

Littleguy80

I had a dark site trip planned last night but as the day went on the forecast got worse and worse. Late afternoon I got a message confirming the trip was off. The forecast for home looked a bit more hopeful so I put the dob out to cool. Taking advantage of the dark early evenings, I settled down to start observing at 7:30pm. With Cassiopeia overhead, I began with some open clusters while my eyes became dark adapted. M103, NGC 663, Stock 2 (The Muscleman Cluster) and finishing with the double cluster. A nice little trek around some lovely clusters taking in the star fields as I moved between them.

My feast of planetary nebula commenced with the Little Dumbbell, M76. An easy spot even without a filter though the UHC filter made it much clearer though. The classic apple core shape obvious even when unfiltered. The Bow Tie Nebula, NGC 40, is becoming a real favourite. A bright central star nestled within a bright nebula. As it was close by, I took a look at the open cluster, M52.  SkySafari reminded me that the Bubble nebula was close by. I know this is a particularly tough target so my expectations were low. I added an OIII filter and was surprised to see what appeared to be a patch of nebulosity in the correct region for the Bubble nebula. I couldn't see anything resembling a bubble but there definitely appeared to be a nebula there. I'm very curious to know what others experiences are of the Bubble nebula. Is there a bright patch of nebulosity close to the Bubble? I'd like to try and confirm what I observed.

OIII filter shootout time. I recently acquired an original Lumicon OIII filter to go along with my Astronomik OIII. I've already done a few side by side comparisons of these. The Veil was the target for the next round of testing. I first observed using the Astronomik OIII, looking first at the Western Veil, checking for any hints of Pickering's triangle nearby and then finishing with the Eastern Veil. The views with the Astronomik were excellent. Not as bright or showing as much detail as when viewed from a dark site but a good showing none the less. Switching to the Lumicon and starting again at the Western Veil, my immediate impression was thar the view is dimmer. However, moving down to Pickering's triangle and this section seemed to be easier to pick out compared to the Astronomik. The Eastern Veil also appeared dimmer but the finer details were easier to see. This has generally been my experience with the Lumicon OIII. A dimmer image but giving greater contrast to the finer details within the nebula.

With the Lumicon OIII still in place, I pointed the scope at M27. I actually said "WOW" out loud on seeing this. There was nothing dim about the Dumbbell Nebula, it was incredibly bright and remained so when the magnification was increased. A real highlight during this session. This kicked off a round of planetary viewing. The Blue Flash nebula, NGC 6905, gave the impression of being a band of nebulosity rather the typical ring or apple core shape. M57 is, of course, the quintessential ring shape and also very bright with the OIII filter. NGC 6826, the Blinking planetary nebulae, is bright and doesn't really blink with an OIII, at least not to my eye. I love the shape of the Cat's Eye nebulae, NGC 6543, the name is well deserved. Whilst not a planetary nebulae, the Pacman nebulae, NGC 281, revealed a large amount of nebulosity though I didn't get what I'd call a pacman shape from it. Despite being low in the sky, M97, the Owl Nebula, was found without too much trouble. I failed to detect the eyes though. In contrast, NGC 7662, the Blue Snowball, was well overhead. I much prefer this unfiltered where the blue colour comes through strongly. NGC 1514 in Taurus is one of the planetaries that I haven't visited for awhile. It's curious target as the central star is very bright and the challenge is in seeing the nebula. An excellent target and well worth seeking out. With the time nearing 10:30pm, I went inside to do the washing up, knowing that Gemini and Orion would have risen above the rooftops when I came back outside.

An hour later, I began again by observing the Eskimo Nebula, NGC 2392. One of the best in my opinion. A bright nebula and a bright central star. No filter required. Soon after, I had managed to get a sighting of Comet 38P/Stephan-Oterma. Using my 9mm Lunt XWA, I was able to view both the comet and the Eskimo nebula in the same field of view! Another highlight! I continued on the comet trail with an observation of 64P/Swift-Geherels. 133x magnification with the 9mm worked best on both comets for me. I followed the two comets with a target that is famed as looking like a comet, Hubble's Variable Nebula, NGC 2261. Quite bright and easy to see even at lower power. The comet like appearance is more like a comet from a cartoon than the real comets that I've observed to date.

The OIII returned for an observation of NGC 2238, the Rosette Nebula. There seemed to be one large patch of particularly thick nebulosity. Even though I wasn't under dark skies, I added an H-Beta filter and roamed around Alnitak in Orion. I wasn't able to detect anything of the flame nebula. I did spend quite a bit of time using SkySafari to try and identify the stars I could see versus those around the Horsehead. The first step along the road to trying to observing the famous dark nebula. As it was close by, I split Sigma Orionis with all 4 stars visible in the eyepiece. One of the multiple star greats! M42 next and an attempt at the E and F stars in the Trapezium. There appeared to be fleeting glimpses of both but nothing that I would call a proper observation. 

With the time now after 12:30am, it was time for a final few targets before bed. The Christmas Tree cluster, NGC 2264, raised a smile. One to show the kids when it rises earlier in the evening. I chanced across Iota Cancri which I believe is one of two 'Winter Albireo', It lacks the golden star of the actual Albireo but is still an eye catcher. First viewing of M44, the Beehive, of the season. I always remember this as being Sir Patrik Moore's favourite target. I had a go at splitting Tegmine. Two stars visible with some elongation on the brighter star being the only hint of the third star. I'm not sure if a true split is possible! I finished up with a crack at the pup star but nothing to be seen around Sirius. I packed up with the time just after 1am. On the one hand, I couldn't help but wonder what I would have seen had my dark site trip gone ahead. However, I'd had a fantastic evening and had no complaints about just how much I'd been able to see all from the comfort of my own back garden. There's still time for a dark site trip before the moon returns!

I'm really impressed by your repertoire. You seem to have a sky full of planetary nebulae at your fingertips. What's your system - a large memory, an atlas, a laptop that doesn't ruin your dark adaptation? I find swapping eyepieces and filters a pain in the neck, especially now it's starting to get chilly at night. What do you do for the smaller planetaries- constantly swap around or stay at high (or even low) mag? 

Sorry for all the questions. It was another very interesting read and I'm looking forward to hearing how cleaning the mirror goes.

Wow Neil what a list!  I’ve been dropping hints for weeks that birthday/Christmas gifts for hard to buy people could include various filters. In the interim I hope to get out to a dark sky site on Sunday and I will take your article with me.

In the absence of a UHC or OIII filter, what would you hope to see on your list at a dark sky site?

John

3 hours ago, domstar said:

I'm really impressed by your repertoire. You seem to have a sky full of planetary nebulae at your fingertips. What's your system - a large memory, an atlas, a laptop that doesn't ruin your dark adaptation? I find swapping eyepieces and filters a pain in the neck, especially now it's starting to get chilly at night. What do you do for the smaller planetaries- constantly swap around or stay at high (or even low) mag? 

Sorry for all the questions. It was another very interesting read and I'm looking forward to hearing how cleaning the mirror goes.

I have to credit to old Nick @cotterless45 and his report for inspiring the planetary viewing 

I use SkySafari on my iPhone while I’m out  as an atlas. I use the display settings to turn the display red and reduce the brightness 95%. It has minimal impact on my dark adaption. I do have quite a few targets memorised now though so I can get to them without looking anything up. 

I will change eyepieces a fair bit. I got a Baader clicklock extension tube which makes swapping eyepieces really quick and easy. I can also screw the filter onto the extension tube which allowed me to change eyepieces without having to move the filter from eyepiece to eyepiece. Works really well!

If time allows, I’m hoping to do the mirror clean over the weeekend. Will post results on my mirror cleaning thread :) 

3 hours ago, westmarch said:

Wow Neil what a list!  I’ve been dropping hints for weeks that birthday/Christmas gifts for hard to buy people could include various filters. In the interim I hope to get out to a dark sky site on Sunday and I will take your article with me.

In the absence of a UHC or OIII filter, what would you hope to see on your list at a dark sky site?

John

Thanks John. In terms of the planetaries, they should all be visible under dark skies. I think the Blue Flash was the faintest that I looked at. Even the Veil can be seen without filters. I had a very clear look at the Eastern Veil through a frac last Friday. It’s much better with an OIII but definitely achievable without. 

Clear skies for Sunday :) 

1 hour ago, David Levi said:

Excellent mega session, Neil, with a great write up. Don't you just love the dark evenings. Early starts and enough time for plenty of sleep as well. The weather isn't playing ball in the west at the moment.

Thanks David. Hope you get some clear skies soon. It can be tough reading observing reports when all you’re seeing is clouds!

Fab stuff Neil, an excellent night and a very enjoyable read.

I do love Sigma Orionis too, one of my favourites.

I managed to get out for a while last night but skies were very milky so I was limited in what I could see.

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fab stuff Neil, an excellent night and a very enjoyable read.

I do love Sigma Orionis too, one of my favourites.

I managed to get out for a while last night but skies were very milky so I was limited in what I could see.

Thank you, Stu. I’m pretty sure it was you who first pointed me in the direction of Sigma Orionis :) 

I had a night like that last Friday at Seething. Dark skies but poor transparency. I’ve had more luck from home this week. 

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

I have to credit to old Nick @cotterless45 and his report for inspiring the planetary viewing 

I use SkySafari on my iPhone while I’m out  as an atlas. I use the display settings to turn the display red and reduce the brightness 95%. It has minimal impact on my dark adaption. I do have quite a few targets memorised now though so I can get to them without looking anything up. 

I will change eyepieces a fair bit. I got a Baader clicklock extension tube which makes swapping eyepieces really quick and easy. I can also screw the filter onto the extension tube which allowed me to change eyepieces without having to move the filter from eyepiece to eyepiece. Works really well!

If time allows, I’m hoping to do the mirror clean over the weeekend. Will post results on my mirror cleaning thread :) 

Is that a Freudian 'eek' in weekend Neil at the thought of cleaning the mirror :grin:

Great report Neil.

Archived